Smooth-On's XTC-3D High Performance Print Coating

Excellent post! I found a UK distributor - http://www.benam.co.uk/products/

The 24 oz (0.6kg) large size is £37 shipped to the UK. Thats roughly $58 dollars. Is this expensive compared to the US? I'm fairly certain it is. Ah well. It'll be worth it when my IM mask comes out smooth instead of the printed line mess that it currently is. Looking forward to what seems to be a game changer.

Man I am loving this stuff. This is a HUGE time saver.
I will say you don't need much at all because a little bit will go a long way. Amazing product and totally worth it.

It depends on the level of finishing work you're doing. I tried it on a piece with detail and it filled it all in smooth (it's self leveling after all lol). It works ok for basic/flat shapes but it needs a good bit of sanding for a truly smooth, finished piece IMO. Certainly has it's uses on low detail areas with a little elbow grease but be careful if your piece has fine details on it.

Glad to see more people trying this product- if it works as well as everyone says it does, then I might try a little harder to get into 3D printing some of my things.

If anyone has some scrap EVA and wouldn't mind testing a piece, I know lots of people here would be glad to see the results. I don't expect it to have flex, but if it can be brushed on and it doesn't require a base layer of PVA, that would be awesome!

Thanks for sharing guys :)

I think on eva foam the thing might break.
Ill try it over the weekend. I will be using XTC-3D on some prints might as well do a bit on a test piece of eva.

What about kit pieces that are meant to fit together? Seems like it would alter the fit. Maybe assemble first and then coat the assembly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XTC-3D works great on foam. It will take 2-3 coats to build up the strength but it is hard with minimal flex. It gives a great finish though and if you want it glossy you don't even need to sand.

Certainly has it's uses on low detail areas with a little elbow grease but be careful if your piece has fine details on it.

I also wonder how it compares to just using a good spray-filler. (Spray filler can also fill in fine details if you go at it, but you have fairly good control over thickness and can lay down very thin layers if needed.) I'd be interested in seeing how it works as a quick spot-filler in some areas. Bondo-type fillers need a lot of ventilation and modeling putty takes forever to cure.

I also wonder how it compares to just using a good spray-filler. (Spray filler can also fill in fine details if you go at it, but you have fairly good control over thickness and can lay down very thin layers if needed.) I'd be interested in seeing how it works as a quick spot-filler in some areas. Bondo-type fillers need a lot of ventilation and modeling putty takes forever to cure.

If you have details, stick with the filler primer. That's thick but unless you over use it, it still shows details through, it's what I've always used.

It might be a pre-requisite in this group to have a partially finished Iron Man helm sitting around your house. Digging the Mjolnir though.

It might be a pre-requisite in this group to have a partially finished Iron Man helm sitting around your house. Digging the Mjolnir though.

Haha I have too too many partially finished projects sitting around my house. I start one then Ohhhh that's a cool idea let me put that project on the back burner for about a year to start 20 others

This stuff is great, but if you have parts that fit together, don't coat the pieces where they'll join, and if you ha e details, go light and maker sure to brush away as much as you can, otherwise, game changer.

I think on eva foam the thing might break.
Ill try it over the weekend. I will be using XTC-3D on some prints might as well do a bit on a test piece of eva.

Very sorry about necro-ing this thread, but I was wondering if anyone ever got around to testing it over eva foam and if so what the result was? No one ever said!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back