Sidious Lightsaber - Is Any Version Besides the "Original" Ever Seen On Screen?

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a couple extra (not MR) Sidious lightsabers that I've kicked around the idea of altering/repainting to match what some refer to as the "V2" which is a dark bronze and silver color scheme, with a Covertech wheel attached. Then there is what is seen in the Visual Dictionary, which is the version we are all used to (that Master Replicas made), except instead of the brownish main body color, is grey. Does anyone know of any instance either of these (or other versions I may be unaware of) are actually seen in the movie? I'm not really interested if not. The info on these variations has seemed to dwindle over the past years.

I have a couple extra (not MR) Sidious lightsabers that I've kicked around the idea of altering/repainting to match what some refer to as the "V2" which is a dark bronze and silver color scheme, with a Covertech wheel attached. Then there is what is seen in the Visual Dictionary, which is the version we are all used to (that Master Replicas made), except instead of the brownish main body color, is grey. Does anyone know of any instance either of these (or other versions I may be unaware of) are actually seen in the movie? I'm not really interested if not. The info on these variations has seemed to dwindle over the past years.
I don't think there are but there aren't so many informations about that prop. Even the 2 (3,?) paint schemes remain mysterious. I used to think the initial hero version was the dark bronze one seen during the duel against Yoda, then they made another chrome plated one for the reshoots when Palpatine fights against Windu, the one you see popping out of his sleeve. At first Palpatine used Anakin's lightsaber to fights Windu and it is still visible on some shoots. I've made some research a while back and didn't find many informations. Here is all I have unfortunately and I think you already know/have all these informations.

800px-SIDIOUS_S_BLACK_SABER.PNG

200701261547298271.jpg

sidoius20display1.JPG

Star-Wars-Revenge-Of-The-Sith-Emperor-palpatines-hero-saber-1.jpg

I've also found a chrome plated dark bronze prop which is said to be production used
9gu5w46nn7d61.jpg

Like Benjo mentions, this prop was literally a last-minute thing because of the change to the Windu/Anakin-to-Palpatine chamber duel. The "hero" hilt was made primarily for insert shots after the scene was shot, and the one for the senate duel with Yoda was likely made shortly after that or concurrently. It's quite right there isn't much material on it; it was almost literally made on the spot, on the day. Palpatine's lightsaber(s) from RotS are some of my favorite hilts in all of the six films, and I've been researching as much as I can too on them. Unfortunately, there's just not much. I'm actually working on a set of cast aluminium and cast bronze versions for myself.

In the intervening years, the only things of relevance that's cropped up are things like the photos benjo has posted. The last one comes from a Reddit topic from a kid who's grandfather worked on chrome-plating the props. This is one of two publicly known prototypes for paint schemes of the hilt (I think) that left the production. The other one was the one auctioned by Propstore. You can see just by comparing above what the differences in the third photo are to the real screen-used prop. The final choices for paint are similar but ultimately different, along with the addition of extra greebles, and the loss/softening of some details.

The pic below is of the hilt auctioned by Propstore. The final color choices for the hilt(s) was chrome, gold, and then a gunmetal on top of the gold to make it look like electrum. Here, you can see them experimenting to what levels were appropriate. Beyond these, there's never been a "purple" hilt like the MR one that was made.

5a548a95af792262c80f40bd8214afba.jpg

Personally, this version of the "V2," maybe an early experiment that ultimately led to the final version, is my preferred (but the final on-screen V2 has grown on me). I can't find a decent full image as it seems it's all but disappeared online, but the lighter smoke with the sharp copper color really speaks to me.

palpatines-lightsaber_c261c820.jpg

Last edited:
I always keep an open mind when it comes to things like this. I go with the “if it’s possibly, then maybe…” type of thinking.

So I have to wonder if you have a hero type prop that is machined and plated and if the stunt props type plating/ paint couldn’t exactly duplicate the look or maybe not concerned as 99.999% movie goers would ever care about such things. Or there is always the possibility that the plating changed color over time and that the hilt may look different between pre and post production.

This is good stuff! So it seems to me that if we are talking what is identifiable on screen, then we are looking at the "Version 1" which would be what we see in the close up in Palpatine's hand right before he fights Windu, and the "Version 2" which is probably a painted stunt version trying to mimic the color scheme, seen in his hand of the one shot during the Yoda duel?

Or there is always the possibility that the plating changed color over time and that the hilt may look different between pre and post production.

This was my feeling when I saw the photo recently on reddit. It just looks old and like it has been handled a lot over the years.

So I have to wonder if you have a hero type prop that is machined and plated and if the stunt props type plating/ paint couldn’t exactly duplicate the look or maybe not concerned as 99.999% movie goers would ever care about such things. Or there is always the possibility that the plating changed color over time and that the hilt may look different between pre and post production.

There was never a metal version of this hilt made for production. The majority of the hilts at the time of RotS were 3D sculpted and printed, cleaned, and chrome plated or vacuum-metalized. With this kind of production, they were able to make a number of these things pretty quickly to test paint methods and finish. There's three examples just posted here, who knows how many they ultimately went through before the final was approved.

So it seems to me that if we are talking what is identifiable on screen, then we are looking at the "Version 1" which would be what we see in the close up in Palpatine's hand right before he fights Windu, and the "Version 2" which is probably a painted stunt version trying to mimic the color scheme, seen in his hand of the one shot during the Yoda duel?

This is correct as far as I know. However, whether the V2 seen in the movie or the stunt version came first and influenced the other, I don't know for sure. Seeing as Lucas had to sign off on everything, including props, I think the V2 "hero" came first and that informed the look for the stunt hilts that followed it.

These are some quick screencaps from the BTS footage for RotS' fencing stunt hilts:

Here's the Palpy V2 in the upper left in the bottom drawer of the hilt "cupboard."

StuntPalpy.jpg

Drawer #2 and #3 have four (or more) Palpatine fencing hilts in total from what the video shows, all done in the V2 color scheme. There aren't any Hero Palpatine fencing hilts as that was originally Anakin v. Windu and the Skinnyflex stunt was used.

FencingStuntPalpy.jpg
FencingStuntPalpy2.jpg

And here's something fun, paging thd9791, they actually had the Barbican and V3 in possession, and maybe an Icons Graflex, to work off of to make the hilts for Ep.III. To not completely derail the thread, the Palpatine Hero is also in the "Hero" hilt box.

Ep.3StuntsBarbicanV3.jpg
Ep.3StuntsBarbicanV3pt2.jpg

Before taking a closer look at these I have a “story” about the palpatine hilt.

Just taken as a story, I was told by someone in the plaster shop that they kind of ran out of time or something and people rushed into the fab shops and asked people to doodle lightsabers. Maybe it was for fun, maybe it was a time constraint thing, I don’t know for sure. One of this guys friends apparently was the “winner” and he had the 2D computer design template/mock up to prove it haha

I hope it’s true, it’s a wonderful story

Oh god that might be the ranch saber. There are notches in the grips, I don’t think icons did that, or that lucasfilm ever owned a replica like that

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back