Showoff : Custom Illuminated Base for Stormtrooper Mannequin

I definately think it would have been more interesting if you had some light pointing up at the trooper, giving a orange glow to the edges of the armor.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ May 2 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]1236685[/snapback]</div>
Since the arms are hollow, how exactly did you get the wires to stay at the elbows? Any pics of how you did the feet? I cut mine mid-foot and I can BARELY get the boots on him, much less get them off again.
[/b]

I cut about 3" out of each arm where the mannequin's elbows were.... I used wire coathangers for the flexible elbows... didn't unravel them... just pulled them out into a long rectangle and jammed one end up the hollow biceps, and the other end down the hollow forearms, so basically there's a double length holding each arm together. I then laid some glassfibre matt (saturated with glassfibre resin) between the inside wall of the arms and the wire, and also over the top of the wire, so it sealed it tight against the wall of the arms. Then when it had set I filled the elbow 'void' with bubble wrap and foam, finished off with some duct-tape to hold it all together and give it a natural shape.
Unfortunately I didn't take any pics at this stage, as I was getting 'near the end' and was too impatiennt to take time out for photographs. :p

As for the feet... I noticed early on that the mannequin didn't lean foward on it's toes when standing on the base (with the steel support through the heel of it's right foot) so I decided to amputate the toes altogether.
So the feet are really just 3/4 feet which I then made 2-part with the blocks of wood inside and the screws etc. etc. Hasn't affected it's stability at all, and makes it less stressfull putting on, and taking off the boots.
Again I haven't any pics of this stage, but hopefully you understand what I mean :)

I've had a few PM's asking if the rear of the base has lighted panels as well, and asking for pics of the rear of the costume. Yes, the base has 6 lighted panels... one on each side, with the rear 3 sides being a mirror image of the front 3 (although the back centre panel has a small hole for the electrical cable)
Unfortunately the mannequin and costume is currently at my friend's office / showroom, and the nature of his businesss means I can't take pics... Sorry :unsure

Cheers,
John

John, it looks great.

A few more questions.

Where did you get the mannequin, its a great pose, and i am currently looking for one in the UK.

Perhaps you could do a little tutorial on how to make the stand, i know i would love to try and make one myself. Do the lights just plug into the mains? Also how much did the mannequin and stand cost?

Looks great

Thanks

Lewis

oh any pics of the hands without gloves.

Thanks

Very well done. I've always loved the Carbon Chamber theme for a display.

Very well done. I've always loved the Carbon Chamber theme for a display.

now that has to be the most simple way to display your trooper, yet
in just that effort you have created an impactful display

absolutelly bitchen

I need to follow your example when I do up for display
our 2 troopers and darth in the middle

very very well done

thank you for sharing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LDR @ May 3 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]1237556[/snapback]</div>
Where did you get the mannequin, its a great pose, and i am currently looking for one in the UK.
Perhaps you could do a little tutorial on how to make the stand, i know i would love to try and make one myself. Do the lights just plug into the mains? Also how much did the mannequin and stand cost?
[/b]

I bought the mannequin off eBay about 18 months ago... don't remember the seller but the cost was about £85 I think?
I'll see if I can throw together some tips about how to make the base, but I don't think I have enough pics to do a full-blown tutorial :unsure

The lights were about £14 each from B&Q... they 'daisy chain' together, with the end light connecting directly to the mains so no ugly mains transformer is needed :thumbsup There's a large range of different link-lights in B&Q, but I chose a style which has a built-in diffuser-lense over the flourescent light strip, so there's less chances of getting 'hot spots' - ie. the light is evenly distributed... and I painted the inside of the base with gloss white to maximise the light reflection :)

Cheers,
John

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back