Sherlock Coat opinions/info?

It's far from accurate, but for an off the shelf find, not bad at all. Are they touting it as a Sherlock or Detective coat in the Hot Topic?

So I ordered my tssy2005 coat 6 days ago and gave them my measurements 5 days ago. They received them and said they would need pictures of me to know my body shape (given to them 4 days ago) and additional payment because it would be oversized, which I gave them 3 days ago. Finally, 2 days ago they said they would give the information to their factory and that the coat would be ready in usually 10 working days. This morning I got an email saying the coat had shipped!

I'm just...should I be concerned that it only took them 2 days to make the coat? Has that been the experience with other people here that have ordered with them?

OMG. you guys are all epic, and now I feel like a potato... until I get some monies and can make my coat. I'm going to use all the info here to alter the Vogue 1266 pattern to build a Sherlock coat that fits me perfectly. I love the Tailoring book that was recommended and am now lusting after those buttons that you've made Risu.
of course I'll be sharing it when I finally get to that point.

You guys were right about tssy2005! I love my coat! And they were so fast! :) Wondering if the coat is water resistant. Enough that I can wear it out if it's raining out? I've never had a wool or wool blend coat before. Has anyone had experience with that?

Hi Guys,

Im a long-time lurker. I only just recently became .. obsessed with this coat. I like Sherlock, but dont LOVE Sherlock. Its all the coat! I needed an everyday coat and actually just made the purchase for a custom wool coat via Tssy2005.

I have noticed that a few users posted a few pictures and gave a quick opinion about the coat. I'm a part-time leathersmith, and cosplayer/costumer. So i'll give my 2-cents on the thing as best I can when it gets in.

Cheers!

Hey everyone!

I made a great find today at Hot Topic of all places! Check THIS out!
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb149/Sharpshooter88_2007/IMG_2515.jpghttp://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb149/Sharpshooter88_2007/IMG_2516.jpg

It's not spot on obviously, but for only $80 bucks, it fits the bill. It fits really well, although I had to buy a size up (Large) because my arms felt like they would tear out of a medium.

It hits my legs where it should and feels really nice. Collar sits up nicely too...http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb149/Sharpshooter88_2007/IMG_2517.jpg

So all in all, a good buy for the money. I'm pretty happy with it! http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb149/Sharpshooter88_2007/IMG_2518.jpg

Dang, I didn't know Hot Topic sold things like that. Tempted to go check out my local one now.

HEY GUYS!
So my -Tssy2005- Sherlock Custom coat came in.

NO PICTURES. So im Very sorry. Also, keep in mind I purchased the coat with the thought in mind; I like sherlock but I dont love sherlock. So how accurate it is isnt what im looking at in my review of this coat. Just the coat itself; and my opinions on the coat.

RUNDOWN:
The material is a decent quality wool. Refer to user anthonygrey on page 24 for a few good shots of his coat.
But like I said; the material is decent quality wool. More than likely it's a wool blend with a minimum of 35% - 60% wool and Polyester to fill in the rest. Overall the coat is about 3.5 lbs; which is what one would look for in weight overall for a decent wool coat. but if you compare your coat to pictures of an actual Belstaff worn by Sherlock, you'll notice that the material itself is not as .. heavy as one used in the $2k+ coat.

The coat itself actually flows quite nicely. I bought the coat simply for the desire of something simple/elegant and I really enjoy WIDE lapels on a coat. The only thing I dont like is how the pleats drape on the back; I may actually run it under my machine to get some perma-pleat action going on. Though, it doesn't at all kill it for me. Another thing to note is that the coat is creased here and there from the way it was folded and shipped. The fabric is on the softer side; and I may send the coat to a dry-cleaning service to see if the chemicals and cleaners they use will improve the ..stiffness of the coat.

As far as warmth goes, in 40 degrees Fahrenheit wearing a t-shirt and trousers, I was a bit nippy. And i'm a heavier guy at about 250lb who enjoys the cold. Wearing a blazer underneath, and a scarf around my neck, I was pleasantly comfortable (Sherlock wears a jacket underneath the overcoat, so the idea kind is kind of kept in line). Once, however, you warm up from general walking the coat is quite comfortable to wear.

Being a heavier guy, I went custom as far as the fit goes. I'm a larger guy, so my measurements fall in line for what a 2XL would be. It should be noted with the coat closed the fabric bunches around the buttons a bit from pull. Which, for me as a larger guy is bound to happen. With someone who is more fit this would probably be LESS of a problem. I feel in the future that I may pull the stitching apart; or even have a professional do so, to fit felt in the coat to bolster some areas; particularly in the shoulders close to the neck, the collar, and lapel regions. Just for the ... added "thicknes".

The buttons are actually of surprising quality given that they're made of plastic. I removed mine and moved them in closer to the buttonholes for a less-snug coat. The overall build is actually solid, and more in line with an autumn/early winter coat than a heavy-winter coat. The way its put together is actually quite flawless. Im a professional costumer and I hate having to buy anything from China, but im surprised by how well-tailored this is. It's very comfortable. My only other qualm is that it is BARELY snug in the shoulders. I would prefer something a little looser, but im curious if it were an error on my part with the measurements that I gave.

OVERALL; I'm very pleased with the coat. Those who are looking for the 2-thousand-dollar belstaff quality will not find it here. Though it is a decent-quality coat. My overall wish would be that the material be thicker; which im curious if those who have contacted tssy2005 and the company have made this suggestion at all. I can easily compare the quality of this trench coat to a tweed blazer that I purchased some years ago. And they match. lol.
I do feel that the coat was well-worth the 200 dollars I paid for it.

Oh! It should be noted, I got the coat in exactly 1-week. Pretty quickly, especially since its from china!

Im no writer, so im sorry if I sound weird. If you guys have any questions post them and i'll try my best to answer them. Eventually i'll get around to posting pictures!

Thanks!

Cheers!

Hello all. New here, and am amazed at all the great work, and how you all have banded together to help each other.
i have a question that I am sure has been asked a million times, but has anyone found out what supplier in London provided the original fabric, the model number of it or name, and tried to obtain it? Seems to me going to the source makes sense, and if they won't provide it the fabric, getting a consensus on the absolute best approximation of the fabric sold elsewhere for people. I don't design or make clothing, but if I ever wanted to copy something, I would ask the guy that made it. He may help, or not, but I would simply ask.

if anyone has had luck and want to share that would be great. Maybe start a threat called consensus materials and designs, since you all help each other anyway, which is so cool. Centralize the topic, for the tailors.

Anyway, nice to be here, great job all of you.

bill

If anyone is interested , Belstaff are bringing out a version of the sherlock coat this autumn/ winter season. A release date has not been announced yet though. I would be exited but given the fact that if I bought the coat it would be very expensive and it isn't really a coat I would wear as it stands out. But it certainly is quite interesting that they have decided to bring it back now.

Directly from the company. There are already pictures up in a few places. Also, the new season is technically 2016, but they are doing a one off episode for Christmas this year. It may be a tie in to that. The coat pictured did not look exactly like the coat from show. I think its slightly different.

Hello everyone,

After reading this thread for a while, I have finally decided to create an account to ask my question, as there seem to be multiple people here who have experiences with buying this coat from different sellers.
My most important question is probably the following: Is the tssy2005 coat from ebay worth its price in terms of quality? (I seem to understand that this is the best option for anyone unwilling to pay more than $500.)
To give all of you a more detailed description of what I am looking for, perhaps it's worth noting that I was looking for a coat like this even before I knew what Sherlock was. Last December my normal coat finally kicked the bucket and I've found myself searching for a new one ever since. So when it came to my wishes as to how I would like the new garment to look, I thought of a dark grey wool coat, preferably knee-length, with a medium/large collar that could be worn up should I wish to do so. Also I pictured a frock coat like rear vent and went to multiple stores in my proximity. Needless to say this search turned out to be rather unsuccessful. When I went online I could only find classic, straight-cut trenchcoats, not at all like the 'cape-like' backside I was looking for.
And then (rather by coincidence) I saw a story on Mister Cumberbatch on BBC that featured a few short clips of his current television show and I immediately saw my imagination materialised in the coat he was wearing. The only real difference was that I initially wanted a regular belt, the kind that trenchcoats have, but this isn't a prerequisite.
So it all comes down to whether the quality is worth its price (I believe $160). Keep in mind that it isn't important to me how accurate a reproduction the coat is, it's only about quality. Or should I just keep looking for other coats? With products like this a part of the price is usually only for the fact that it LOOKS similar, but again, this isn't critically important to me. Can I get better quality for the same money?

Sincerely,
TheSonAndHeir

You might try searching eBay for World War 2 great coat. Please where the heavy wool overcoat worn by various Army like US, , British, German, Russian, etc. They are usually Bologna links and have a belt. and often can be found reasonably priced. at least search for vintage 1940s overcoats

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back