Sculpting a likeness

gem20

Hi everyone,

I am about to embark on my first attempt at sculpting a likeness (eek!!), and was wondering if anyone had any tips? I am going to (attempt to) sculpt a bust, about 10 inches tall, of Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne.
I am a recent graduate of a modelmaking degree, so I have sculpted before, but I've never sculpted a likeness. At the moment I've got images printed out at scale and am taking measurements from them, and I have the basic shape roughed out in plasteline.

Does anyone have any important tips on sculpting a likeness, or on sculpting a realistic looking person/skin texture? Thank you!! :)

I can't help you at all except to say don't be afraid to start over and over as many times as it takes until you're satisfied. Over at The Clubhouse forum you can tickle the brains of some of the most talented sculptors in the garage kit industry. I'm sure they can give you some pointers.

Collect as much reference material you can, even the from the same angle but with different lighting. I'm surprised they didn't make you sculpt a likeness. When i was in my one art class they had kids from the special effects/model making doing sculptures of themselves starting with carving their own skull out of a foam head and building it up with clay.

Collect as much reference material you can, even the from the same angle but with different lighting. I'm surprised they didn't make you sculpt a likeness. When i was in my one art class they had kids from the special effects/model making doing sculptures of themselves starting with carving their own skull out of a foam head and building it up with clay.

Yeah thanks, good advice with the lighting on the reference material. No, they didn't make me sculpt a likeness, but I guess that's because I did a pathway that included more hard-edged models. So I've learned loads of other skills instead, but I enjoy sculpting, and feel it's about time to do some more of it :) Thank you!!

There are some extremely talented members here on The RPF! I'm sure they would be more that happy to offer all sorts of advise & tips to help you along, though I would think your likely to get more response by starting a thread in the Sculpture & makeup section :)

Sculpture and Makeup Effects

HTH :)

There are some extremely talented members here on The RPF! I'm sure they would be more that happy to offer all sorts of advise & tips to help you along, though I would think your likely to get more response by starting a thread in the Sculpture & makeup section :)

Sculpture and Makeup Effects

HTH :)

Ahhhh that section totally by-passed me haha! Will re-post this thread in that section now! Thank you!!! ;-)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back