Sanderson Sisters (Hocus Pocus) help

JupiterThdrbolt

Hi! So I'm building all three Sanderson Sisters costumes from Hocus Pocus, and I'm running into a problem sourcing a material. Hopefully one of you can help?

Mary's purple apron:
Hocus%u00252BPocus%u00252BKathy%u00252BNajimy%u00252Boutfit.jpg

I remember this piece of fabric! My best friend had a blanket on her couch made of the exact same stuff! Of course that was the early-mid 90s and that blanket is long gone, and I can't find anything remotely close to it now. Does anyone have any leads? Or does anyone know what this is called so I can at least search more effectively? Thanks!!

(I'm keeping the thread title vague in case I run into more trouble with a different sister. Wish me luck! :))

I LOVE seeing people do these costumes.

I did Mary and Sarah a few years ago and I ran into the same problem with some of the fabrics, especially Mary's apron. I tried all kinds of searches (eyelash fabric, rainbow fabric, etc.) but I never found anything right. In the end I found a vintage tweed skirt online and cut that up. It's still not quite right, but it comes close and gets the point across well enough. A friend also gave me some variegated eyelash yarn in the right colors, so I still need to weave that through the fabric to break up the color and add more texture, plus do some weathering to darken it.
WP_20150912_041.jpg WP_20150912_038.jpg

My Mary and Sarah are kind of in limbo between finished enough to be wearable and having some pieces remade or improved, and I haven't been very good about documenting any of it, but I'd be happy to help with anything else that comes up.

Also, Kelldar and Castle Corsetry have made really great Sanderson Sisters costumes, so they'd be good people to go to for inspiration or questions.

I LOVE seeing people do these costumes.

I did Mary and Sarah a few years ago and I ran into the same problem with some of the fabrics, especially Mary's apron. I tried all kinds of searches (eyelash fabric, rainbow fabric, etc.) but I never found anything right. In the end I found a vintage tweed skirt online and cut that up. It's still not quite right, but it comes close and gets the point across well enough. A friend also gave me some variegated eyelash yarn in the right colors, so I still need to weave that through the fabric to break up the color and add more texture, plus do some weathering to darken it.
View attachment 763521 View attachment 763520

My Mary and Sarah are kind of in limbo between finished enough to be wearable and having some pieces remade or improved, and I haven't been very good about documenting any of it, but I'd be happy to help with anything else that comes up.

Also, Kelldar and Castle Corsetry have made really great Sanderson Sisters costumes, so they'd be good people to go to for inspiration or questions.

That's a good find on Mary's apron! I wound up having someone knit the apron for me. I haven't seen it IRL yet but the pictures look good. Cross your fingers for me :)

I've seen Castle Corsetry's costumes before, but not Kelldar. She did a really nice Sarah! I'm going to have to delve deeper into her photos!

Sourcing fabric for this project has been kind of a nightmare. I wound up with upholstery fabric for Mary's corset and curtains for Sarah's, and I've had to dye way more fabric than I cared to. But I lucked out and found the perfect fabric for Mary's top at a local fabric store, no mods necessary!

21766639_367482533681249_2389900930466279864_n.jpg

I'm so close to being done with this project, I'll have to remember to post pics :)

That's a good find on Mary's apron! I wound up having someone knit the apron for me. I haven't seen it IRL yet but the pictures look good. Cross your fingers for me :)

I've seen Castle Corsetry's costumes before, but not Kelldar. She did a really nice Sarah! I'm going to have to delve deeper into her photos!

Sourcing fabric for this project has been kind of a nightmare. I wound up with upholstery fabric for Mary's corset and curtains for Sarah's, and I've had to dye way more fabric than I cared to. But I lucked out and found the perfect fabric for Mary's top at a local fabric store, no mods necessary!

View attachment 763552

I'm so close to being done with this project, I'll have to remember to post pics :)

I asked a friend about knitting the apron and nothing really came of it at the time. But if it's working for yours, I might have to think about looking into that option again. (And fingers are crossed! :) )

All the fabrics are soooo specific, it's frustrating. I went through so many searches and swatches looking for just the right thing for everything. I initially used burlap for Mary's corset, but I'm remaking it with a curtain panel.

I'm jealous of that shirt fabric! That was one I struggled with the most, and I never found anything quite right. I ended up with some plain cotton in a good color, and I'm eventually going to stitch the stripes on. But I keep hoping to find something better.

Definitely post photos! I'm looking forward to seeing everything finished!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back