Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Great work!! I'm in the stage of lining up all parts and figuring how to mount everything. Very helpful this is. I have a question. It looks like you bolted the shoulder piece to the bicep. Is that what I see? I was wondering if you could post pics a little more in depth with how the bicep and forearm will keep from sliding down.

Yes, the shoulder is bolted to the bicep, the bicep is bolted to the forearm and the shoulder is connected to the top of the collar/back with a nylon strap and buckle. I actually don't like this system and will be modifying it for the next one. Too much limitation in movement of the arms. I couldn't even reach my face to raise the faceplate, scratch my nose or have a drink.

Chest and back inner-brace done.

CE6yhMY.jpg

mbsuxJy.jpg

1. Tracing the printed paper templates onto cardboard.

NVPvTxE.jpg

2. Cardboard chest-piece template done. Comparing it with one I prepared earlier. A very challenging part of the costume to get right.

oGjB74e.jpg

Cardboard showing me already where I will need to expand, modify or trim a few things before cutting out aluminium templates.

qIHdjdl.jpg

7YNQwPV.jpg

For those of you who have been asking how I am going to colour my aluminium Iron Man suit, I won't be painting it - I will be anodising it. Here is a sample.

B47hXyy.jpg

Back assembled. This was actually way easy to put together. I was dreading it thinking it was going to be complicated.

HfqKlN5.jpg

Back all painted up. I know it's only cardboard, but will still finish up as a nice statue while I build the aluminium one.

qCc2GOy.jpg

Rgootov.jpg

53vLnLW.jpg

1. All the bits for the helmet cut out ready for folding and gluing.

wSv5O9M.jpg

2. Helmet partially assembled. Too tired to finish it tonight.

uuYopM3.jpg

3. Helmet assembled and painted the next morning.

PSBnq28.jpg

4. Faceplate assembled.

SecjBAP.jpg

5. Faceplate and helmet. I've got some shaping to do to make it all symmetrical.

tAJRF1F.jpg

6. Helmet on torso.

OtTObCh.jpg

Last night I completed the hip pods and spine.

1. Spine installed.

2TCniBR.jpg

2. Hip pods assembled.

9Edvxpz.jpg

3. Hip Pods installed.

uSKbvtO.jpg

The pieces are starting to come together nicely. A few adjustments and it's ready for the transfer to aluminium!

ylm4SUj.jpg

wSJWnne.jpg

1. Show me a clean floor and I'll show you no work being done....

ftjYeNe.jpg

2. A couple of cartons of beer went into this shin.

mu43gUm.jpg

3. Left leg complete. Got to make another boot out of cardboard tonight to replace the foam trial boot.

LwF4hOf.jpg

1. Last boot. Practice makes perfect. I'm so glad I have approached this incrementally. The fibreglass/car-bog method was good to learn, but messy, expensive and time consuming in the extreme. Doing a boot in foam was also a good learning experience, but still not practical. Finally moving on to cardboard before the aluminium build, each part I make just gets better in quality as I gain experience. This is the third boot I have made and I reckon it's 100% on the first one.

l3JfKiw.jpg

2. Forearms assembled.

oCExr05.jpg

3. Articulated handplates assembled.

COtkYTB.jpg

4. Only the hands left to go now.

u4tfVRD.jpg

amazed!

edit: I assume you use jfcustoms files ,right ?

Can you give me your height and the scale you used for the parts ?

Thanks !

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back