San Diego Comic-Con 2014 SDCC

I'm in the Open registration category this year because I didn't go last year. Had I known this was going to happen, I would have bought a single day pass I wasn't going to use just to be able to get in before everything gets sold out.

If ticket sales are anything like the previous 2 years, there's going to be a lot of people with split day badges (Thursday/Sunday and MAAAAAAAYBE Friday) and tickets for the Saturday show will just about sell out during pre-registration. This sucks especially for people who won't be able to pick up their badges early (SDCC Policy makes it especially difficult to get a single day badge more than 24 hours in advance), be forced to wait in the horrid "badge-for-conformation-paperwork swap" lines just to get in, and will most likely miss out on panels that happen before noon. And forget about getting into Hall H before 4pm.

I don't know (other than the cash grab) why they decided to eliminate the 4 day with preview night badge option. Only the most hardcore of hardcore were buying them, and those folks genuinely WANT to be there the whole time. Most of those people are spending the whole weekend in town, and turning it into a summer vacation. Plus it was a single trip through the registration line and you were golden the rest of the weekend. I can't imagine how terrible it is going to be to stand outside in July weather, fully costumed, for 2+ hours while you wait your turn for your single day-pass.

In addition, since SDCC has said you'll have to keep this years badges for pre-registration NEXT year, will you have to use them individually to get the same days as you got the previous year? Will you only be able to pre-buy the days you got and hope you can get the remaining days during the open registration? Think about it...If everyone who gets a single day badge this year pre-registers for next year, then there aren't going to be any tickets for anyone else outside this same years show, and those who do pre-register will be able to buy days they didn't get the year before, thus eliminating MORE open registration options for people who just want to come see what all the hype is about.

I don't at all understand what SDCC's endgame is here. They are setting themselves up for serious blow-back from the very same people who made them as big as they are.

Mike I would say this if you want to do a con in the US, but are worried about the trouble with badges and stuff of SDCC there are plenty of good cons that happen with out any of the hassle. Speaking from experience I know Wondercon and Comikaze are both great Southern Cali cons, and I have heard from many others that Emerald City(Seattle) and Mega Con(Chicago) are very good cons at all to name just a few. Lastly there is also the mega con of them all next to SDCC Dragon-Con. I also know that both Wondercon and Comikaze are no hassle with badges and pre ordering tickets. I also have heard there is little to no trouble with Emerald City or Mega Con. I am not sure about Dragon-Con and tickets/badges I do hear that is nearly as large if not as large as SDCC

However all that being said I would love to get a ticket for Saturday Comic Con on Saturday and go every year after that!

Last edited:
Let me get this straight:

I did not attend last year.

2014 badges are not yet available to the masses yet.

I will need to register, at some time in the near future to enter a lottery system.

There is no advanced notifiation of when this Open registration window is. Correct?

Correct?

EDIT: Thanks VIVEK, reading a thread is full of gold. Why couldnt SDCC just make that easier, like: Want to purchase badges?? Click here and this is the process. Now that I said that......it probably does and I didnt read that also:lol

Last edited:
Let me get this straight:

I did not attend last year.

2014 badges are not yet available to the masses yet.

I will need to register, at some time in the near future to enter a lottery system.

There is no advanced notifiation of when this Open registration window is. Correct?

Correct?

EDIT: Thanks VIVEK, reading a thread is full of gold. Why couldnt SDCC just make that easier, like: Want to purchase badges?? Click here and this is the process. Now that I said that......it probably does and I didnt read that also:lol

You need to register at the Comi-Con site. Do it now.

People who attended last time will get first whack when announced.

They will hold back on badges for people that did not attend last time though
and those will be offered later.

No lotto system I have heard of. Be ready to be on your computer when necessary like
last time is probably how it is going to go down again. But who knows.

Ok so Im registered and did the conformation email thing.

So in the Marriott world, Platinum is the highest* level. BUT, there is a secret member level higher than that. Marriott takes the top 3% of the Platinum members and gives them a Platinum Premiere status. You get a super special 24 hour concierge line, you get to bump people etc. In the past I have used this to get rooms for Super Bowl etc. Kinda crappy for the average Joe, but I spent 107 nights in a Marriott last year.......dont hate the player, hate the game.

I just got off the phone with the super secret Marriot reservation people. BUST, nada, zip zilch. They told me that Comicon has contracted to do reservations for ALL Marriotts in the downtown area. Last year I toyed with going and had a back door into the Marinna Marriott as long as I book 4 nights. NOPE, they have a contract.

If nothing in downtown is available, Anywhere in Mission Valley wihere the trolly goes should be fine, or if you bring your car stay where you can drive easily to Mission Valley and grab the trolly.

OK so three options are:

Hotel Coronado, bring the wife.

Stay with my daughter and kick out her room mates.

Fle Bag hotel downtown....thats half the fun right?

Right now Flea Bag sounds like the most fun. I dont wan tot drive.

This hotel thing is frustrating....... SDCC wont release any hotels until the badges go on sale..... Im even thinking of renting a pimp RV and parking it at Wallmart. Not really.

This hotel thing is frustrating....... SDCC wont release any hotels until the badges go on sale..... Im even thinking of renting a pimp RV and parking it at Wallmart. Not really.

If I am able to get tickets, the family and I will be making the trip in a PIMP RV. PIMP RV park instead of Wal-Mart, though!

You know, if the non-comic-entertainment-industry/pop-culture stuff involved in this convention would spread out through a few conventions, it'd probably be a lot better for everyone.

That said, the recent Big Bang episode about this was hilarious.

Small update. About a week ago I got an email from Comic-Con about being a volunteer again this year. Last year I did 3 days, so I was already registered. Long story short, they opened up volunteer registration for those who successfully completed one assignment last year - today at 9am Pacific time. I hopped on, said I wanted to volunteer, and within seconds, I got an email saying I'm in. I can go any day, and don't have to pay.

To anyone wanting to go next year - volunteering is the way to go!

Explained in post #18.

I must of missed that post or forgotten it before asking the question. I have 1 more small question related to this. I am assuming they do not let you volunteer in costume and you keep it let's say in your or a friend's car/hotel room. once they release you, you then go change into it? Let me know if I am right on wrong on this assumption

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back