Sam from Trick R Treat....

Fantastic! I've been wanting something like this for a long time. Be sure to post some pics when you get it all weathered.

my tentative plan is to work on him tomorrow. I only have a hundred other projects this weekend.......LOL. I'll definitely post here when I get him finished.

here he is more or less finished:
photo-94.jpg

photo-27.jpg

photo-25.jpg

photo-24.jpg

photo-78.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent job on the weathering! If I saw that outside I'd toss all the candy I had out the door and then hide under the bed!

Someone asked earlier how I got the burlap to look smooth on the head.....it's a matter of fitting and sewing it on the sides. Pulls out all wrinkles except the collar portion at the neck.

basically I folded the fabric in half and sewed a stitch parallel and close to the fold. Then you open up the fabric, lay the folded/stitched part down onto one half and stitch that down using a zigzag stitch. This creates the ridge that goes down the center of his face. Hand stitch the twine sutures across this ridge as seen in the pic. Then you place this on his head and pin it in place all along the ridge front to back making sure to leave enough to create the collar area below his neck.

Then you cut the fabric from the sides of the neck (in line with his shoulders) up to that ridge. Now you just pull the wrinkles out of the fabric and pinch the fabric on both sides of his head top to bottom except once you get down to the widest portion of the side of the head....you just pin it from that point straight down and not go under the bottom curvature of the sides of the head. This is so the hood will pull over the pumpkin. If it were pinned below that it would never pull over the head/pumpkin.

Pin it in this position. Now remove the hood and sew it beside the pins. Cut the excess fabric about 1/4" beside the row of stitching It will now look like a typical hood.

Now you simply turn it inside out and pull it down onto the head.

Tie a rope around the neck and arrange the bottom like you see it in the film and trim any excess until it looks like the film.

Then attach the eyes and then stitch the mouth in place. It's really that simple. Then weather it up. dark browns and blacks and some red to look like mud and dried blood. :)

This is Sam 2.0. He's completely new. I wanted to remake it after seeing all the things that bugged me from the first go around. I'm pretty happy with the results.

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1233.JPG

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back