RPF First Annual Halloween Contest Winners!

Okay so here's my thoughts on this contest. I understand how most of you nice folks would want a members only voting process but also wouldn't you want anyone who visits this site to vote for you? I mean like passers by looking at all the work that everyone has put into thier costumes and vote for that person? I know I would. People who admire someone elses work should have that right. Just make it limited to how many times that they can vote. I for one would go along with that. It should be about having a good time, and not a snooty members only club. I thought,before I just registerd, that this site was fun to visit and see what everyone is doing. So let's have fun!

Last edited:
Perhaps we can have a two-part contest. One contest that's open to everyone (including guests, visitors, and so forth), and then a "RPF'ers Choice" contest, best pick of members only. Entrants could automatically be placed in both, but voting can be both open and restricted.

Cool contest and it was fun to see all the talent your people have here.

I'm a late joiner but would also agree that voting should be members only. Just my $0.02worth...

Perhaps we can have a two-part contest. One contest that's open to everyone (including guests, visitors, and so forth), and then a "RPF'ers Choice" contest, best pick of members only. Entrants could automatically be placed in both, but voting can be both open and restricted.

I agree actually. And the RPF contest wouldn't even really need a prize or anything. It could be more just about being recognized by each others peers etc.

Also I did want to say that this was still a great contest even with some of the issues it may have had and while there was a moment where I too felt like I wished I had never entered the costume in the end I'm still glad I did. It was a great learning experience and I can't wait for more contests in the future! Thanks so much to those who put this together and who are probably working right now on how to improve/put together next years!! And thanks to all those who voted and entered as well!

Also plllleaaaaasseeeeeee do a couples category!!!!! I think that'd be really cute.

And in response to not wanting outsiders to vote....I feel like that's a hard thing to decide on because there are pros and cons to both sides. In the end I don't think having or not having outsiders vote will really matter because the nature of contests. People (even those who know the intricacies of costume work) don't vote for what's the most difficult costume or who put the most work etc into it......they vote for what they like....for what was the funniest maybe or the most original. People out there are still going to get that feeling of the costume that won only did so because it was "popular" and not actually deserving even if the voting was limited to just RPFers. Granted the feeling would probably be less because at least it was within the community of this site as opposed to someones 100's of friends and coworker.....but I do think the "feeling" would still be there. And this is coming from someone who does not have that many friends to fall back on to boost votes.

I'm sure most have noted that I'm new to the RPF so if I'm completely off the board on my opinion please don't reply to this with comments of how I'm a noob or some form of attack as I have seen many times on other threads.....I'm not here to tear anyone elses opinion down....just thought I'd put mine in there as a newbie.

Congrats to all winners!! It was an honor competing with amazing costumes/costumers!!(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup

[...]
i echo EVERY ONE when they say this needs to be a voting kept WITHIN the community, the children? i can see THAT be a plausible reason to have votes outside of the community(as they're too young to be members and surf the web and it would be great for gramma and grampa to see their awesome costumes next to incredible artists), but the adult costumes? no way those votes need to stay within the confines of the community(as its assumed the women are either wives/girlfriends, family, or members). you can share with nonmembers how the voting is progressing, and not allow them to vote.

[...]
i also echo that comments should be turned off. so that way no one can say how much of a joke the winning costume of a certain contest was next to other contestants, or what went on in the female costume category, which unlike the male contest winning eyesore, the silk spectre was very well made costume and very deservedly won(it really was a fantastic silk spectre costume, i went NUTS trying to make my own movie comedian costume, and its still no where near that caliber).

i understand this was a first time here, but really, something is awfully shady that thing won fairly.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an appropriate way to voice concerns for next year, and it isn't by pissing on this years' winners. Congrats to all who won, and let's not make ourselves or the situation worse by turning it into a bunch of drama.

I agree. I'm new, but I think 3 things would make it a great contest next year:
1. Only registered members can vote
2. Turn off the comments section completely for each category
3. Include the background tip in the contest rules for clarity. (In regards to making your picture 'pop' with a reduced or simple background.)

Also, and I apologieze if I missed it in the contest rules, but do the costumes have to be home made?
Completely agree with all 3 rules, would make the contest more fair.

I like that idea. If public voting is something we have to have, it should be done this way.

I agree actually. And the RPF contest wouldn't even really need a prize or anything. It could be more just about being recognized by each others peers etc.

I disagree on one point, the prizes should be only available for the members only contest. Since they will be donated by members and/or sponsors and in some cases will be high end pieces, they would be a high motivator for someone to use questionable means to win. The public open voting would have no prizes but still allow people to be praised for their work by as many as they want.

There's an appropriate way to voice concerns for next year, and it isn't by pissing on this years' winners. Congrats to all who won, and let's not make ourselves or the situation worse by turning it into a bunch of drama.

Beautifully worded.
"themanwoaname", bad form, bro.

In regards to the voting being open to anyone and everyone...

I know that everyone that enters a contest wants to win it, but entrants can show their maturity level by sharing the contest with non-members including a message like:
"Please follow the link and vote for the best costume!"
...instead of
"Hey! Follow this link and vote for ME! I'm in the "such and such" costume."

Even if the contest voting was for "members only" there will be votes just for/from friends (IE: favoritism).

Not everyone can do this I know, but it's my two cents.

Congrats to the winners, commiserations to the runners up. Costuming isn't my thing, but to each there own. It must be very hard to make stuff like that.

WHY?
I just don't understand this...
It makes no sense to me or I'll bet any of the other members.

Why must these contests be rigged?

They are RPF contests...the RPF membership should be the ONLY people allowed to vote.

Thanks for your comments and critiques of how the contest was run. I can tell you up front that we will likely NOT limit the voting to just members .

That's another thing...
As far as I've ever understood we don't really WANT the RPF getting all that attention...

That's my main concern and suggestion. But maybe there was a reason for it, like getting more attraction to the site; I don't know.

so busy this Halloween that I am just now seeing this thread. I am left scratching my head. But to be respectful, congrats everyone. I am sure we'll get it right next year. That is how lots of costume contests go. For instance, I won one contest this year, then was kicked off the stage at another because the drunk announcer didn't like beetlejuice. Something done once a year is always unpredictable because no one has a lot of experience.

Firstly Congrats to all who placed, great stuff.

I think clarity to contestants and voters on what criteria there are or are not is going to be key. And to let the contestants be able to write about what they did. This is supposed to be a forum for making things so we should be interested in the process as well.

People (even those who know the intricacies of costume work) don't vote for what's the most difficult costume or who put the most work etc into it......they vote for what they like....for what was the funniest maybe or the most original. People out there are still going to get that feeling of the costume that won only did so because it was "popular" and not actually deserving even if the voting was limited to just RPFers.
This is why I think it is important at the start to let everyone know what the contest is for. Popularity or fun or technical skills.
Again, as I posted in the other thread...I am just the new guy, but here would be my suggestions for next year. First put in a CAPTCHA box for the voting, this will discourage the multi-vote issue. Also break it down to multiple criteria....for instance, Originality, Execution, Difficulty (whatever you like) and let the voter give a 1-5 vote for each, giving each contestant a possible grand total of 15.

I know this would be more complicated (the CAPTCHA box is easy)...but you do have a whole year. YMHO YMMV.

These are good ideas. It might even be a way for categories to be entered into, so someone gets an award for originality or for technical difficulty.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back