Rockford Files

ID10T

Sr Member
Hey guys!

I've been really enjoying Rockford Files on Freevee for the post several weeks. I watched it occasionally when it was on, because my Dad was a fan. I now understand why.

I feel it holds up today for one thing. The story lines are intricate without being mind bottling. You can often see the story has plenty of mileage left on it, but it has to end where it does to fit the time slot. Really great story writing in my opinion.

Jim Rockford is a rather "real" character- he doesn't always swoop in, get the girl and catch the bad guy. He gets hit in the head... a lot. Shot at, jailed and generally harassed and scammed. I appreciate that. Owes and is owed a lot of money. Checkbook balancing on par with my own.

Despite the time frame when it aired, every problem is not solved with firearms. Although that really took off in the 80's. He had a gun, and did use it on occasion, but he wasn't trying to be James Bond or Rambo. He generally plays down his military career as well. And he smokes, as everyone did, but it wasn't a constant thing. I think the use/disuse of smoking was handled well too.

And he doesn't pull a "Rockford" (J-turn) in every episode. I see it maybe twice a season. Maybe in later episodes he does more of this (I'm not all the way through every episode yet- into season three now).

Regarding props- he always had a nice dress shirt- sometimes even while fishing... rather fashionable for a "low-buck P.I.", but that's fine. It's clear where he spends his money. ($200/day in '74 equates to $1238/day today to give that some perspective). I like his watch but can't see it well enough yet to try and identify it.

Let's talk about it! I'm really enjoying the show and would even go so far s to say a proper remake of it would be great.

(Still trying to get a handle on the drainage for his kitchen, bathroom and shower with his trailer in the middle of a paved parking lot...)

I grew up watching this with my Dad.
I remember more him going and doing the driving and action stuff more than really the story lines.
I liked how they used the answering machine, as that was such an advanced thing back then.
Wasn't sure if this was late 60s or early 70s. Google says first episode aired on September 13th, 1974. Actually a little later than I was thinking, but not by much.
Good main theme song.

One of my favorite shows! I still really enjoy watching it when I can.

Not interested in a remake. I think James Garner owns the character the way Darren Mc Gavin owns Kolchak and Peter Falk owns Columbo. I'd be happy to see an original great detective character driven show.

One of my favorite shows! I still really enjoy watching it when I can.

Not interested in a remake. I think James Garner owns the character the way Darren Mc Gavin owns Kolchak and Peter Falk owns Columbo. I'd be happy to see an original great detective character driven show.
Absolutely none of those work without those specific actors. It's like trying to re-do Murder She Wrote without Jessica Lansbury. It would just suck.

Personally I think an actor could be found. The real trick is finding a writer I think. The old stories just worked without being rehash of the same stories all the detective shows use. They are thought provoking and you get drawn into it. Good stuff.

I always thought that the younger James garner would make a great Superman OR Batman...

WAYNEORKENT.jpg

Absolutely love The Rockford Files. Grew up watching it with my older brother. I watch the entire series about twice a year. I would hate to see a remake! Just like Magnum P.I. (another favorite show) it just wouldn't work with a new cast.

It's a classic for a reason. I've always loved the show. I should go back and rewatch it too.

I just learned of the TV movies (made years after the show ended) about a month ago. I had no idea they even existed. Apparently they aired on a different network than the series did.

Vince Vaughn was supposed to be the lead in a feature film "sequel" as Jim Rockford's son, with Garner in the movie. After he passed though they decided not to make it. I like that casting but I have to agree, I don't see the need.

I was unaware of the movies… do you have any more info on them?
Not really. I hit Wikipedia and IMDb to look up the names of the films, but I could not find them streaming anywhere, but you can buy the movie collection on DVD from amazon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back