Rocketeers

Jeezo whiz...

I am very laid back guy when it comes to the politics of Hollywood. It is, after all, only the cost of popcorn we're talking about here; however, this "re-imagining and gender-switching for the sake of gender-switching", trend has officially worn thin with me.

In the spirit of "recasting gender merely for the sake of recasting gender" I hereby request....nay...I DEMAND that "Wonder Woman" be recast as Karl Urban and be renamed as "Wonder Dude". Instead of an invisible jet, he shall have an invisible amphibious assault vehicle. The Lasso of Truth? How about the Lasso of One-Liners which emits wince inducing one-liners to accomany when "Wonder Dude" lays waste to his enemies....crowd favorited like "that will leave a mark!" "Stick Around!" and "Surf's up!"

I am willing to consider whether Mr. Urban must wear the "Linda Carter One Piece of Justice"' Amazon outfit since that appears to be central to the character and we MUST respect all things that are central to the character, right?

Last edited:
Meh, I'll have to see more of the plot

From the article:

"The new take keeps the story in a period setting and offers a fresh view on the characters. Set six years after the original Rocketeer and after Secord has vanished while fighting the Nazis, an unlikely new hero emerges: a young African–American female pilot, who takes up the mantle of Rocketeer in an attempt to stop an ambitious and corrupt rocket scientist from stealing jet-pack technology in what could prove to be a turning point in the Cold War..."

So stopping someone from stealing the jetpack technology....where have I heard of that story before....

What I find hilarious most is the other part of the article:

"When Disney hosted a 20th anniversary screening of the movie at Hollywood's El Capitan Theatre in 2011, fans — many in Rocketeer costumes — lined up for blocks. It was around that time that the studio began mulling a reboot of the movie,.."

I'm happy to see they gauge their new movie ideas based on how many people line up for the anniversaries of the originals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have zero problems with this and I'm a big fan of both The Rocketeer movie and origin comic. Which I'm sure fans of both know that they are different. They weren't going to make Cliff's New York Adventure. It's not like this new character will be a female Cliff Secord and they are doing a flip flop. This just happens in the Rocketeer Universe. What should be more of a problem to people is Disney's insistence on using the trope of disappeared hero from the original movie. We've seen this now in both Tron Legacy with Flynn missing and Star Wars The Force Awakens with Luke missing.

The argument of people who are against this sort of thing whether you call it inclusion, diversity, change, is the same every time it happens. Which is either the provoking, we'll take one of their popular or even historical characters. Or the seemingly innocent, why don't they make a new character? With the implied without taking one of ours. I remember a recent or perhaps the last interview with George Lucas when he talked about the reasoning for why Hollywood suits didn't want to support what I think was an all Black cast of his war pilot movie. That was from George Lucas, one of the most successful directors ever. So knowing that, new properties are going to be very slim. This is going to happen more and more until Hollywood and people in general are ok with supporting a movie with a minority lead.

As an aviationy history-ey kind of guy, I know there were some exceptional people back then...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessie_Coleman

That sounds like a good person to inspire the character if the movie goes forward.

If its made well and sells tickets Disney has another hit on their hands. If it bombs, they know not to mess with a proven franchise.

Proven franchise? As much as I love Rocketeer and still believe it is one of the best comic book movies ever. Rocketeer only has just that. One movie. At best it is a sleeper hit. Meaning with fans only. According to wiki the movie was a flop financially. Disney never released the Special Edition DVD which Dave Stevens worked on. They couldn't even make a fully featured Blu-ray edition. The franchise only recently continued in comics, with art that isn't close to Dave Stevens work from what I've seen. And all the interest in Rocketeer restarted I believe after Dave Stevens' passing and the release of the recolored Rocketeer and his large format artbooks like Brush with Passion and the other two compilations of his work (Covers & Stories and another one that I have that I can't remember the name of). Anyway, all this is, is pick a known franchise to reboot. Which I hope everyone now realizes is cheaper to Hollywood than creating and selling something totally new. Unless it's an already successful book.

I went to that 2011 screening and loved it. The Rocketeer is one of my favorite movies and in a recent thread I said I'd like to see a sequel but ONLY if they used the original cast. I HATE this idea with a passion!!!!

No original cast. I don't want to see anymore old heroes that are / were missing, lost, defeated, written in simply to pass on the story to the next generation. It's really too late to make a true Rocketeer sequel with Cliff Secord. Unless they find new actors who look exactly like the old ones. But honestly I'm not looking forward to a new Indiana Jones. And many times during The Force Awakens, I was thinking did I really need to see an old Luke, Han, and Leia? Especially after Return of the Jedi ended on such a positive note. I don't think so. And if you removed them, I think The Force Awakens might even be a better movie.

Sometimes i think disney wants to erase the past and replace it with dancing animals and the lies that the past was a happy place.
Something like "Song of the South"?

So, are they going to have her in a tight leather jacket and no pants like most of the female Rocketeer cosplays I see?

I wonder why this is set 6 years after the first? Doing that it is no way they can have Cliff (close to 30 years has past) how would you explain him aging that much in 6 years? Unless they De-age him like some movies do or recast him.

Why can't they just come up with a more original idea? Producers love to attach these race/gender twist to something that *was* popular, claiming they have some higher level of consciousness. Really, they are just being lazy, riding a cheap wave of hype.

We have a black, female iron man, black boy spiderman...srsly! Just make a strong black character. I am stoked about Black Panther, for instance!I know it is safe to recast a pre-existing character because you avoid the whole stereotype aspect of it, but just get a dart board of race/gender/powers/plot and chuck darts then run with it.

Mind you, I did love the new Ghostbusters

Also how are they going to explain that the main character is 30 years older than he was then unless they recast everyone in the film?

Also how are they going to explain that the main character is 30 years older than he was then unless they recast everyone in the film?
That is why is he is missing. The question is: Do they find him? If they do, then we have to see if they recast him or if he turns out to have been the victim of some Nazi experiments. Assuming Disney will allow them to say Nazi.

I think that Hollywood should start creating or finding some great, original black characters instead of swapping everything. If they made Blade a white guy I'd be seriously PO'd. I really like a few of the actresses up for the part, but it doesn't make sense IF it's the real world 1940's. On another site someone said if they were going to change the race they should have made the main character a Tuskegee airman. That idea would work.

What the hell is wrong with Disney lately? This as bad as turning the Tower of Terror in what's supposed to be a 1920's themed park into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride.

We have a black, female iron man, black boy spiderman...srsly! Just make a strong black character. I am stoked about Black Panther, for instance!I know it is safe to recast a pre-existing character because you avoid the whole stereotype aspect of it, but just get a dart board of race/gender/powers/plot and chuck darts then run with it.

Mind y

just make a strong black character. it was called "BLADE". bad mofo A.frican A.merican that kicked ass, oops damn he didn't have boobs..... my bad...

Just read that the new Rocketeer will be a 16 yo black lesbian with a white mother and black father who is a super rich aviation engineer. . .

So sick of this ****. Instead of creating an original strong "ethnic" character they once again rape beloved characters...

This will be a pass like Crapbusters.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

I've been called sexist in the GB thread, and will probably be called racist here. (Even though my best friend since I was 3 is black)

This is horrible. It's gotten ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind it soo much if it weren't set in the 40's.

Just dumb.

More agenda first, figure it out later garbage.

:facepalm
"sequel-reboot"??? What? Now that is a real nice oxymoron.

"One of Disney’s most underrated films, The Rocketeer, is finally getting the respect it deserves." really? That sounds great! :D
"The Hollywood Reporter says the company is prepping a brand new sequel/reboot" WTF? How is that "getting respect"????
:facepalm

The article says this takes place 6 years after the original, which would make it 1942.

Now, I've got no problem with the idea of a female African American stunt pilot with a rocket pack.
Sounds badass - I could totally get behind that. IF it took place in the '60s or later ('60s would be cool, though. Think of the possibilities...)
But in the '40s? Just not possible. AA women didn't have options like those available to them.
If they want to diversify (and who doesn't? I'm all for it.) make her a Latina.
That would actually make sense in the context. Los Angeles has always had a huge Latino population.
And there's possibilities for social commentaries there, too. Ever hear of the "zoot suit riots"?
And who in the world wouldn't want to see Michelle Rodriguez with a rocket pack and tommy-gun kicking nazi tail? :)
Heck, make her Chinese. Even that could work in the context.

This choice is just puzzling, given the care taken in presenting a historically accurate aesthetic in the first film.

Not even in the 60's. NASA picked out a lot of women for Astronaut training, only a single women did all the same tests and such as her male counterparts did, she was better than a lot of them. Still didn't make it though.

Which was a real shame in my opinion. But a film can't change the past, so why try and erase history? History is there so we can learn from it, and do better!

Here's a twist, the new Rocketeer could be Amelia Earhart: She didn't die, they faked her death, in order to fight, zombie-nazis maybe? :lol

I'm just glad its a sequel that doesnt wipe out the events of the first movie, the way a straight up reboot would. After that, everything else is gravy.

..and there were so many unanswered question from the first movie!

Okay, I stole that line from Bob Goldthwaith when they asked him about the Police Academy sequels

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back