Rocket Raccoon's Laser Cannon from the GOTG Film - WIP

ThrowingChicken

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all, if you follow me on Facebook you might have seen me posting my progress on a set of Rocket Racoon Laser Cannon blueprints. Now that I've started getting into fabricating I thought it was about time to start posting the progress here.

Per usual I started by gathering as much reference material as I could. Surprisingly there were quite a lot of high res renderings of Rocket and his laser cannon. Not sure why these high res images were released, but they appear to be the renderings used for the character posters. I also combed through as many trailers and TV spots I could find, ripping frames showing the cannon.

V3MAk91.jpg

To get my scale I started by taking the height of Chris Pratt (Star-Lord) and scaled this image to his correct height, from which I snagged the height of Rocket. I also heard Pratt mention Rocket's height in an interview, though I would caution using the height he used in an offhanded remark, it was fairly close to what I got. From here I was able to scale the high res poster image to get a length of the length of the rifle, then scaled my other reference images accordingly.

ClvI1cR.jpg

When I get into the blueprint stage, one thing I like to look for are stock sizes. What I mean by this is most stock cylindrical or square tubes come in increments of 1/8", or 1/16" if you are lucky. Since Rocket's cannon was 3D modeled then printed for the on-set prop, this makes matching stock sizes a tricky chore since the modelers are likely not referencing stock materials. Fortunately I found my scale was very very close to stock sizes, and once I matched those up just right I found all my other numbers started falling into place.

QBT6VxG.jpg

Once the blueprints were settled and materials came in I began construction. Much like my Portal Gun build, a lot of the parts will be laser cut. Here you can see the rounded square tube and two laser cut brackets go together to begin the barrel.

uQowpSZ.jpg

(might want to right-click to view this image)
Recently I discovered a process called "Laser Origami". What they do is divide a flat part up into 3 or so stages, and use an out of focus laser to heat a precise line on the material that will then allow it to be bent. The screen shots above show the layout used to get the laser to cut how we wanted. Top left shows the full pattern unedited, top right shows the first pass, which cut out the "side arms" of the large bracket, bottom left shows the out of focus heating path (which is duplicated a couple dozen times), and the bottom right image shows the final path to cut the rest of the bracket from the material.

NPxIEjt.jpg

A number of the pieces after getting the laser origami treatment.

7AsoYQd.jpg

A quick look at how they all fit together.

That's it for this weekend. Hopefully I can plow through a bit more fabrication next weekend. Thanks for looking!

LOVE the laser origami. It's a process I haven't gotten around to trying yet in my own pew-pewing. You've used it to wonderful effect!

LOVE the laser origami. It's a process I haven't gotten around to trying yet in my own pew-pewing. You've used it to wonderful effect!

It's quite interesting and fun. I find we have to bend it by hand, though, as when it gets hot enough to bend with gravity it starts to sag a bit. I suppose that could be remedied by tweaking the settings to get them just right.

Lots of AR-15/M-16 in that cannon! Great work on the build so far.

Yeah someone pointed that out to me on FB. Unfortunately because of the scale the store bought ones are too big (unless my scale is way off).

This is going to be fun to watch! :popcorn

Thank you sir, and thanks for that art book scan!

Subscribed! Great work! Is there a run anticipated?

It's not currently planned as one, but if there were enough interest I could see doing it.

It's a pretty good size considering the standard M4/M16 parts it has (lower receiver, carry handle)

Is it known if they used real parts or if they just 3d printed it all? Based on my scale I would be inclined to believe they 3D printed everything from a model, but I could be off.

I couldn't help myself, I had to work on it some more.

VNhhHLA.jpg

I needed to make a box for the middle section that would hold everything together. Looking very closely at my reference images I found hints that there was a basic elongated box under everything, so I started there. At the rear of the box are slots for the tubes we see connecting the back end to the middle section, which are repeated two more times inside of the box. This should hopefully give a nice stable connection. Towards the front there are similar slots for the 4 barrels.

kSfgbfy.jpg

Next I began adding the side details. Most of the middle section box will be obscured by the brackets and these cosmetic details.

HTpXo1e.jpg

Test fitting the barrels.

Looking back at the art book, it does say it was modeled and 3D printed for the physical prop. So they very easily could have scaled down those "real" parts to fit in with the scale of the cannon

I am totally blown away with your tenacity on this. WOW, I LOVE it! Do you have this image yet? I removed Rocket, himself, rotated it an made sure the image was big enough to print on an 8.5x11 page in landscape so you can see all the detail. (note, his fingers are actually *on* toe forward part of the weapon, :lol )
Rocket_Raccoon_Weapon.png

One question, though, will this do that extension-action just before he fires it like it does in the movie? If so, perhaps electrical contacts can be achieved on strategic locations of the parts that move which would trigger an electrical connection that would sound off the charging of the weapon? (kind of like how a photographers flash charges? (Gah....listen to me rattle-on complicating things..sorry...:facepalm)

Last edited:
I am totally blown away with your tenacity on this. WOW, I LOVE it! Do you have this image yet? I removed Rocket, himself, rotated it an made sure the image was big enough to print on an 8.5x11 page in landscape so you can see all the detail. (note, his fingers are actually *on* toe forward part of the weapon, :lol )
View attachment 375718
Oh yeah, that is the one I used for most of the side build. It's great that such a high-res image is available. Kevin Gossett also provided me with a scan from the art book, it has a pretty nice side shot as well.

One question, though, will this do that extension-action just before he fires it like it does in the movie? If so, perhaps electrical contacts can be achieved on strategic locations of the parts that move which would trigger an electrical connection that would sound off the charging of the weapon? (kind of like how a photographers flash charges? (Gah....listen to me rattle-on complicating things..sorry...:facepalm)

Nah, after going over scenes from the movies I think they probably went too far with their action. The stock folds up into itself, parts moving all over; It would probably be impossible to do in the real world. I suppose a watered down version could be achieved, though.

This is very cool.
I love the laser origami process, such a simple idea and so precise, I may have to use that manufacturing method in some of my future props, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I can't wait to see this gun finished.

Best of luck.

xUkJdNw.jpg

Rather than making a 1/2" thick box for this top block, I wanted to just have it cut from 1/2" thick acrylic. Only problem with that was the tubes running out the rear of the main body would get in the way, so I had to use some creative engraving techniques to make a trench to give clearance for the tubes.

ItImmcH.jpg

I guess I got too into it and forgot to take more photos, but I've added the box from above, the box above that, the "neck" that attaches the boxes to the area where the barrels are, and the shield that covers where they meet.

1bfcGpt.jpg

And the above with a coat of primer.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back