Riptide- Percy Jackson and the Olympians (D+)

PhantomForge

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all,

Trying to make the sword from the Percy Jackson TV show:

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 1.22.30 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 1.23.00 AM.png

I've got a folder with tons of reference shots from the show, but it looks like they have a display of the props at Hollywood Studios in Disney World.
GD1fQTBXQAAZT2E.jpeg

I unfortunately live closer to the wrong park, and wanted to put out the request that if anyone happens to go to the park while the displays are still there, if you could try to take some close and detailed photos of the sword and maybe the master bolt while you're there) it would be appreciated greatly :)

It looks like a bronze age sword. heres one that looks close to the one from the showView attachment 1781066
Yeah, I love some of the show's attention to detail when it comes to the "ancient" props— like I love that I could clearly see Riptide was inspired by a bronze age sword— I just wish whoever designed the prop took the extra step to look up GREEK Bronze age swords rather than Swedish ones!
Or rather, that specific sword is Swedish, and I've seen similar ones from other parts of Europe, but the design seems mainly ancient Germanic. At least it might just be Mediterranean-based? Lot of trade back then so who knows.

Anyways, I just hope with the show's popularity, the one they have on display will eventually migrate to the Western parks. I just need a good picture of the top of the hilt.

Does this help?

Attachments

• percy-jackson-olympians-walt-disney-presents-01142024-29-scaled.jpg
    percy-jackson-olympians-walt-disney-presents-01142024-29-scaled.jpg
    813.4 KB · Views: 303
  • percy-jackson-olympians-walt-disney-presents-01142024-49.jpg
    percy-jackson-olympians-walt-disney-presents-01142024-49.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 202
  • percy-jackson-olympians-walt-disney-presents-01142024-50.jpg
    percy-jackson-olympians-walt-disney-presents-01142024-50.jpg
    889.2 KB · Views: 123
  • percy-jackson-olympians-walt-disney-presents-01142024-28.jpg
    percy-jackson-olympians-walt-disney-presents-01142024-28.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
Thank you! I did already find these photos, I'm just hoping someone at some point will take some closer photos of that hilt.

Not quite end-on, but the making-of has a couple of shots of Riptide that might help with shape at least.

1707777335595.png

(I'm looking through for good shots of the Master Bolt, lol)

My version so far:
View attachment 1789178

BlogMickey dot com has a great image of the handle detail:
View attachment 1789179

And lots of other stuff from the displays, just search Percy Jackson on the site.
That looks great! The handle detail is very cool. Detailed enough that capturing it in an FDM 3d print will be tough. It might be worth splitting the detailed part of the handle out into its own separate piece for printing with a smaller nozzle/layer height to better capture that pattern/detail.

The blogmickey pics are good, thanks! I also found a 4k video walkthrough of the exhibit on youtube ("Percy Jackson and the Olympians | PROPS | Hollywood Studios 2024" by Prisilla L.B.) that had some great shots of the Master Bolt. I tried reconstructing a 3D model of it via photogrammetry (RealityCapture), but the lighting/metallic surface threw the reconstruction off. It was a long shot anyway, but figured it was worth a try.

Still, there's plenty of good shots in there of the bolt's bas-relief detail. Enough I should be able to re-sculpt something close:

1707852480781.png

The detail that's giving me some trouble is how many copies of the grip pattern there are around the circumference. Not sure how to figure that out from stills.

Last edited:
I need to add some curvature to the features in the center sections but was able to use circular and linear pattern to get it to work. The details in the curved sections are the last freeform details that I need to add to my version of the bolt:
1707858626445.png

Yeah, the curvature on the circumference design was hard to see in some of the early stills. That looks really great, though!

My work has been stalled after getting frustrated with trying to wrap a sketch around a cylinder in Shapr3D, which is kind of a pain.

Oh, can I ask what you went with for pattern counts around the parts? I started with 3 on the main grip, but am changing it to 4 around, and I'm thinking 10 for the inner guards and 14-16 for the outer.

Oh, can I ask what you went with for pattern counts around the parts? I started with 3 on the main grip, but am changing it to 4 around, and I'm thinking 10 for the inner guards and 14-16 for the outer.
I have 3 around the center, 11 around the big ring, and 14 around the smaller. It's just what worked for the patterning and is not completely accurate.

I have 3 around the center, 11 around the big ring, and 14 around the smaller. It's just what worked for the patterning and is not completely accurate.
Yeah I think I ended up with 4 center, 12, and 16. Pretty happy with it.

Working on the freeform sculpt now. It’s kind of a pain, so I was looking for a good clean image of just that part to try running through ZoeDepth for a depth map. Haven’t found a good one yet though. Guess I’ll just have to do it the old fashioned way.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back