Rick Grimes Season 2-ish

Nice job! How did you paint the gun? after seeing what you did i really want to do the same myself. Also what belt and holster did you use:) Love it all, Keep it up! <3

Nice job! How did you paint the gun? after seeing what you did i really want to do the same myself. Also what belt and holster did you use:) Love it all, Keep it up! <3

The belt was from a few different sources, all on Ebay. I got the belt and belt stays from one seller, the handcuff case & handcuffs from another, and so on. The only new "out of the box" item was the speed loader pouches, the rest were all used. The holsters only identifying marks are:
"Safety Speed Holster, Montebello California", and the number "5906"

As for the grips, I found a technique that basically involves painting the item a matte black, then alternating painting on strips of white with a brush, and spray painting with Mohawk wood tone paint.

20160403_163626.jpg

It all came out a bit darker than I expected, I think that the knurling in the center of the grips kind of threw off the technique a bit, but still, I think the effect came out well.

20160409_092824 - Copy.jpg 20160409_092751 - Copy.jpg 20160409_092901 - Copy.jpg

Here's the original web page for the technique. The person also did a video series of them doing it, which was helpful.

http://hypercats.net/beautiful-weat...e-learnng-the-learning-doesnt-take-that-long/

I had a bit of space left on a roll of black and white film in my SLR after a vacation I took a few weeks back, so I decided to try a take a few shots with the Rick Grimes outfit. They just got back today:

Last edited:
'
Wow that is spot on perfect! Is there any way you could post a dye tutorial for those of us who haven't used it before? Maybe even a link to where we can buy the original shirt?

thanks for your kind words.

If you'd like Nikkysic Ill send you a pm with the details instead of starting a new post; unless there's chime in. As for the shirt itself, it was a find off eBay. The shirt is made by Salt Valley but I'm sure it's from many years back. I'm still surprised I found it in my size which fits between an XS/S US.

I dyed the shirt finally, and it came out...purple?

20160410_102240.jpg

My guess is whatever the manufacturing process was to dye it black reacted with the brown dye, and caused it to bleed, making the dye a dark purple color.

I'd say I've it another go with black or brown dye. The thing with Rit black is it never is actually black. I've don't countless dyes with black and get the same outcome as you, a faded purple color. Especially if there's any sort of white involved in the garment.

Another option if you have one, hit it with the airbrush gun with color you want.

I wasn't able to procure an additional bottle of Rit dye before leaving, so the outfit will have to be the more recent Rick Grimes, with the jacket and a dirty/bloody t-shirt.

Rickgrimes.jpg rick-white-shirt-2.jpg

View attachment 617013 View attachment 617014

I have the dirty gauze wrap to add to my hand like in the second picture. It's too bad I can grow a truly epic beard like Lincoln in the time I had.

Last edited:
I know the jeans are levis 514 slim straight in black but there are like 5 different variants of the 514 slim straight pants anyone able to help me id the correct ones? I know it doesn't really matter but wanna be as accurate as possible. Also I wear size 32x30 if anyone has some for sale

I believe the correct ones are ones that have a tag in the waistband like this:
m_5eb1953e7ec30cf2912c2eae.jpg

These are the ones that were sold when the show first aired, so I'm inclined to believe these are the ones they used originally. Later models (though not current ones) also have the distinct striping from the elastane, so those would be good ones too. Since the "stripey elastane" ones are no longer manufactured you'll have to check places like ebay or poshmark.

I believe the correct ones are ones that have a tag in the waistband like this:
View attachment 1331568
These are the ones that were sold when the show first aired, so I'm inclined to believe these are the ones they used originally. Later models (though not current ones) also have the distinct striping from the elastane, so those would be good ones too. Since the "stripey elastane" ones are no longer manufactured you'll have to check places like ebay or poshmark.
I found the correct ones and they've been ordered. Still looking for a watch if anybody has one for sale

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back