Rey's Gun TFA

Without taking anything way from (the amazing) Bill and his generosity in providing the plans, I'm discovering that there are a few issues with Bill's plans.

Some notes for those using the plans to build their non-print version:

- the upper notch in the receiver-thingy isn't deep enough
- the screw alignment in the grip is a misplaced and off the centre-line,
- the trigger area is slightly too tall
- the trigger area is too wide; it's missing a trigger guard section against the main body
- the safety mechanism is positioned too low
- the angle of the grip doesn't match the official pic
- the relative dimensions of the receiver area don't match up with the offical pic; screws etc. are thus out of place, can't be fixed.

(BTW, there is a plan being sold on Etsy. From what I can see of the preview, it appears that the trigger area has similar problems.)

At some point I'd like to make the changes to the plans and submit them back to Bill for his consideration. But right now I'm just working through the plans on paper.

BTW, JediCharles has produced an excellent (and free!) 3D file on Sketchup's 3D Warehouse. It has amazing presentation and great detail, ready to pop in to Layout and 2D print. The only downside is that the author has made the muzzle/barrel out of position, at least relative to the official encyclopaedia picture. (The image probably wasn't available when he made the model.)

Blog, build discussion:

http://jedicharles.com/category/star-wars/

3D model:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=b661e5b7-7e36-4073-b542-0c2a9b262588

large_thumbnail.jpg

[Edit]

After much doodling around, I've abandoned plans to use Bill's plans for now. (Sorry Bill, hugs long time though!)

Here's a pic of JediCharles' model, done in 2D, using Sketchup Layout. Print size is about 285mm, from memory. That's about 11.25 inches for you non-metrique home gamers.

FWIW, this is quite small. I can just barely squeeze a finger between the trigger and the trigger guard. (And despite what all the ladies say, my hands aren't very large.)

[yet another edit]

Ignore the red text about the muzzle needing repositioning. After more study, I think JediCharles has it right.

JediCharles_ReyBlaster2D_Rework.png

Last edited:
I just read through the whole thread really quickly, but didn't see an answer. Does anybody know where in the US I could get the torx screws? I found a seller on ebay that has the M3 and M4 size at good prices, but they don't have the smaller M2.5 ones and the shipping time is really long. I was hoping McMaster would carry them, but they don't have those ones in metric for some reason.

I just read through the whole thread really quickly, but didn't see an answer. Does anybody know where in the US I could get the torx screws? I found a seller on ebay that has the M3 and M4 size at good prices, but they don't have the smaller M2.5 ones and the shipping time is really long. I was hoping McMaster would carry them, but they don't have those ones in metric for some reason.

I think you have to go to ebay, though if you're lucky you can find a US seller with the imperial equivalents. Also try looking for sheet metal screws rather than just machine screws, since they work just as well in 3D prints and resin.

I got my M3 machine screws from this seller in China, and they arrived pretty quickly even with the cheap shipping (under a month). My grip screws were 8-32 sheet metal security torx (M4 equivalent) and from this US seller.

You can get them on Amazon, or eBay. I recommend buying non metric. The conversion is (M3 = 4-40) (M3.5 = 6-32) (M4 = 8-32).
For the kits I've built the 4-40 is good for the smaller kits and the larger kits the 6-32. For the 6 socket heads I used these for all my builds.
http://www.amazon.com/Socket-Head-S...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I'm making my gun from metal, so I have to stick to the machine screws. Also, I want to stick to the metric sizes because there is a difference in head size of about .03". That ebay seller seems about the same as the one I was looking at. It's a shame they don't have the 2.5's.
Unfated are you saying that the pairs of small screws above the trigger are socket head screws, not security torx or regular torx? If that's the case, I already have stock of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert, but everything I've read and seen says socket. All four of the builds I've done I've used socket.

Anyone have any tips on modelling the grips? I've taught myself fusion 360 but no idea what to do for the grips now I've finished everything else haha.

I molded and cast my grips from an airsoft Mauser. The modeled ones are impressive, but they've all slightly missed the shape of the originals in one way or another.

Anyone have any tips on modelling the grips? I've taught myself fusion 360 but no idea what to do for the grips now I've finished everything else haha.

The grips are indeed tricky. I have made one from sheet pvc and cardboard, but it's a LOT of work to get right. (It doesn't help that they're not symmetrical.)

So I decided to print them up instead. I'm using an excellent model made by JediCharles. It's freely available on Sketchup's 3D Warehouse.

http://jedicharles.com/2016/04/reys-lpa-nn-14-blaster-pistol/

To print them, you just install the free STL Export plugin in Sketchup 3D. This takes a few seconds.

Then select each grip (they are separate objects, beautifully designed), and export them as STL. Voila, no modifications or cleanup required. They print very well, as is.

Hey all!

I decided to teach myself Fusion 360/CAD because what good is having a printer if you can't create files!?

I haven't yet been able to model my own grips and wasn't looking to use someone else's as I'd lie to have my own set of files created by me and also would love the knowledge that comes with the process. So any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Another issue i was having was whenever I clear coat over the silver spray paint it turns grey and almost loses it's metallic qualities. Any tips?

Below is my Rey blaster compared to the lillykill files. (Which were fantastic but a bit on the smaller side for me.)
My blaster measures out to 11 inches.
(Lillykill version has the grips)

Please note that my blaster is not finished as it was a test print/paint so there are noticeable marks etc.

Let me know what you think! Any tips would be appreciated!
Cheers!
image1.JPGimage2.JPG

Another issue i was having was whenever I clear coat over the silver spray paint it turns grey and almost loses it's metallic qualities. Any tips?

Nice work on your blaster design! Most silver/metallic paint does not take well to having a clear coat as it throws the fine layer of metal flake in the original paint out of place. One notable exception is auto paint (acrylic lacquer) - you might look for a silver that is reasonably close to a dull aluminum color. With some weathering grime it can look pretty realistic.

My kingdom for a nice blaster stand for these. I know there are several versions of the blaster floating around
and the sizing is different on all of them, but please someone make a stand! JOATRASH FX did a run of blasters
and sold quite a few. How about starting with the blaster dimensions from his run? Maybe an acrylic stand with
a few interchangeable lengths of posts?

The grips are indeed tricky. I have made one from sheet pvc and cardboard, but it's a LOT of work to get right. (It doesn't help that they're not symmetrical.)

So I decided to print them up instead. I'm using an excellent model made by JediCharles. It's freely available on Sketchup's 3D Warehouse.

http://jedicharles.com/2016/04/reys-lpa-nn-14-blaster-pistol/

To print them, you just install the free STL Export plugin in Sketchup 3D. This takes a few seconds.

Then select each grip (they are separate objects, beautifully designed), and export them as STL. Voila, no modifications or cleanup required. They print very well, as is.

Have you gotten a chance to print this model? If so, did you resize anything? I finished separating and sorting out all the pieces, but the internal pins may be too small for my printer.

Have you gotten a chance to print this model? If so, did you resize anything? I finished separating and sorting out all the pieces, but the internal pins may be too small for my printer.

I've only printed the grips. I'm in the process of making the rest of the model with foamed PVC. I made one of the grips by hand, but it was to much work.

But the grips printed out exactly right.

I've only printed the grips. I'm in the process of making the rest of the model with foamed PVC. I made one of the grips by hand, but it was to much work.

But the grips printed out exactly right.

Thanks! What size was the gun scaled at? When I transfered it, it was out of scale so I scaled the entire size of the gun at 300 mm, but it may be too big. Then I separated the files for individual printing.

Thanks! What size was the gun scaled at? When I transfered it, it was out of scale so I scaled the entire size of the gun at 300 mm, but it may be too big. Then I separated the files for individual printing.

I didn't do any scaling. For the grips, I just selected the two objects, exported them as STL, printed at 100%.

For the rest, I just created orthographic views, exported to PDF. Then used Adobe Reader's Poster mode to print at 100% over several sheets of paper. The printed grips matched up perfectly with this 2D blueprint.

Doing this, the overall width of the gun is 287mm.

(For reference, the model includes actual metric screw models.)

It should be noted that it's a pretty small gun, in the trigger area. Rey may have been able to fit her little fingers in there, but Han Solo wouldn't have been able to. (So why did he have the gun? :)

If you wanted to use it for cosplay or whatever, it might be worth scaling up the model by 10% or so.

Hello! I'm a long time lurker on this thread and thought it was about time I said thank you for all of the research/advice/instruction this thread has provided! Because of this thread I decided to teach myself about 3D modeling and get into some 3D printing. I recently finished my own 3D model of the blaster and thought I would share it for anyone who might want to use it. You may find it here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1705801

Any feedback is welcome! Enjoy!

Hello! I'm a long time lurker on this thread and thought it was about time I said thank you for all of the research/advice/instruction this thread has provided! Because of this thread I decided to teach myself about 3D modeling and get into some 3D printing. I recently finished my own 3D model of the blaster and thought I would share it for anyone who might want to use it. You may find it here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1705801

Any feedback is welcome! Enjoy!

Nice I like it. Are the dimensions you end up using based off of JediCharles renderings or completely from scratch? I started building a 3/4 version of Punish Props/ Bill's for my daughter and printed a full scale as well but it looks a little too big. So I'm going to re-print using either yours or trying to convert JediCharles's sketchup to STLs.
IMG_3930 (1).jpgIMG_3983.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back