Return to Oz (1985)- A Non-Prop Collection

OzReturner

Sr Member
Hello to all!

I am starting this thread as a companion piece to my prop replica thread, to showcase what I have that doesn't really fit in over there, so please have a look there to see what else I have.

Return to Oz (1985)- Fabricated and Real Props- Identification and Help!

This is my collection as of Feb. 2024. I'll be doing 1 post per item, to give each one it's own time in the spotlight.

20240227_152152.jpg

Last edited:
First up is my copy of Cinefex #22, with original mailing envelope. Not super insightful for actual prop questions, but still a great read, with some of the original, source photos of the Wheeler test, and the actor hunched over inside of Tik Tok. Plus, you can't beat that great cover of the Nome King about to eat Jack and Billina. I'd love to have a sculpt of him!

20230207_141904.jpg

Boring, and unremarkable, I know. Just a DVD copy of the movie. I like the cover artwork, which was one of the posters. Comes with a postcard, too.

20230207_142002.jpg

Not pictured is my Blu Ray copy, because you get the idea. That's where I get my screenshots from. An annoying feature is that it was only available through the Disney store with reward points, not commercially. So the only real way to get it conveniently, is on ebay.

Return to Oz trading card packs. I don't own the full set of cards, but I love these wax pack illustrations. I rotate out the top display pack every so often for a change of pace. I like to buy new packs in person at toy and comic shows, and am in no rush to complete the set. Pictured is the 4 package variations. The set is 44 cards, all of which are stickers. No cards will be pictured here. At least for the near future.

20230207_141927.jpg

Here are some 3D printed figurines I got on Etsy that I painted. Scarecrow with (limited) articulation, Billina with key around neck, tiny Mombi key, and the Gump head, which is mounted to the back wall of my cabinet shelf. I am going to make a tiny medal to hang from his antler, to look like the Tik Tok ornament that is seen there after warping out of the Nome King's collapsing mountain.

20230207_142052.jpg20230207_141643.jpg

A few years ago, I bought a Jack Pumpkinhead pattern on Etsy, so you can make your own. Handmade by me using felt, pipe cleaners for the legs and arms, and some buttons. It really nails just how tall and gangly Jack is, especially compared to the (out of scale) 3D printed figures. I love this guy!

20230207_141827.jpg

This is my pride and joy- my scratch built Tik Tok figurine. Years ago, I found a tutorial how somebody else made one, and had to try my hand at it. The body is a metal ball that had a puzzle inside, ping pong ball head, arms from a Terminator figure, Apoxie Clay, foam, plastic, springs, and various bits and bobs. The mini lunch pail is made out of a metal thimble. This was one of my first very elaborate, time consuming projects of this sort, taking me a few months off and on to complete. Painted with a variety of acrylics after spray priming. I am thrilled with how he turned out!

Here are some progress pics:

IMG_1157.jpgIMG_1160.jpgIMG_1162.jpgIMG_1501.jpgIMG_1523.jpgIMG_1532.jpgIMG_1552.jpgIMG_1559.jpgIMG_1591.jpgIMG_1593.jpg

And the glamour shots:

IMG_1598.jpgIMG_1603.jpgIMG_1609.jpgIMG_1611.jpgIMG_1625.jpgIMG_1616.jpg
IMG_1624.jpg

Also not in the display case, is my childhood "teddy bear," Jack. Even as a kid, I loved Return to Oz, and my aunt made me this stuffed toy of Jack Pumpkinhead, that I slept with every night. My mom had to resew his arms and legs back on and readhere the buttons, face, and stalk a few times, but he was (is) the best. Not accurate to his movie appearance, but what did I care? I had my own Jack. No longer a fan of that aunt, but I will always have this homemade memento from her.

20230217_120709.jpg

Just a public service announcement that I have been uploading a bunch of media to the site of images collected for Return to Oz. I've started with a bunch of Tik Tok references, if anybody is interested!

I bought this 3D file from Cults 3D of the main Nome Messenger in the mountain. About 6" long and maybe 3" tall. The file has since been updated to remove the text. Here it is in progress:
20230907_145751.jpg20230909_211814.jpg

And completed:
20230914_204051.jpg

He was voiced by Pons Maar, the head orderly for Dr. Worley and also the head wheeler for Mombi.

Thought about posting this in my prop thread, but feel like it belongs here more.

I love this movie. My youngest daughter loves ‘The Wizard of Oz’ so we watched ‘Return to Oz’, ‘The Wiz’, and ‘Oz the Great and Powerful’ and she loved them all (she’s 11).

Great collection.

I managed to snag a full set of the Topps trading cards, with 4 more wrappers and a box for a good price on ebay. Now that I have the set, here are all of the cards, front and back, plus the box top.

20231128_150214.jpg20231128_150331.jpg20231128_150338.jpg20231128_150409.jpg20231128_150415.jpg20231128_150433.jpg20231128_150439.jpg20231128_150447.jpg20231128_150452.jpg20231128_150502.jpg20231128_150505.jpg

This is absolutely FANTASTIC! Your DIY TikTok is AMAZING! Can I inquire where did you get TikTok's wind up knobs? Also, I see the pieces from the ornament room that Dorothy touched. Where in the world did you get those? I have been looking ALL OVER...(for years) for the green diamond shaped ornament that was the scarecrow. I am SO VERY impressed with your collection. WOW! I am currently working on a replica of Mombi's head cabinet. I always thought the head she was wearing when Dorothy first met her was the prettiest. I have a replica ruby key and Powder of Life, but I am really wanting to re-create the cabinet with the head. It should be a fun project. Thanks for any tips you can share on how I might obtain replicas of the wind up knobs, and ornament room items.

This is absolutely FANTASTIC! Your DIY TikTok is AMAZING! Can I inquire where did you get TikTok's wind up knobs? Also, I see the pieces from the ornament room that Dorothy touched. Where in the world did you get those? I have been looking ALL OVER...(for years) for the green diamond shaped ornament that was the scarecrow. I am SO VERY impressed with your collection. WOW! I am currently working on a replica of Mombi's head cabinet. I always thought the head she was wearing when Dorothy first met her was the prettiest. I have a replica ruby key and Powder of Life, but I am really wanting to re-create the cabinet with the head. It should be a fun project. Thanks for any tips you can share on how I might obtain replicas of the wind up knobs, and ornament room items.
Thank you so much for the enthusiastic response! Tik Tok's knobs were a 3D model download from Cults 3D, which I printed and painted. Ornament room item details can be found in my other thread, available here:

Return to Oz (1985)- Fabricated and Real Props- Identification and Builds

and here for the Scarecrow ornament, which has yet to be located:

Please Help ID This Return to Oz Green Glass Ornament

A head cabinet would be a great idea! There's lots of assorted stuff in there that can be hard to ID, as it's a bunch of bottles and stuff in shadows. There are some thoughts on some of those items in the first linked thread. I have yet to find a Mombi key that I am satisfied with, as they need to be transparent red with rounded edges, and the design is often wrong with what I see online. Best of luck to you and ask any further questions you may have, I'm happy to assist as needed!

Just got this fanmade sticker set from an Etsy seller! Jack and Billina, Scarecrow, Powder of Life, Lunch Pail, 2 sizes of Tik Tok, and the Ozma of Oz book logo. Nice quality, not going in my display case, though. These will be distributed on random stuff I use.

20240328_203248.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back