Restored picture of Enterprise first arrival

spockboy

Had some free time...

First Arrival.jpg

:)Spockboy

OMG, is that a Plymouth Fury back there?
Nice job on the photo. Care to list, generally, what you did?

Thanks Mike :)

-I removed over a hundred little speckles and scratches.
-Altered the color, (a lot of 1960's pictures have a red sheen over them)
-Altered the shadows and highlights ( a lot of the whites were blown out and pink)
-Lastly I filled in the rough edges of the picture.

I wish I had a very hi rez scan of the original photo so I could go to town on it. I think the Smithsonian has a lot of the original negatives.

enterprise%201964.gif

Attachments

• enterprise 1964.gif
    enterprise 1964.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Great explanation, S.B.

If the Smitty has the originals, perhaps they could provide you with a scan of the negs or prints - especially if you show them what you've done with what you have! ;^)

All they can say is 'no'!

Cheers - Robert

Great explanation, S.B.

If the Smitty has the originals, perhaps they could provide you with a scan of the negs or prints - especially if you show them what you've done with what you have! ;^)

All they can say is 'no'!

Cheers - Robert

Thanks!
That's true but I wouldn't know who to contact to get the negative.
Maybe someone here does.

:)

I like this photograph, I like it very much. Excellent job with the cleanup!

I just ran into a couple of versions of this photograph online. In the photograph on the right (according to this web page): Richard Datin, Vern Sion, Mel Keys and Volmer Jensen. But it seems to be a merge of the photos on the left and in the middle. This may be commonly known amongst the true connoisseurs, but I found this interesting. I wonder where the one on the right first showed up.

I like this photograph, I like it very much. Excellent job with the cleanup!

I just ran into a couple of versions of this photograph online. In the photograph on the right (according to this web page): Richard Datin, Vern Sion, Mel Keys and Volmer Jensen. But it seems to be a merge of the photos on the left and in the middle. This may be commonly known amongst the true connoisseurs, but I found this interesting. I wonder where the one on the right first showed up.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q614/Avanaut/Enterprise_zpsk61ntit4.jpg

Hey I think you're right. Maybe the Smithsonian wanted a pic with everyone involved in the same picture.
Makes sense.
Good catch!

Oh, sorry, I couldn't read it on this copy. I've seen one posted by the guy who photoshopped it who had text on it (or under it) that explained he did that just for fun, to have all the creators together.

It certainly appears they were all there at the same time, but swapped 'photographer' duties to make sure everyone was in the pictures. The length of the shadows in the background kind of make that obvious.

The guy who altered the pic did a good job with the foot of the fellow on the left since it wasn't visible in the original image. Only glitch I see is he didn't match the heights correctly (he made the additional guy too short...)

R/ Robert

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back