Red 5

Lord Hater

Hello.

I’ve been lurking for the past two years, studying and learning, and I’ve finally finished my first studio scale build: Red 5, from Nexus Models X-Wing Revisited kit.

Thanks to everyone for the information and inspiration join this hobby.

I hope you like it.
-Dave
DT_XWING01.pngDT_XWING02.pngDT_XWING03.pngDT_XWING04.pngDT_XWING05.pngDT_XWING06.pngDT_XWING07.pngDT_XWING08.png

Thanks, Guy. Your Red 3 build really helped demystify the painting and weathering process, and was one of the main reasons I decided to give it a try.

Thanks, Guy. Your Red 3 build really helped demystify the painting and weathering process, and was one of the main reasons I decided to give it a try.

Well thats really nice of you to say, I'm glad it did some good, having seen Red 3 up closes a few times now I have to say Im pretty pleased with what I did myself :)

Please post some more pics when you can, close up on the paint would be good. Ive no idea what I'm doing or why but if you ever want any tips just ask anytime, though by the looks of it you're doing fine work without random advice :)

Thanks, everybody!

And thanks for the offer Guy. My next build is going to be a Red 3, so I may have a lot of questions!

Here's a few more pics I shot with my iphone.
DT_XWING15.pngDT_XWING12.jpgDT_XWING09.jpgDT_XWING13.jpgDT_XWING10.pngDT_XWING14.jpgDT_XWING11.jpg
I was unsure what color to paint the visor of the pilot. In the overhead angle of the reference photos you can see a tiny sliver, and it appears to be orange. But if anyone knows what color it really is, I'd love to know.

Inside the wings I borrowed Moff Eaton's technique of taping the inserts into place. It works great, though the tape I used is too thick you can see it peeking through at the seams.

I also feel like I need to up the contrast of the weathered an unweathered panels on the underside of the nose. Any opinions would be welcome.

And thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Really nice, love the new shots, its nice to see great paint work, you've done a lovely job all over. What paint did you use for your rust colour, its really nice?

Wow, thanks again, everyone.

I painted my model with mostly Floquils bought off ebay.
Some Testors enamels were also used in a few spots.

I read that a lot of Luftwaffe colors are used on Boba Fett, and thought there was a chance that some were also used on the X-Wings.
So I tried a few:

Gleb RLM 04
Hellblau RLM 78
Lightgrun RLM 83
Olivegrun RLM 80
IMG_3167.JPG
RML 04 is a pretty good match for yellow/orange color used on Red 5's left can. To my eye it's closer than Reefer Yellow which can look a little green.
RLM 78 is a pretty good match for the light blue you see on Red 3's cockpit. (It's not even close to red 5's cockpit, however.)
RLM 80 and 83 are all over the Fett costume, and they're what I used on my green panels - though I think I went a bit too dark on them.

Anyway, the rust.

The rust color is a 50/50 mix of RLM 04 and Floquil Light Rust 2 enamel stain.
IMG_3164.JPG

Testors owned Floquil, and I think is still making this stain and calling it "creatfx rust #2". It's so close I can't tell the difference between the two.
CreatfxLight Rust 2.jpg
Another close match is Mig's Light rust enamel wash.
IMG_3165.JPG IMG_3166.JPG

I brushed it on undiluted first, then thinned it with Mr Color Leveling Thinner (thanks for the tip -... . .- --..) and lightly airbrushed over it in spots.

CreatfxLight Rust 2.jpg

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3165.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3165.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that thing looks amazing. I'm working on a Red 4 Hasbro repaint right now and, much like you, the information/inspiration these guys have provided has been the ONLY way I've been able to get anywhere with it.

One thing, I was curious as to if you put a clear coat or any kind of sealer over the finish once you were done with the weathering process.

Beautiful work though. Well balanced and not over done, which seems to be an important combination when trying to get one to look right.

No pastels were used for weathering, so I didn't need to use a fixative.
I tried to mimic the prop makers method of airbrushing really thin enamels and brushing/splashing on acrylic washes.
But yes, after everything was well cured I put a couple coats of acrylic flat over it to help protect the decals!

No pastels were used for weathering, so I didn't need to use a fixative.
I tried to mimic the prop makers method of airbrushing really thin enamels and brushing/splashing on acrylic washes.
But yes, after everything was well cured I put a couple coats of acrylic flat over it to help protect the decals!

Yeah I was pretty sure that your work on this thing was done primarily, if not entirely, with an airbrush. I did not see any real obvious areas pastel work. And I suppose that whether the clear was applied to protect a pastel technique or decals, the result as far as why I was asking, is the same. I really liked the overall finish and couldn't tell if it was just the paints you used or if there was an acrylic coat shot over the top of it.

Mine has some pigments on it, so it will have to be sealed when I'm all done with it. I assume flat is the standard when doing this?

Thanks for the clarification Dave, great job.

Something others commented on (and I love as well) is your rust color work. I like the colors you used as well as your placement/application.

One thing that maybe someone can set me straight on when it comes to the rust details is how most, if not all, examples of X-wings (especially Red 5) seem to have a rust affect added to the droid strip/rear plate areas of the ship. BUT, when I sit and stare at the hi-res reference pics of Red 3, the droid strip looks far more monotone in color and does not seem to show any real obvious areas with rust affects. Is that possibly due to color fading where tones like rust may have just simply been washed away over the years? Or did not all of the hero birds have rust in those areas like Red 5?

I used the Red 3 images quite a bit when working to get the base tone/weathering look down that I wanted and I am close to where I should be adding the rust affect and was curious as to why Red 3 appears different in that regard.

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts or insight on this.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back