Recommendations for a freight company to ship life-size statue

Brent M

Sr Member
OK, I'm not sure if this is the proper section for this, but I wasn't sure where else to post it so if the mods need to move it I completely understand.

Basically, I'm trying to find out if anyone here knows of a good way to ship a life-size statue in the U.S. I'm going to be selling my Rubies/Burnett life-size Darth Vader(#445/500) and my only problem is figuring out how I'm going to get this giant monstrosity shipped. The statue itself is 7' tall, but it doesn't really weigh much, probably 75-80 lbs. with the base.

I contacted Craters & Freighters, just because they're the only freight company I've ever dealt with, for a rough estimate quote and they said it would be $965 for pick up from my house and transport of 2000 miles or a whopping $1766 for them to do everything(crate, packing, insurance).

I'm just wondering if there are any better options out there and if so, what would they be? If anyone can give me advice on this I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks. :cool

You could hire a private person. Advertise looking for someone with a truck who might be traveling past your location. A couple hundred towards their gas to drop it off. Just an idea.

Well, I don't know that I would want to entrust this to just anyone with a truck. I'd need someone who could insure it and give me tracking info, etc. I was just trying to see if there are any cheaper options out there than the outrageous # quoted to me by Craters & Freighters.

Hey Brent,

I've shipped quite a few large items recently using a company called PAK-MAIL.

They were a lot cheaper than anybody else. I shipped a lifesize Gentle Giant Yoda and a lifesize mostly metal R2D2 using these guys.

It's worth a call or a stop by a local store if you have one nearby.

HTH,

Brad

Thanks for the suggestion, Brad. I checked their website and unfortunately it doesn't look like there's a store anywhere near me. I'm going to keep searching and hopefully I can find a company that will do what I'm looking for.

By the way, did you get my e-mail about the new project? :love

Hi there Brent,
I happen to work in the trucking industry and I can tell you from experience and what I've seen, stay away from the LTL (Less Than Load) Carriers (companies like ABF - whom I work for, Yellow, Roadway, etc.) because your piece is going to get mixed in with any other stuff they may be happening to ship at that time putting it at high risk. Anything delicate like what you're talking about is almost sure to get damaged.

You may want to go with a private carrier, it's going to cost you more (and I would definitely insure it) but I personally think it would be the best and safest way to go.
Good luck!

Thanks for your helpful response. Are there any private carriers you would recommend? Please feel free to PM me with any info you might have. Thanks.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back