Randy Cooper GALILEO Shuttle !!!!

I got it a week or two ago in the first batch sent out.
Will be a while before I can get to this but didn't want to miss out.
You will be happy with this kit!

I wasn't planning on making it with the doors open, but you practically have to to show off the great details inside.

Randy did a great job on this. Some of the details need a bit of finessing (what else is new), but over all it's a terrific kit. And the scale is perfect given the subject.

At the risk of repeating myself . . . . I hope someone will post pictures of their build!!! :lol

I was going to wait until I had more to show, but what the heck…

The assembly is fairly straight forward, with a couple of exceptions. Randy’s kit comes with solid resin engines, but since I wanted to install an aftermarket warp lighting effect (originally designed for the Polar Lights 1:1000 Enterprise kit) I ended up scratching new (hollow) engines from pvc, styrene, and Evercoat.

shut3.jpg

Can I just say that working with pvc sucks? The end result is what I was after, but getting there was a complete pain in the ass.

shut5.jpg

In order to connect the lighting circuits in the engines with the 9V power source in the hull I dug out a shallow channel in each winglet, then covered the openings with thin styrene strips, followed by the web bracing parts included with the kit.

shut4.jpg

Test fit of the top and bottom hull halves indicates areas to be filled and sanded.

shut1.jpg

shut2.jpg

Still a ways to go, but I’m getting there.

Anubis,
I know this thread is about the Galileo, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting that link to Randy's blog.
Otherwise I would never have seen that excellent Corellian Corvette!! I just ordered one. :)

Thanks.

After working on-and-off for a year on another fairly labor-intensive project (http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=203471&highlight=1/16+flying), the Galileo has been a fun, sanity-preserving diversion.

Randy did a nice job on the master. Kudos also to Phil Broad, who spent a lot of time researching this subject, and who’s excellent drawings served as the (non-credited) basis for Randy’s kit.

shut7.jpg

The twin vents included with the model defied my efforts to clean them up, so I laser-cut replacements out of 1/32 acrylic. It’s subtle, but the extra crispness of detail makes a difference (at least to me).

shut8.jpg

shut9.jpg

Still filing off the rough edges, but you get the idea.

I'll post light test pix once I get the thing wired. I'm not building the interior so it shouldn't take too long to finish her up (famous last words, lol).

Last edited:
Very nice!!! One thing though, I thought those two things on the right of the bottom front of the hull were lights; not vents. In the series they only show-up as black holes so no telling what they really were. Here are a few pix.

EnterpriseIncidentcap.jpg

vent.jpg

Will

Last edited:
Huh. I've always seen them referred to as vents.

Thing is, what would be the point of having two search lamps of equal size placed side-by-side like that? Why not just have a single, more powerful lamp hooked to a dimmer?

Guess I'll have to do a little more research before priming over the clear plex. :)

Huh. I've always seen them referred to as vents.

Thing is, what would be the point of having two search lamps of equal size placed side-by-side like that? Why not just have a single, more powerful lamp hooked to a dimmer?

Guess I'll have to do a little more research before priming over the clear plex. :)

Aircraft generally have two bright lights, landing and taxi.
Just thinking if they are supposed to be lights, maybe that is what they were thinking. But heck there are no anti-collision or nav lights like an aircraft or the Enterprise herself, so who knows.

Phil Broad's drawings refer to the openings in question as "vents," but this may only be conjecture on his part (note the absence of surface detail).

Picture1-10.jpg

I'll dig around a little more before making a final determination. The twin lamps thing doesn't quite ring true to me, but that's probably due to my long held assumption that the openings were vents.

Here's a small peek at the interior lighting arrangement. This is the first model I've ever wired for lighting, and I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed the process.

sc1.jpg

This was just a test for placement, to make sure the lights were the proper distance from the windows to create a nice, even glow.

sc2.jpg

The ambient room light was pretty low when I took these, so the cabin illumination is not as bright as it appears. Photographic gel will warm up those windows, but you get the idea.

sc3.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back