R.I.P. Toys R Us

A couple days before Christmas I went with my mom to Macy's to help her pick out a gift for my niece. We were walking by one door to go in another and she says "Hey do you want to go to Toys R Us?" and I look in the door and there's literally a kiosk with a Toys R Us sign. I went "Really..?" and she's just laughing because she knows I had just had talked about our old TRU with my niece and nephew.

Came to Macys at the mall, and wasn't even thinking about ToysRus, but they have a small section...and NO prices. Everything is like 25% or more off....but off from what? For all we know, they raised the prices and "put them on sale".
Wait, I found prices on the back or bottom of each package. Not retyping anything.
1000012518.jpg

I like these Hotwheels models. They are all $14, but possibly on sale. Don't see a sign.
1000012519.jpg

This TMNT van is $6.49, but at 25% off should be about $5. My Grandpa gave me like $12 for Christmas, might as well treat myself.
1000012520.jpg

As much as I loved Toys “R” Us and excitedly took my girls there, they really did price themselves out of business. Why pay $21.99 for a Barbie doll that you could literally buy at Walmart for $14.99

As much as I loved Toys “R” Us and excitedly took my girls there, they really did price themselves out of business. Why pay $21.99 for a Barbie doll that you could literally buy at Walmart for $14.99
Yeah, people want cheaper. A certain “generation” would pay for the extra money just for the nostalgia and the experience, but the majority of the world will go to Walmart, Target, or Amazon to save a few bucks.

In defense of Walmart, back when I went to Toys R Us, they only had 3 or 4 rows that I would check. But and it's a big but, those rows were filled with G.I. Joe, Star Wars, etc. Not the few figures you see today in Walmart or Target stores. And Toys R Us always seemed to keep stock. I never felt that if a figure wasn't there. That it wouldn't get restocked in a day or so. Or it might be at another Toys R Us. Perhaps even Kay Bee, Circus World, or Mall Toy Store. It was nothing like today.

In defense of Walmart, back when I went to Toys R Us, they only had 3 or 4 rows that I would check. But and it's a big but, those rows were filled with G.I. Joe, Star Wars, etc. Not the few figures you see today in Walmart or Target stores. And Toys R Us always seemed to keep stock. I never felt that if a figure wasn't there. That it wouldn't get restocked in a day or so. Or it might be at another Toys R Us. Perhaps even Kay Bee, Circus World, or Mall Toy Store. It was nothing like today.
I blame a lot on resellers these days. Stores get minimal stock and they get picked over the night or morning that they are getting stocked on the shelves. It’s a whole different experience these days.

I blame a lot on resellers these days. Stores get minimal stock and they get picked over the night or morning that they are getting stocked on the shelves. It’s a whole different experience these days.
True. Resellers is a kind word. There wasn't an ebay. So flippers / scalpers didn't have the market. Unless it was sports tickets or something. The only hot seller I remember towards when I think Toys R Us started to get bad was a Teddy doll or that tickle Elmo.

There wasn't any fear of missing out. Pre-Orders. Or artificially limited production items. Also prices were fairly even across stores I think. Except for maybe FAO Schwartz. But I barely remember getting anything there.

i just saw that TRU in Canada is starting to carry large sections for DVD/ CD and Vinyl records, when every other store is getting rid of those things. Could this hurt us Americans any more? lol, its basically becoming a time machine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back