Questions About Hospital Visits!

griefcomics

Hello--

I hope this is the correct place for this thread.

My name is Chris and I have been a long time costumer. My signature character is Spider-man as I feel as though I embody him the most. As much as I like the experience of cons, I'd like to venture away from that and truly try and make people happier. I had a job for years appearing as "Sonic the Hedgehog" for Sega and truly enjoyed the excitement it brought to people.

I proposed the idea of visiting Children's hospitals to my girlfriend (who's attending college to be a grade school teacher) and she was very enthusiastic about it and wanted to help. I figured having Spider-man appear for pictures, autographs, and pass out small Spidey gifts, and hand kids "honorary superhero" cards. I obviously will provide everything needed and want nothing in return. I just want to use my fandom created costume for something good and to inspire others.

I came here because I'm a long time lurker and know many of you take costuming seriously. I know close to NOTHING on how to go about actually organizing one.

How do I build some kind of credibility for this? Am I violating any kind of character copyright? Can someone share with me there experience on going about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Am I violating any kind of character copyright?

If you are not making any $$$ for doing this, then i don't see how a character copyright violation could be brought against you.
Also, what type of a-hole corporation is going to take you to court for dressing as spiderman to make sick kids happy???

I'm sorry that I am unable to answer any of your questions, but if you look up your local children's hospital online, you should be able to find a contact person to email/phone. I'm sure they would be only too happy to help you out.

If you are not making any $$$ for doing this, then i don't see how a character copyright violation could be brought against you.
Also, what type of a-hole corporation is going to take you to court for dressing as spiderman to make sick kids happy???

Haha yes I figured as such but I just wanted to be safe.

I'm sorry that I am unable to answer any of your questions, but if you look up your local children's hospital online, you should be able to find a contact person to email/phone. I'm sure they would be only too happy to help you out.

Yes that is my next step. I just was wondering if I can get some answers from possible costumers that have done it. Thank you for your reply :)

So...I work at a hospital. If you want to follow this, you'll need to first contact the hospital's volunteer services department and speak to the director and let them know what you want to do. They in turn will likely arrange a meeting with the pediatrics director for the units you want to visit. You would essentially be a 'volunteer employee' of the hospital and would probably need to go to an orientation or similar.

There are also, in certain times, 'one off' visits that they will arrange at times for picture opportunities with staff and patients.

They may get the director of marketing involved, but not necessarily. First thing is to contact the hospital and try to not just talk to the volunteer services director over the phone, but try and set up a live meeting, bring some pictures of you in the costume and have an 'itinerary' of what you would like the visits to be like when you go. The more of a professional appearance you make, the more likely you are to get in.

Hope this helped.

NakedMoleRat thank you so so much for your help! I truly appreciate it. I will be taking this steps as soon as I finish updating my costume. I can't wait. Again, thank you.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back