Question for sfx experienced members - fiberglass molds?

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi folks,

There are a number of blaster currently on heritage auctions and I’ve noticed between those, blasters in the archives, and even a few lightsabers… they’re not resin casts.

Like.. I understand resin casting, using rubber to make the mold and pouring in liquid. I’ve even seen some members like poopapapapalps make shell casts by turning the mold and letting it drip.

How are these solid (mildly hollow) blaster molds made? Wouldn’t you see the fibers on the outside of the cast? I’ve never seen this done and am curious how it’s made. They look brittle but probably are more lightweight than a solid resin piece

Thank you!

I believe you first pour in a Gel-Coat and rotate the mold to make the outermost layer of the item smooth. After the gel-coat sets next you either pour resin/fiberglass with fibers inside or brush the resin/fiberglass with fiber cloth on the backside.

Here we go!
All of these are described as hollow cast fiberglass. One Cloud City blaster is described as having a gel coat.
lf (1).jpeg
lf (2).jpeg
lf (3).jpeg
lf (4).jpeg
lf (5).jpeg
lf.jpeg

I can't find the cloud city blaster with the damage showing the fiberglass
Also I think vader's severed hand was hollow fiberglass too
Darth-Vader-Return-of-the-Jedi-Lightsaber-Bob-Burns-Collection-x600.jpg

I believe you first pour in a Gel-Coat and rotate the mold to make the outermost layer of the item smooth. After the gel-coat sets next you either pour resin/fiberglass with fibers inside or brush the resin/fiberglass with fiber cloth on the backside.

This. Exactly how you'd do it.

Thank you!

Building on this…Wouldn’t the mold be sealed at that point? I can’t se show one would brush anything inside a blaster mold without breaking the shell

Unless a liquid mixture of fiberglass and resin was used as a second gel coat… THAT makes sense

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back