Question about Indy hat from this website

AFAIK, the felt on the deluxe is of a higher quality and it's better pounced.

I'm not sure if there is a slight colour variation, or not?

Anyway, yours looks good, man! The new Fed IV block is a huge improvement over the original federation blockshape.

I just want to echo the praises of the Akubra Federation IV (standard) and Hats Direct. I ordered mine on May 28th, received an e-mail from them on the 29th stating it would be shipped the next day, and I received it today; Australia to Southern California in a week!

For me, 100% screen accurate wasn't necessary. I wanted a "close enough" hat that I could wear whenever and wherever I wanted, would last more than a few years, and wasn't going to empty my bank account. What I received was a hat that, IMO, looks exactly like the hat Ford wore in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (after bashing, that is; the Fed IV is shipped open-crown so you can shape it the way you want it). And, since Akubra hats are known for their durability and ability to take their fair share of abuse, I'm sure I'll be wearing this hat for years to come.

Considering the price, service, and quality, I would recommend this hat to anyone interested in owning their own Indiana Jones hat. But don't take my word for it--pay a visit to the forums at Club Obi Wan (http://www.indygear.com/cow/) and read the posts regarding the quality of this hat for yourself.

Edit: I just discovered this website, which has photos of the "hero" Fedora worn by Ford in most of Raiders of the Lost Ark. If this were a brand new hat, it and the Fed IV would be nearly identical with regards to color and dimensions.

Last edited:
IMG_4352.jpg

It is really a very nice looking hat, Brad.
Awesome weathering!

Always a pleasure to deal with Todd as I have done 2 times so far.

A lot of hats out there, and it really comes down to which hat, in which movie, in which scene, that you are trying to replicate.

I have an Adventurebilt, an Akubra, and two Herbert Johnson's from Todd, and while they are all fine hats, my favorite are my Herbie's from Todd.

ON TODD : Yes, awesome to deal with. I purchased whip holders from him and has always very upstanding to deal with.

ON FEDORAS : I am surprised no one has mentioned Optimo in the talk about Fedora's ? That's my hat of choice and as far as I am concerned the only kind of floppiness that meets the Raider's standard. Andy, I could bring it to Comic Con if you want to check it out. I have a feeling Indy Gear is going to be the hit this year.

Last edited:
Also wish to chime in regarding Todd -
An excellent and reliable vendor even for international - His accessories especially are hard to beat. One thing you learn soon enough with IndyGear is that its always a work in progress. This is Todd's jacket, belts and gloves on my costume as of now...

Indy_RPF.jpg

And in case you were wondering, the hat is a Lee Keppler/AB.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Optimo in the talk about Fedora's ? That's my hat of choice and as far as I am concerned the only kind of floppiness that meets the Raider's standard. Andy, I could bring it to Comic Con if you want to check it out. I have a feeling Indy Gear is going to be the hit this year.
The Optimo hat is indeed the bees knees, I feel a tad dense for not mentioning it earlier since it’s the fedora you initially suggested months way back for very good reason.

I would really appreciate taking a look at it at SDCC dude; as for the folks at Indy Gear this really is going to be a swell year for the site and its couldn't be a better time to be a fan or aficionado.

I've got an old Akubra Fed Deluxe that I've worn as a everyday wear hat for about 4 years now. It's been rained on, snowed, on, dropped in a puddle of motor oil, left in the back of a REALLY hot car, been downrange of automatic weapon fire, (with my head in it!) Folded, spindled, and mutilated.

It's still a fine looking hat. I plan on sending it out to Art Faucett for a reblock, but other than that, it's held up fantastically.

That said, I got to examine up close the new Fed IV a few weeks ago, and MAN, it's a sweet-lookin' lid too! Have to put your own bash in it, but that's half the fun!

Anyway, all the best, and good luck with whatever lid you decide to buy!

-Dan.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back