Puppet for a sci-fi show I'm doing

hoggworks

Hey all,

I thought I'd post pictures of a build I'm doing for a puppet for a character named Catarel for a show I'm building called the Pilkington. Catarel is a robot with a giant sphere for her head, and a slender body. This is a sketch of what I want her to look like:

tumblr_m6221hVzIA1rtlrbfo1_1280.png

I debated a variety of ways to make her head, which should look like she's got a surveillance camera as her face. I started just making a half-sphere out of foam, but that's tricky to get right. I was considering doing something with a pepakura sphere pattern I found, but while the resin/bondo stuff is pretty cool, I'm less enamoured of pepakura as I was before I tried to build anything with it.

I was thinking of using some Worbla or building a new Vacuum form table, but I'd need to have a perfect circle as the base shape, and that's the tricky part. Luckily, I found a 10" styrofoam ball at Michael's (craft shop), so I'll be using that.

Given the texture of the styrfoam I'll want to smooth it out, so I'm stealing the technique of someone on these forums who is making a great Iron Man costume out of foam and am glueing the sphere to seal it before applying some resin to smooth it out. This is what it looks like presently:

tumblr_ml4gdgthE61rtlrbfo1_1280.jpg

The blue band is meant to be the lip, as though the front (which I'll make black) could be raised up to reveal a camera. I'll put more resin on one side of the band than the other in order to sell the illusion.

Anyway, it'll take me several days to get enough coats of glue completed, but when I do I'll post more pictures.

Minor updates! I carved out the main body shape, though it might be a little too thick, so I might redo it. Am going to mull that as I move on to the other pieces.

tumblr_mlghjqJr9Q1rtlrbfo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mlghjqJr9Q1rtlrbfo2_500.jpg

I got some time today to work on the foam body some more. I got the pieces carved and sanded to my satisfaction (at least for right now).

Pieces of her hand:
tumblr_mlor1yPBHz1rtlrbfo1_500.jpg

Her arm and hand:
tumblr_mlor1yPBHz1rtlrbfo3_500.jpg

Her whole body, incredibly roughly:
tumblr_mlor1yPBHz1rtlrbfo4_500.jpg

Her neck, with space carved for lights that will either be always on or be on when she's talking, depending on my energy:
tumblr_mlor1yPBHz1rtlrbfo5_500.jpg

Next I've got to coat the foam in glue a bunch, then start to coating it. Then I'll need to figure out the best way to attach the limbs in a way that will allow movement.

Today I got a hot knife and I built a new version of the puppet's body. I'd never used a hot knife before: it was slow, but nice and the results were good. Definitely worth the $30 I spent (I got a craft version, rather than the pro that was available). The new one came out really well, and looks just like the concept art. As a plus, it doesn't look stupid in three dimensions!

It's much more slender and elegant than my initial version. What do you think?

tumblr_mm377jQMQm1rtlrbfo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mm377jQMQm1rtlrbfo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mm377jQMQm1rtlrbfo3_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good! How much movement will she need? Will her hands need to move? Depending on how animated she needs to be, you could use small servos, or rig her as a traditional marionette.

Instead of a styrofoam ball, you may have been able to use an acrylic sphere (orhalf-spheres). That would have allowed you paint the inside (leaving the exterior to look like a lens), and you'd have the option of adding illumination in the head as well.

Subscribed :)

Thanks!

WarPig, I hadn't thought of that. I might have to look into the cost of one. I hadn't imagined illuminating the inside of her, given that the front of her dome is meant to be like the plastic covering security cameras. As far as movement goes, her head needs to swivel, which I'll do at the joint where the neck will connect to the body, and attach her head to neck fairly rigidly.

I'll be aiming for slight movement of arms, mostly up and down, nothing terribly articulated, and I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to connect the limbs, as yet.

I just looked through some hollow ball listings, and that's pretty tempting. I might do that, but I'll probably end up doing the first head myself to see if I can get it to look good enough.

Last edited:
If you do try an acrylic dome, you could paint the back half black, and "mist coat" the front - just enough to give the illusion of opacity, but allow light to be seen.

Hi hoggworks, I'm following this - great design! What kind of glue are you applying to the surface - and what type/brand of resin will you be using to coat it with?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back