Prop Exhibit Opportunity:Supernatural

Beth Heinly

Hi All ---
Wondering if there are any Supernatural fans with prop replicas they would like to exhibit? I'm curating an exhibit at a gallery in Philadelphia, Vox Populi during Wizard World Comic Con/June 2014. I'm specifically looking for prop replicas from Supernatural. I am looking for artists, not salesmen. This exhibit is about appreciating the craftsmanship involved with prop replication. The artists I have so far are myself, Oz DeShaw, [name removed by request] & Andrew Boozee. I am only looking for a few more props. If there's any props (from list below) listed by myself/Beth Heinly that you would like to exhibit - I would display your prop over mine. I'd like to include as many artists as possible.

PROPS:
The Colt/Oz DeShaw
Angel Blade/Oz DeShaw
EMF Detector/RPFKOV
Ghostfacers EMF Detector/Andrew Boozee
Winchester Journal/[name removed by request]
Cigar Box w/ fake I.D.'s/Beth Heinly
Dead Man's Blood/Beth Heinly
Angel Tablet/Beth Heinly
Fast Food/Takeout replica/Beth Heinly
Dean's Wrestling Certificate/Beth Heinly
Sam's Chastity Vow "Purity Pledge"/Beth Heinly
Angel Trap (projection) /Beth Heinly
(not in the actual TV show)For Dean: Hentai Manga Poster/Beth Heinly
2 windows in gallery will be blacked out and painted with demon wards/Beth Heinly

Advantages displaying at Vox Populi would be getting the opportunity to show your art to not only Comic Con visitors (Vox Populi is located 2 blocks from the Convention Center), but also the arts community in Philadelphia, as well as online press. If you are interested, please get in touch with me either through my RPF profile or personal email: bethheinly@gmail.com

Last edited:
Hmm... perhaps you could have an amulet of mine, if you're interested. But I'd need some more information, the whole idea seems highly questionable. I mean, why? Not that your intentions are illegitimate, that is. But what is the point of this display and was is the potential benefit of arranging such a display? If you're not affiliated with Warner Bro's. etc. why go to the effort, other to drum up potential business in the future. I can't guess what Warner's would have to say about this either, but then again I've never been to such an event. So, I really have no idea of what goes on, or what is or isn't allowed. Very interesting endeavour, regardless.

It looks like you'll be requiring a few key more props. You'll certainly want a John W. Journal, Ruby's knife, Dean's jacket and Amulet. I'd like to see a complete set of SUPERNATURAL paperback novels, that'd be novel. A full scale arsenal from Dean's trunk would be supremely bad ass! It seems aside from a few big ticket items, all you've amassed thus far is small-time generic stuff. You really need a draw card or two. Plus, I wouldn't feel right placing anything with my name to it in the same display as a hentai poster. That's just weird...

Last edited:
Devil's Trap, from what I gather, this is an art exhibit/gallery, just to display your art. A lot of hard work went into making these props and they ARE works of art! I am not that talented, I did not make anything that could go on display, but if I had, I would want people to see what I made, and I wouldn't be doing it just to drum up business. I think it sounds very cool and if I were in the area, I would definitely have a look-see, but I am on the west coast. Also, they are including RPFKOV's Journal in the display, which you seem to have missed... I think it's a little disrespectful of you to say they only have "small time generic" props and that they're missing big ticket items when they have most of the main props from the show (colt, angel blade, journal, tablet, etc), not mention the hard work and time put into them!

Last edited:
I fully agree
if these props she already got are
"small time generic "
I do not know what is good
little disrespectful
Terrible comment:facepalm

Last edited:
Nope! I stand by that comment wholeheartedly. Other than a select few people in the know, most of those items wouldn't exactly engage the viewer beyond them being aesthetically pleasing or helping to create a general vibe. I'm not saying that they are any less desirable than some of the major-major props, but from a plot-wise point of view - they just aren't as important. Non-viewers probably won't hook with those niche props. You'd need a big draw card, like the Impala or something along those lines to appeal to more people. I mean, even non-viewers can recognise the Impala or the colt - but a jar full of blood? That's not being disrespectful, that's being honest - there's a huge difference.

I look forward to seeing everything displayed! The more items big or small I'm sure everyone would love to see everything and will appreciate the hard work that went into each item! :D

Just wanted to say I appreciate everyone's comments, even Devils Trap. I think they brought up some good points. I'm not from Warner Bro's - that's an interesting perspective though as to why fans who are not making any money through prop replication create their props? And it links with my concept of wanting to put these props on display in an art gallery to an audience looking to see art - because artists don't make art for money either. They make art for the love of their craft. Any artist otherwise - you can see it in their work. And I am stating with this exhibit that prop replication is an art form. I chose Supernatural because I watch the show, but I believe they embrace the prop for reasons pertaining to their fan base and they have also had many episodes that support this idea like last seasons, "Larp and the Real Girl". Another interesting point/concern that Devils Trap brought up was about how an audience outside of being a fan of the show is going to enjoy the exhibit. I'm so happy Devils Trap brought this up because that's the fun part. First off, there will be a fan zine with picture of the prop and description - as well as artist bios. That said, there will be no labels in the gallery. I want the audience to be both intrigued and confused. That's the art in itself. The other audience I want to be there are actual fans of the show. Wizard World Comic Con is happening the month the exhibit's up and I will be giving walking tours from the Convention Center, which is just down the street. I am currently in touch with a Wizard World press contact and trying to work something out in cooperation with Wizard World as far as listing on their site or any other way I can work with them.

The hentai poster is weird and I see it as a touchstone to the exhibit for the art audience and the fan based audience to meet. Anime is an art form. LoL and for real - currently there are a number of contemporary net artists working with the anime form within their artwork and the sophisticated art audience that regularly attends Vox exhibitions should pick up on that, because just like in Supernatural, there are icons, queues, that an audience responds to. As for the dead man's blood - I used that prop in a separate performance [not related to Supernatural] and had a Supernatural fan comment that they recognized the prop - how weird is that?

For the record, I am insanely impressed with everyone's prop contributions to this exhibit so far and am very lucky they are willing to share their work with myself and Vox Populi. Along the way they have also been teaching me a lot about the world of prop replication and I could not pull off this exhibit without them.

If you have a prop you would like to share drop me a line: bethheinly@gmail.com. And thank you everyone for commenting your thoughts on the exhibit, please continue. All your comments are really helpful - good or bad. As an artist, I really don't mind criticism - just as long as you're not being a troll - an example of trolling would be calling major tropes within the show "small-time generic props". :)

**Vox Populi is a non profit art gallery. If you were to sell your work while on display at Vox the artist gets 100% of the profits. The artist may also choose to list the work as NFS. I make no money for this - in fact, I actually lose money.

Last edited:
Well said Beth! :D That's why I am happy to be involved. I've sending duplicates of my EMF and John Winchester's Journal.

Last edited:
Hi All,

**UPDATE* Supernatural fans, I have had two artists drop out of this exhibit. Sad & stressed. Please help a girl out and drop me a line if you make prop replicas from Supernatural: bethheinly@gmail.com

I use my real name on here so you know I'm for real :) Check me out on all the social media & if you live in Philly or near the city come to this show!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back