Prometheus (Post-release)

Actually, I wonder how tall those Engineer figures are compared to the Revoltech Alien I have on my desk. That could be interesting.

On a side note, who's buying the Blu-ray?!? I bet the percentage is a lot higher than most of you would care to admit.. lol.
Definitely getting it, but I'm going to wait a while to see what is actually on the BR disk. The French boxed set contents indicates it will have tons of extras and commentary, but NO extended cut. I don't want to rebuy it a year from now.

Not that it was ever confirmed there will be one. Ridley said "maybe", when asked, and reiterated he was very happy with the theatrical release.

Definitely getting it, but I'm going to wait a while to see what is actually on the BR disk. The French boxed set contents indicates it will have tons of extras and commentary, but NO extended cut. I don't want to rebuy it a year from now.

Not that it was ever confirmed there will be one. Ridley said "maybe", when asked, and reiterated he was very happy with the theatrical release.

There's a Prometheus Blu-ray panel @ CC that I'm sure will answer this...

581946_307655839331480_1514046547_n.jpg

Called the number....The end reminded me of The Fourth Kind though....

But either way....Project Prometheus "relaunch"????

On a side note, who's buying the Blu-ray?!? I bet the percentage is a lot higher than most of you would care to admit.. lol.
I won't buy it but I will probably rent it. I will have had time to get over my disappointment that this was misadvertised and I will not be expecting an action movie.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

That David will be a must have. Unfortunately, the Engineers and aliens are a smaller scale than the humans. Odd. I would have expected it to be the other way around. Maybe the series 1 Engineers are the large scale.

The engineers (being in the first series and closest to release) are close to if not actual size of the figures to be released. The human figures you see there are prototypes at double scale. I asked the NECA rep and he confirmed the Engineers and humans would be in proper scale with each other.

Dunno if this is still necessary, especially in this topic but:
SPOILERS!
I think there's definitely something to the movie. There's some strangeness to the plot, but most of it seems to be unanswered rather than inconsistent. Well... except the cave drawings, ie "How did they get coordinates to that system if the Engineers only visited the once millenia before humans existed, and didn't seem to really care about them" (IE "would you give an insect the map to your home?") but that could also just be an unanswered question. I'm wholly open to there being multiple factions within the Engineers' civilization.

I really have two main theories about the movie though.
1) This is the movie Scott wanted to make when he made Alien. Which really means Prometheus is his Episode 1, which considering how that turned out, isn't that bad really ("Movie Spanning Pod Race" trumps "Rolling Space Ship" on the scale of terrible ideas). There's a lot to support this, with multiple scenes, ideas and images taken directly from the original plans for Alien. It's a bad thing because without all of that extra stuff Alien was a really good Science Fiction and Horror movie and it stuck to a single idea throughout really well.
The horror came from not seeing the monster and it's graphic depictions of male-rape. Prometheus tries to bring a lot of existential horror to the equations along with dozens and even hundreds of different themes throughout the entire movie, and because everyone has their own agenda it tries to directly address all of them. I know that's a good thing from a narrative angle, but not in movies. What it is good in directly leads us to #2

2) It's a movie based on a novel that was never written. If you think about it, every single person named within the movie has a direction and motive for the expedition. In most movies this means three to four people with different outlooks on the situation, in Prometheus this meant 6-12 people. That's not the kind of thing you try to toss into a feature length movie. It's the kind of complexity that works really well within a novel. On top of that you have many important ideas being tossed around and they're happening so fast that you don't have time to process them.
"The murals are changing.." Oops, we're only going to show you half a second of that, but since you only saw a single second of it anyways, it's not going to matter.
That's the kind of thing that requires descriptions and written words to convey. Three seconds of film just makes it meaningless to the moviegoers. It keeps happening too; the alien head, the worms in the ground that were touched by the ooze, David talking to the Engineer. It's all information that happens incredibly quickly but is important to the narrative. Spread it out and write it down and you have an excellent science fiction novel. Compact it in and film it and you have Prometheus.

I didn't find any single thing I objected to in the movie, but when you put it all together it's just a bit of a mess.
Ridley Scott also broke one of the cardinal rules of film making. You can make a bad movie and fans will forget it, but if you make a disappointing movie fans will never let you live it down.

Last edited:
Everything that Prometheus did, ALIEN did first and a lot better. Biomechanical art design that actually looked "bio", because they used the real thing! In Prometheus, the art team was all "Let's take the bio out of biomechanical and make it biomecahnical in shape";

This is one of the many things still keeping me from paying out to see this. Every time these pale shadows of '79 biomechanics are onscreen I will be grinding my teeth in rage. The chances of me actually expressing my irritation out loud will be high. Not fair on the other audience members! I'm hypersensitive when it comes to visual good taste. Add to that the fact that Scott's telling a story I don't even want telling i.e what jockeys and derelicts are, and showing me things which I consider iconoclastic (running jockeys, jockeys-that-are-suits {blech!}, dudes sitting in jockey-chairs etc.) then the wisest thing would probably be for me to continue to stay away, I think.

This is one of the many things still keeping me from paying out to see this. Every time these pale shadows of '79 biomechanics are onscreen I will be grinding my teeth in rage. The chances of me actually expressing my irritation out loud will be high. Not fair on the other audience members! I'm hypersensitive when it comes to visual good taste. Add to that the fact that Scott's telling a story I don't even want telling i.e what jockeys and derelicts are, and showing me things which I consider iconoclastic (running jockeys, jockeys-that-are-suits {blech!}, dudes sitting in jockey-chairs etc.) then the wisest thing would probably be for me to continue to stay away, I think.

I think you're making the right decision, Colin. It did annoy me and there's absolutely no way it fits into my own view of the Alien universe. As a stand-alone sci-fi movie it's good fun with nice some hardware but as soon as it starts violating classic scenes from Alien, it serves only to irritate.

It bothers me that people will now try and retro-fit elements from this film into what they think they know about Alien. To me it's no more canon than is AvP.

Aside from thirty years of design changes (which 99% of the audience won't even notice), I don't really see how anything in Prometheus contradicts anything in Alien. Alien is still what it is.

Yeah, back to that "99% of the audience doesn't notice" thing.

I don't really see it the way that guy does. He knew going into it that this was going to explain away some of the "mystery". And I don't think it does anything to lessen the impact of the original film. It still is what it is.

This is what Prometheus changed for ALIEN.

JIMSMASH's Review

But the problem is that we don't even know for certain if the "Proto Alien" (aka "The Deacon") featured in the film is the first xenomorph ever. For all we know, the Deacon could very well be a similar xenomorph in appearance, but has no relation to the ones we see in Alien/Aliens/etc. I mean, there are thousands of species of birds, but it doesn't mean that all birds came from the same place in the world. Has Ridley Scott gone on record saying, "this is the very first alien from the series, ever?" The closest I've read is that he decided to do Prometheus without featuring the alien we know (and if what he says is true, then that means the Deacon is not the same alien species, but a distant cousin).

Space Jockey goodness.

But for me, this is space jockey badness. Gone from the head is all sense of the original's intriguing pathos - precisely as I predicted, by the way. Then there are the robot claw hands and the attempt to disengage the figure from the chair - with its sacrilegious break-up of the original's seamless flow from figure-belly to 'telescope'-support-thing. Genius replaced by dullness. Compared to the '79 version it's suckage. Voysey's '79 jockey sculpt perfectly captures the essence of the head in Giger's painting. This head here throws all those subtleties out the window and replaces them with nothing of interest. Genius polluted by mediocrity.

By the way, are we Prometheus naysayers going to find ourselves alone in calling the 'Alien' version the 'space jockey' now, as Prom-fans go over to calling it an 'engineer'? (or are engineers something different?) If so, this is going to be most tiresome. I refuse to acknowledge any change-of-terms for elements in 'Alien' on the grounds of how those elements have been exposited in 'Prometheus'.(Even 'xenomorph', when used to label the creature in the first film, bugs me. Ripley called the sodding thing 'the alien' in that movie and I think we should too!! Especially since 'xenomorph' is just a longwinded synonym for.... 'alien'!)

Last edited:
I think you're making the right decision, Colin. It did annoy me and there's absolutely no way it fits into my own view of the Alien universe. As a stand-alone sci-fi movie it's good fun with nice some hardware but as soon as it starts violating classic scenes from Alien, it serves only to irritate.

It bothers me that people will now try and retro-fit elements from this film into what they think they know about Alien. To me it's no more canon than is AvP.

Indeed. I just read that Jimsmash review. His final line is 'I wish I could unsee it.' Given my jealous, insane love for the original film that's definitely going to be me, I think. I already wish I could unsee the trailers and clips, to be honest. It's a pity - I would give a stand-alone fun SF movie from Scott with nice hardware etc. a chance, but not one that's going to jerk around with 'Alien' like this.

Compared to the '79 version it's suckage, in the same way that Cameron's alien heads are inferior to Giger's original sculpt.

While I don't know why you chose to edit out the Cameron reference (and I hope you don't mind me restoring it), but I am always intrigued by the fact that Cameron's changes are inferior. In my opinion, they are quite the opposite.

I never really did like the idea of a HUMAN skull behind the clear dome. (Though ironically it now oddly fits given the whole Engineer thing.)
Cameron brought LIFE into the Alien where the original was clunky and stale in execution. The shots of the Aliens crawling on the walls and in the ventilation ducts are far more creepy than any in the first film. Granted, Cameron had the benefit of a few more years advances in animatronics (and Stan Winston's genius) but as beautiful as Ridley's framing and camerawork is, a few shots of the Alien in the first film look hokey and unconvincing. For example, the "shock" cut when the Alien grabs Dallas and flips out it's rubbery hands like it's going "Ta da!"... the wide shot of the alien where it looks like a mannequin gliding slowly on a dolly. True, these are not pure aesthetics but I always thought the original looked a little too much like a stick figure.

^ Edited out so as not to start off a Cameron alien v Giger alien spat. But I was too late!
Wouldn't argue with you that Cameron got some good stuff out of his aliens' motions but I definitely prefer Giger's more maggot-like head - it's more obscene, more of the 'profane abomination' O'Bannon called for in his script. I know what you mean about the skull but thankfully I've never observed it onscreen; all I ever read in the movie is 'eyeless maggot thing'.

Oh, as for the wide shot you mentioned - I LOVE that shot. And the Dallas shot is as creepy as anything in Aliens to me. It's just somehow very disturbing that the alien would make that movement...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back