Pre Iron Man Scuplt

StarksWarehouse

Hey guys. since ive been on here i have kind of stuck to the replica costumes section, but moving over here for now as ive decided to have a go at sculpting.

I have previously made pepakura (which didnt get finished as i decided to move onto foam) and foam pepakura iron man suits, and suddenly decided to sculpt my own Iron Man helmet, and if that turns out ok, maybe even the full suit!

just a few questions first off.
1 - i have been looking at what clay would be best to use for this sculpt and i am thinking of going for the Chavant NSP medium, would this be a good choice, or would another clay be more suitable?

2 - should i make a head cast of myself or the best fit? or just use a dummy head and build up with clay around that?

3- i have worked with other clays in the past, and can never seem to get a smooth finish on them for molding, whats the best way to get the smoothest finish on the clay before molding to save time after casting?

im sure i will think of more things to ask you all soon but for now i think thats it :)

thanks in advance people :)

Welcome to the sculpting side! Can't wait to see your progress.

I think NSP medium would be a good choice for a head sculpt. I have used the NSP soft and its dificult to get fine details in. The big plus about oil based clay, it doesn't dry out. You won't have to wrap it up at night, you can just drop the tools and hit the lights!

Head cast is nice, but takes more time and money. A foam dummy head will work buy it return it will take more clay. If you take time to measure and double check its possible to get a really nice fit with just a dummy head.

Isopropyl Alcohol is supposibly a miracle for smoothing out clay.

Thanks for the fast reply :)

Yeah that's what I thought about the clay, I originally thought about using WED clay, but as its a water/oil based cross between, and with me having no idea how long its going to take me to finish the sculpt, I figured I should go for the safer option :)

I know its not really very good for you, but I saw one guy on youtube make a head cast by just putting modroc straight onto his head. Could be the cheaper option though lol. Then maybe thicken the outside with more layers + plaster, then fill it will wall cavity expanding foam insulation to get the actual head cast.

Can the NSP be melted and poured also? Just for future reference (if I decide to make facial prosthetics etc.)

Sent from my BlackBerry 8900 using Tapatalk

A lifecast would be great to have for an IM sculpt. I would maybe start with the faceplate off and sculpt the rest so it looks right when the faceplate is open...

I have heard that it can be melted, but not positive. I believe it has to be done slowly to avoid "burning" the clay.

That's very true about having the faceplate open! I never even thought about that to be honest! :)

And if It ever comes to the point I need to melt it I'll just give it a try. :)

Not sure when I will be starting this project, as I have just come back off of a vacation and I am now veryyy low on funds! Lol but as soon as I start it, I'll update this thread :)

Just a quick bump, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much clay i would need to sculpt the helmet on a headcast of myself?

I can get it in blocks of 2lb so i wanted to make sure i ordered enough :) thanks again

The lifecast will cut down the amount of clay needed substancially. I think about 12 lbs would work for just the helmet sculpt. But having extra never hurts.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back