POTC cursed gold modelling/print/(& hopefully cast)

moom1881

So a friend of mine wanted to try casting in pewter and whilst coming up with things he could try I suggested the Pirates of the Caribbean coins. A quick search came up with a few existing models on Thingiverse and such but none were very detailed or especially accurate. Naturally I decided it would be better to start from scratch so I took some screencaps and got into it with Fusion360.

Whilst trying to find a clearer view of the 7 Aztec calender symbols around the central skull I eventually stumbled across the original makers blog here. There is pretty much everything one could need there - even the etching masks used when creating the originals. And with all that marvellous reference I scrapped what I'd just spent the last few hours working on and remade everything again.

So after an unnecessarily long and repetitive modelling session I've got this:
model front and back.jpg

(Putting all those grooves on the back was as tedious as you might imagine)

Still I'm happy it's pretty close to what I was aiming for:
ref front and back.jpg

Does anyone know if the orientation of the back of the coin is correct relative to the front in the above photos? There only seems to be one clear shot of the back in the film and then it's in a big chest full of coins so not much use to me orientation-wise. I know Magnoli Clothiers do a cast of a screen used coin but that has the skull on both sides and I've not found any others with both sides in my searches.

For some reason Chitubox keeps making a real mess of generating a file to print, there must be some stray vertices or something that it can't process because the preview looks fine but the print comes out looking like something from that room of Ripleys in Alien 4. I shall keep trying and post some pics of the physical coins when they successfully emerge from the grey gloop.

Yes, if you were to rotate that skull side along the y-axis, the back would look like the above orientation. We are actually planning on doing a run of one-sided skull versions as well, but it's always good to see new versions of these pieces!

Thanks for the info sir, I'll be looking out for that. I may just have to pick one up when I finally get round to buying the mkV11 satchel that I keep looking at on your site.

After several prints that looked like this:
IMG_20220813_222521.jpg

I reduced the print size to cut down on wastage and finally found an orientation that would successfully print. A quick spray of paint gave me this wee thing:
IMG_20220814_2143191.jpg

The skull still needs some work and the earrings(?) need more definition but it's alright for a first pass. I may do a version with more irregularities as it looks a bit crispy but as a casting buck I suppose that makes sense.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back