Photo visiting cards from John Wilkes Booth's diary from National Treasure, B...

ahoudini

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After buying Sarednab's great diary prop, I wanted to make the photo visiting cards (CDV's) of Booth's girlfriends in a slightly larger size than those provided with the diary. Here is what I did:

ugynahym.jpg

And the corresponding photo of the actual Booth diary and CDV's to show the correspondence in size:

ry5ega7u.jpg

The laser printouts of the high res photos from here:

http://boothiebarn.com/picture-galleries/found-on-booth/

were printed out at 40% scale, cut out and glued to white card stock cut to 2.5" x 4." (The proper size for visiting cards of this era, according to Wikipedia) i was surprised to learn that CDV's were made by gluing a thin paper photo to a card stock backing so this duplicates that process.

Weathering was done with ground chalk (mustard, brown, green and grey) and weathering inks (walnut and terra cotta) misted on. The corners were rounded to match each actual photo and the borders drawn on with grey marker for those CDV's that had them. The edges were darkened with brown marker and the whole thing sealed with Dull-Cote lacquer.

In retrospect, I should have weathered them a little less but I was trying to mute the contrast between the printed out photos and the card stock. I think it would be better to use ivory card stock to begin with and they would look a little more like the diary. Live and learn!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back