Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

You can pick them up online. If you go through the thread somewhere it's listed as to which model it is.

As far as mudflaps go, I don't think anyone is offering them. You might want to keep your eyes peeled on eBay. I still haven't found them either.

Droidboy - Those fiberglass casts look pretty good. Are you planning to sell any of those? Is the chrome/lens a direct swap from the other Delta Rays? The price of Super Rocket Rays (and almost everything else) is pretty ridiculous ...

I'm mainly watching for fenders and tires/wheels at the moment. I'm guessing most people aren't using CMC wheels and Lightning Dart tires (atleast not to ride regularly). What tire/wheel setups does everyone have that look close?

Duckbutt

I was able to pick up a set of Lightning Darts off ebay for $100 recently....and they came with a bike. So I'm pretty happy with that. They won't be riders but they will be on my bike when it's on display. I'm just using some stock wheels and tires from my local bike shop as riders. I'll try to take a pic later.

Lightning Darts were often found on Western Flyers....that is how I found mine.

As far as the casts go...yes, they will be available for $28 plus shipping.

Progun....yes....there are two mirrors. There is a 3" one and a 4" one. The 3" one is maybe $15 and the 4" one if you can find it is in the $60-70 range.

Updated pic of my bike

a5ypa5a8.jpg

Here is my haul so far with pic:
NOS compass (doesn't seem to work but oh well)
Grips
Streamers
Tank switches
Project box buttons (really just lights but the buttons wont function anyway)
PVC is for "aluminum" collar and the clamp if for my project box

IMG_3821.jpg

Ok, I need a few things if y'all can help please. I would like a tracing of the bottom of the rear fender box, a tracing of the backboard of the saddlebags, tracing of the three fins and a tracing of the side skirts. I can pay you for the paper and shipping if you like. I just need some size references. Thanks

I don't know that there are tracings. Everyone has just worked off the pictures found on the thread. I haven't even gotten that far yet so I'm no help.

One thing about this project is that I think it's going to be one where you'll find all of the information you need on this thread but very little of it will be in a "here ya go.....here is all of the hard work already done". I think the consensus is that in order to own this bike you have to prove your mettle and that you can put in the effort. Ive been on this board for like 15 years and no one is just handing me stuff either.

I'll try to answer any questions I have and if I have extra pieces I'm happy to share.

I know, I just figured if someone had an un-installed part they could just draw a line around it. I want mine to be correct and I know some of these guys have seen and gotten to measure the real thing. It's hard to tell scale from a pic sometimes. Thanks for the help so far for sure! I have the fab skills I just like to work off the correct dimensions where possible.

It's definitely a nice base. Although for the money I think I'd rather have the one I got from KansasJack.

Don't get me wrong though.....I so would have bought it.

Hello Abe (& the rest of the board),

I was the one who purchased the skull siren on Ebay. Seems like a perfect time to introduce myself. My name is Josh, I live in San Antonio, TX (remember the Alamo?), & thanks to all of you here I am now 100% committed to trying to build my own X1.

------------------ WARNING: EXCESSIVELY LONG POST AHEAD. SORRY --------------------

Things started out innocently enough for me Saturday afternoon when I decided I should buy a bike to get into better shape. I've always liked old school Schwinns, so I thought I would pick one up on Craigslist. It got me thinking "What model of bike did Pee-Wee have?", which lead to me Googling his bike & ending up here. 14 hours later (at 6am), I had read through all 73 pages of this thread. I've gone through it three times now. The first time was just "Wow!", the second time it was me heavily considering making the huge undertaking, & the third time it was to gather specific data (I have a ridiculous notepad file now). The sheer amount of inspiration on this thread is absolutely awe-inspiring. I sincerely thank each & every one of you who have forged the trail & who have been so unbelievably generous when it comes to sharing your time & information. It's so refreshing to see people who share the same passions being so willing to help each other out. As someone mentioned, "it's not a competition", so it is great to see so much support for each other. If it weren't for this thread, I seriously doubt I would have the courage to start this journey alone.

In the last several days, I have already acquired the following for my very own X1:

The aforementioned skull siren (hoping I can make it worth someone's while & get a cast of the lion head *wink wink*)
The Mesinger seat (complete with diamonds & debossed logo)
Donkey grips (7/8")
Vintage tassles for the grips (NOS)
Latches for the saddlebags (the ones from Amazon. Perfect match)
red/green indicator lights for the project box (12mm)
some good ol' fashioned Krylon dual (primer/paint), banner red (for the initial paintjob)
Mirrors (small one is accurate w/white reflector; larger one is inaccurate as it has no reflector; if anyone spots the correct 4" mirror anywhere, please hit me up)

Still debating whether or not I am going to do a movie accurate or somewhat idealized version of the bike (ie: replica vs tribute). From a personal perspective, my internal debate is mostly in regards to the chrome tape/popsicle sticks/wire issue. I realize that most people here are purists & want their bikes to be 100% movie accurate if possible. I completely get that, trust me. At this point, I'm leaning toward making the bike that it was "portrayed" as Pee-Wee having (every boy's dream bike) as opposed to the bike that we all now know he actually had by seeing the production bikes. I'm guessing in the end I will have a hybrid. Part screen accurate/part idealized (I'll probably end up using flexible automotive chrome strips as opposed to chrome tape, custom metal strips vs Popsicle sticks, clean mount vs wire on the spinning discs; you get the idea). Also, no gaffers tape (hah!). I'll definitely be trying to get the correct parts, as well as striving for authentic mounting of everything that makes sense to do that way. Depending on how far I get into this project financially, I may also end up buying the electric motor kit at some point. If anyone ever figures out the smoke issue, I really want to know how they accomplished it.

Currently my mindset is to get the correct parts in place first, then start attacking things one by one & see where the muse takes me. I am most excited about the proposition of sculpting the saddle bags, as it will be way outside my comfort zone. For some reason I really enjoy pushing myself in new ways, even if I have no idea how to accomplish my goal. I will definitely be reaching out to some of you individually for the few parts that have already been fabricated & people mentioned helping each other out on (for example the skirts & lion heads). Also, hoping that at some point down the road I can end up meeting up with some of the board in person. I noticed at least 3 people who are working on their own builds live in Austin (about an hour from me). It would be nice to get some inspiration first hand & be able to discuss specific problem-solving face-to-face. Definitely needs to culminate with a trip to the Alamo with a few X1s present.

Things I have my eyes on currently:

pre-war DX frame (not sure if I'm ready to pull the trigger on it since it isn't 100% the correct frame)
Repop DX tank (don't want to buy until I have my frame & can do proper measurements)
Persons majestic siren
Airguide Compass
Reich Dinosaur Bicycle Bell (correct style & button/wrong image; will probably end up hitting up Droidboy for a Mickey sticker if he is willing to part with one)
Car Chrome Styling Strip Trim Molding (for the saddlebags & frame skirt section; any better suggestions are appreciated)
Magna Atomic Wing silver mud flap (definitely the correct "feel", but not sure if I want to pull the trigger since it isn't the correct flap; would be very willing to pay someone to make a casting of the real one though *hint hint*)
oil spigot
Also, considering picking up a wet chrome kit to chrome/re-chrome parts with. May also end up using this technique for the "air vent" on the tank once I sculpt it out.

I got outbid on an auction for some Lightning Darts, though at the time I wasn't aware of the Indian head thing, so in the end it was a good that those slipped past me. To be honest, the whole wheel/tire discussion wore me out, so I may just throw some new whitewalls on it for the time being, then eventually do more research. Same goes for the sprocket/chain. I never knew how many variations there were, & I'm not sure if I want to bother with the multi-gear conversion. I've only ever dealt with single-speed bikes before, & I've never disassembled or rebuilt a bike before, so this whole "big adventure" is going to be new for me.

One of the only things that has eluded me are the pedals. I've seen mention of them being Union pedals, but they don't seem to match 100% to any I've found. I've studied the Hollywood bike closely, & I can't seem to place the exact model of them). I know they are the traditional brick style pedals, but the end details don't seem to match any of the ones I saw on Ebay at least (any brand). Anyone know the specifics? For instance, the H'Wood bike's pedals have a rounded end of the silver plate, while many of the common ones are squared off. Others online that I see have the rounded ends, but the rubber parts aren't deep enough. The silver part on the H'Wood bike does not extend to the end of the side of the pedals, & has a bit of rubber showing on each end. The majority of the pedals I've seen with the rounded silver parts end flushly at the end of the rubber. Hope that made sense.

More importantly, I am having to stop myself from pulling the trigger on several other items such as the springer forks, seat post, brackets etc since they will be directly contingent on the exact frame I end up getting, & if I'm lucky I'll end up with a bike that has those features anyway. I don't want to have to re-buy items when I find that I bought a piece that doesn't fit. I already jumped the gun on the handgrips & it may end up burning me. I bought 7/8" grips since most bicycle handlebars are that measurement, but based on recent handlebar recommendations they may not fit after all (since the Wald handlebars are 1"). Thankfully grips are one of the cheapest parts of the entire build, so lesson learned cheaply. I'm just so psyched up right now that I want to buy everything now.

I also noticed from looking at a staggeringly large number of DXs that there are several frame variances between the years. The biggest one that bothers me is that the pre-war DX frames don't have as much "wiggle room" between the frame & the front fender as the later years do. If I am trying to match as closely as possible, I want to stay away from a pre-war frame. The only down side there is that I only see pre-war ones on Ebay right now, & I've scoured Craigslist & the like for a 50s model to no avail. I've even checked the recommended ratrods forum & thecabe, but no one seems to have the exact right frame for sale. Now that I'm officially in the beginning stages of the build, it drives me crazy that I don't have the most important part lined up yet. Once I score a frame, I will be in full swing. If my impatience kicks in, I may end up buying an older DX frame in the interim & then switching it out at some point down the line.

Speaking of down the line, I already even know the next bike build I am going to do AFTER the X1, which is ridiculous considering I have barely scratched the surface on this project. I am going to re-create the freestyle Hutch BMX bike I had as a kid, complete with all of the aftermarket goodies I added to it back in the day (found 90% of the parts on Ebay already). If they weren't so damn expensive (the frame can go for as much as $800 alone, & handlebars for about $200), I would have already laid down the money & started it simultaneously. At some point on the X1 build, I'm sure I will hit a wall (like most people seem to). The BMX build will be quick & dirty, so it may make sense to knock it out in a few months over the course of a weekend.

Sorry for rambling so long. Just excited as all get-out. Thanks again, everybody! You're helping the 9-year old me live a dream, whether you know it or not.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back