Painting with white paint

Tguy1701

Hi , I'm starting to get back into building models after a 40 year gap. "Back in the day", I used mostly testors paints and now getting used to using acrylics like Tamiya.
One thing I notice though is how thin paints like white are where I have to apply many coats.
Are there any suggestions on better ways of applying the paints rather than multiple coats or reduce the number of coats.
Right now, I'm painting by brush and I plan on getting a spray system before the end of the year.
Thanks,
Terry

Probably spraying a primer first is always good. They have either light gray, or white primers, which you can coat lightly, then go on with the Tamiya white. You could probably get away with only the two coats and have it look pretty good.

I love Tamiya fine white primer under every color. It goes on smooth and dries quickly. Also, I tend to stick with flat white. I think it tends to cover a little better or at least that's what i tell myself. If I need it glossy for the final product then I'll topcoat with a ridiculously glossy clear.

Welcome back to the hobby.

As recommended, white primer is a good start. I've started using Archive X paints and they are my new favorite paint. A bit expensive but great paint.

I use car primers, favourite brand is Hycote (UK)
Most models, I’d spray with it with grey primer, then with the white primer

FDA01343-7899-4F09-8C9A-948FE9B7CE12.jpeg
EC6E0EBA-A278-4884-8B62-695A39D31BE7.jpeg

J

Thanks for your suggestions. I did use grey primer from a rattle can, before applying the white. I'll try white primer next time.
And I'll try flat white to see if the coverage is better than the gloss.

Thanks for your suggestions. I did use grey primer from a rattle can, before applying the white. I'll try white primer next time.
And I'll try flat white to see if the coverage is better than the gloss.
...also, the good thing about the White (or even Black) primer, it can be buffed afterward, which gives it a sheen on the raised areas, I use that method on Bandai Stormtrooper armour & R2 units

If you want your model to be gloss, you could try using the matt white primer, which is a ultra fine layer, then when you are happy give it a coat of UV protected gloss varnish

John

There is also this to consider for brush painting instead of airbrush...

You mentioned using Tamiya paints and Testors

While paints like Tamiya can be brush painted they are very fickle when doing so in my opinion. They can be hard to apply in multiple layers as the thinner seems to dissolve the bottom layer unless you let each dry in between and even then the working time is very quick. The more you try pushing around paint the worse it gets. They really work best applied with an airbrush and then brush painting in small spot area touch-ups in my opinion.

Paint formulated specifically for miniature painting like Vallejo (the regular ones not the Model Air line), or Privateer Press P3, Reaper, or Army Painter etc... work best for brush painting in my opinion. The whites often also cover quite nicely in just one coat unless painting over dark primers like black.

If you have a dark primer, it is sometimes better to paint a layer of gray first, then white over top
Or if painting yellows, lay down an ochre or tan color fist, then the yellow

Same with the reds

Invest in an airbrush! It takes practice and lots of trial and error before it feels like a natural extension of your hand, but once it does, you can achieve some really really nice results.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back