paint solutions for painting iron man suit ?

LuciousFox

Hi guys I'm on a very cheap budget build of an iron man suit and was wondering if there was any budget ways to paint a whole suit.

Also can any one tell me how many spray cans you use and what size ?

Best regards
Brad

Hi guys I'm on a very cheap budget build of an iron man suit and was wondering if there was any budget ways to paint a whole suit.

Also can any one tell me how many spray cans you use and what size ?

Best regards
Brad

On a budget... I used approximately 6 cans of Plasti-dip, 3 cans of Krylon grey Primer, 3 cans of Krylon Matte Aluminum, 1 can of Brilliant Gold, and 3 cans of Banner Red for a Mk VII. On the Mk42 I built, I used the same of Plastidip and primer and Matte Aluminum, but only used 2 cans of Banner Red, 1/4 can of Brilliant gold, and 3 cans of Caramel Latte (also Krylon)

On a budget... I used approximately 6 cans of Plasti-dip, 3 cans of Krylon grey Primer, 3 cans of Krylon Matte Aluminum, 1 can of Brilliant Gold, and 3 cans of Banner Red for a Mk VII. On the Mk42 I built, I used the same of Plastidip and primer and Matte Aluminum, but only used 2 cans of Banner Red, 1/4 can of Brilliant gold, and 3 cans of Caramel Latte (also Krylon)

[url]http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s522/aksarben911/20130622_180937_zpsc48abeee.jpg[/URL]

Nice suit hlong did it take to make ?

So far I've done the cardboard helmet .
In 3 days no bondo

I used red plastidip as a base coat which ment I could get away with less automotive paint top coats...

Attachments

• 21134.jpg
    21134.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 253
Nice suit hlong did it take to make ?

So far I've done the cardboard helmet .
In 3 days no bondo

From beginning to end on the Mk42 I have 6 weeks into it, including foam build, fiberglass (entire suit is glassed on inside and epoxied on outside), paint and wiring. I probably worked 20 hours a week on it on average. The Halo armour that you see there on my kid took about 3 weeks (no fiberglass).

From beginning to end on the Mk42 I have 6 weeks into it, including foam build, fiberglass (entire suit is glassed on inside and epoxied on outside), paint and wiring. I probably worked 20 hours a week on it on average. The Halo armour that you see there on my kid took about 3 weeks (no fiberglass).

Nice I've got till 9th September and im only fibreglassing the helmet but im doing a full card board build with lights

Nice I've got till 9th September and im only fibreglassing the helmet but im doing a full card board build with lights

Just my 2 bits, but, If you are only using cardboard and not doing any glassing on the inside, you might want to at least reinforce it with some cloth and hot clue or some duct tape; just to keep it from coming apart as you are walking. Also, check Jackie's thread on the Mk42 to look at my knees (page 67) as it's a proven knee design that I came up with. Ironmaiden also has a nice knee design. I'm not an expert, as I've only built 6 suits, but, I learn something knew each and every time!

Just my 2 bits, but, If you are only using cardboard and not doing any glassing on the inside, you might want to at least reinforce it with some cloth and hot clue or some duct tape; just to keep it from coming apart as you are walking. Also, check Jackie's thread on the Mk42 to look at my knees (page 67) as it's a proven knee design that I came up with. Ironmaiden also has a nice knee design. I'm not an expert, as I've only built 6 suits, but, I learn something knew each and every time!

Thanks I will do that. I'm 5 foot 11 I was wondering how tall you are
And how do scale the chest ?

You seem to have a lot of questions, and are posting a lot of threads on the subject. Perhaps you should read through some of the threads already out there, since your questions have been asked and answered many times before.

I painted my whole suit for 25 bucks. I guess that's cheap

That's CRAZY cheap... Did you plasti-dip it, or just paint the foam?

For my builds I normally use these three...
5792497344_431c1bec88.jpg

Plasti-dip to seal the foam, Adhesive Promoter to help bond the final auto-paint (color of your choice). Each can usually runs about $7 each. Since I put several coats of Plasti-dip on my pieces and added a Clear Coat of Gloss for Plastics on top, I'd say I probably spent a over $100 on Mikey's IM suit (and that was scaled down for a 5yr old). :facepalm

Really quick... My little system goes something like:

ORIGINAL FOAM (that I created from a paper pep template)
8060909695_8c4fa90cbd.jpg

A few coats of Plasti-dip
8060900738_00a276614b.jpg

Adhesive promoter... and then the enamel paint of your choice
8060890491_b97a8bd274.jpg

Any distressing you want to add
8060807550_681ac72703.jpg

And then a clear-coat of gloss (for plastics)
8060783411_806e2b88d6.jpg

Really quick... My little system goes something like:

ORIGINAL FOAM (that I created from a paper pep template)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8318/8060909695_8c4fa90cbd.jpg

A few coats of Plasti-dip
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8171/8060900738_00a276614b.jpg

Adhesive promoter... and then the enamel paint of your choice
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8032/8060890491_b97a8bd274.jpg

Any distressing you want to add
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8032/8060807550_681ac72703.jpg

And then a clear-coat of gloss (for plastics)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8039/8060783411_806e2b88d6.jpg

wow thats good

im on like a £20 budget

may i ask how you sized your chest piece ?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back