Origins of the AA/SDS Armor

Good point oldken, well made.

Okay. I've exchanged some PMs with vaderdarth which have led me to this post (and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't agitated as I type this).

So that nobody thinks I have an agenda beyond the truth I rescind my previous request.

I had hoped to eliminate clutter by having his tangent hashed out in another thread. But apparently that somehow puts me in cahoots with the OTForum. (You can go over there and read my whopping two posts in total if you want to see the depth of my involvement there for yourself.)

And what folly to think that I could prevent an SDS thread from becoming the same old merry-go-round of rhetoric and logical fallacy

So, yes. By all means, discuss whatever it is you wanted to discuss about other replica suits. Knock yourselves out. I don't care.

I thought I had a say in a thread I started here. Seems not. So, you know. Just pretend I'm not here.

Seacrest out.

From what I have seen the only possible piece that could have come from original moulds are the shoulders. Does anyone have good pictures to compare the SDS shoulders to on screen shoulders? Are there any other parts that people believe might be original ANH on the SDS suit? Perhaps we should start a list of parts and create some sort of origin table.

CWR what you are suggesting is logical...

so therefore there is no place for it here. :p

JK

i would like to hear what Gino or paul thinks about this...

what parts do you guys think AA might actually have???

any???

surely he does,

i just dont see how ANYONE could believe or defend the idea of AA having an ENTIRE set of original moulds... or even an entire set of trooper armor... let alone ANH trooper armor.

and to me that should be enough right there, he says its ANH helmet and armor right??? well any TK enthusiast can tell you... that AINT ANH armor. maybe a few bits and pieces... and look at the legs... he should at least admit to having to make due and fabricate some things... at least.

Originally posted by CWR@Jan 5 2006, 05:04 PM
From what I have seen the only possible piece that could have come from original moulds are the shoulders.  Does anyone have good pictures to compare the SDS shoulders to on screen shoulders?  Are there any other parts that people believe might be original ANH on the SDS suit?  Perhaps we should start a list of parts and create some sort of origin table.
[snapback]1151498[/snapback]​

I think he did, at least in a note AA sent me and a few others here. I recall him saying he completely remade the belt, legs and something else...

Originally posted by oldken@Jan 5 2006, 01:09 PM
...and to me that should be enough right there, he says its ANH helmet and armor right???  well any TK enthusiast can tell you... that AINT ANH armor.  maybe a few bits and pieces... and look at the legs... he should at least admit to having to make due and fabricate some things... at least.

well shouldnt he say that to his customers and the public???

not just his friends?

i seem to remember hearing something like that, but interesting piece of info.

and know that im not an AA basher... just a TK enthusiast with a pretty good eye.

i would just like to know the truth, and like Gino said, it woulda been awesome if these things WERE exact replicas... they just arent.

GH,

Was that a public anouncement? If so is it possible to dig it up and and give us a link? I would like to know what AA has said regarding the origins.

-CWR

No it was a reply to a note I sent him a few months ago. I posted it in one of the recent AA threads as did someone else who got a similar note. I don't have it handy but will try to dig it up when I have some time.

Originally posted by CWR@Jan 5 2006, 01:21 PM
GH,

Was that a public anouncement?  If so is it possible to dig it up and and give us a link?  I would like to know what AA has said regarding the origins. 

-CWR
[snapback]1151523[/snapback]​

I think that pretty much puts the shoulder issue to rest. Now are there any other parts that could be original?

-CWR

Originally posted by oldken@Jan 5 2006, 03:36 PM
the lines seem softer and less defined, but other than that...
[snapback]1151540[/snapback]​

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original suits were not done in ABS, therefore the sharper detail?

To me, if stuff can be tinkered with, even as we speak, how can anything be proven? ANHTrooper's shoulderbell looks like that too. Does that mean it was cast off an original? NO.

yeah, we need interior pics to really prove/disprove anything... cause they are all trying to get the same look on the outside... just how they came about it with different moulds... thats where the tells are.

and seriously after GF and TEs points and thoughts... im pretty convinced, and those who arent are going to continue to be unconvinced regaurdless... oh well, i still find it an interesting topic to say the least.

Originally posted by clutch+Jan 5 2006, 05:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ Jan 5 2006, 05:40 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-oldken
@Jan 5 2006, 03:36 PM
the lines seem softer and less defined, but other than that...
[snapback]1151540[/snapback]​

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original suits were not done in ABS, therefore the sharper detail?

To me, if stuff can be tinkered with, even as we speak, how can anything be proven? ANHTrooper's shoulderbell looks like that too. Does that mean it was cast off an original? NO.
[snapback]1151548[/snapback]​
[/b]

The shoulders look really close. The above image certainly points towards that shoulder bell at least looking pretty spiffy. I agree it's a little soft though.

It would sort of make sense/explain why when SDS opened their doors to some...who was it? Some British chapter of the 501st or something? Anyway, at that time way back when he seemed to only have some pulls of the shoulders. It's likely the reason for this being that those are the only original moulds he had at the time (pure speculation on my part and it should be treated as such -- probably it was just a coincidence).

Anyway, I don't recall anyone posting any other components. Please correct me if I am wrong and there were more parts present.

As for what AA has said about the moulds, there's a couple posts in page 4 and 6 of this thread which contain emails AA sent to various members such as myself.

Cheers.
TJ

I am sure there is no way of proving anything without doubt, but so far the shoulders are the only thing that could potentially be ANH. If anyone can point out other potential ANH parts that would be great. I am not a fan of SDS, but I would like to understand what parts of his suit are possibly original ANH.

Clutch,

My TE shoulders also have this detail, but the overall shape of the shoulder is a bit different.

Backplate Comparison

Apologies to dialup users as what follows is a large pic. I want you to focus your attention on the almost star like look of the SDS cog compared to both the GF & original.

Originally posted by Clutch

Very true Clutch although the shoulder armour is one of the few pieces that hasn't altered since AA first publicised that he was producing armour.

You guys are doing really well debating the different parts and pieces of the armor as well as what might/might not be copied from other replica makers. However the one thing that has nagged me for a long time is that people keep saying the entire suit was "from the original molds." From what I can recall he never said that, but he said that there were original parts. I don't recall the emails he sent to people so maybe post them again?

Anyway, looking at his site, it doesn't at all say the suit is from the original molds, just the "original maker:"

S005 - ARMOUR - AT LAST – You can now own accurate replica Stormtrooper Armour – from the original maker.

Our new armour is an accurate replica of the armour we produced in 1976, only using todays more advanced production techniques and thermo-plastics. Made of acrylic capped ABS this rugged armour has been made not only to look great on a mannequin (not supplied) but also strong enough to withstand the rigours of costuming. The ABS matches the same colour hues of the original helmets as well as our own current range of Stormtrooper helmets so you can combine it with the Stunt, Hero or Battle-Spec range of helmets. Please note that white boots, blaster and black undersuit are not provided.

Comes ready-to-wear straight out of the box with a professional "popper" integrated strap system. We've also ensured there is enough of a tolerance in the armour such that it can accommodate various body dimensions with sizes typically varying from 5'6" to 6'2" with various builds. However as a modular design it can easily be adapted for people outside the core dimensions. Supplied with or without the battle-spec helmet this is a collectable you will want to wear.SO REPORT FOR DUTY TROOPER...

Lord Abaddon,

I went back and read the private replies that were sent by AA to a couple of members (I think they are on page 6 or 7 of this thread). In those responses AA indicates that all of the moulds are there.

-CWR

Originally posted by CWR@Jan 5 2006, 05:29 PM
Lord Abaddon,

I went back and read the private replies that were sent by AA to a couple of members (I think they are on page 6 or 7 of this thread).  In those responses AA indicates that all of the moulds are there.

-CWR
[snapback]1151595[/snapback]​

Thanks CWR, wasn't sure where they were. Yes he does seem to say that they are all there in his emails, but nothing about them on his site at all (unlike the helmets).

Originally posted by Lord Abaddon+Jan 5 2006, 04:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lord Abaddon @ Jan 5 2006, 04:35 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-CWR
@Jan 5 2006, 05:29 PM
Lord Abaddon,

I went back and read the private replies that were sent by AA to a couple of members (I think they are on page 6 or 7 of this thread).  In those responses AA indicates that all of the moulds are there.

-CWR
[snapback]1151595[/snapback]​

Thanks CWR, wasn't sure where they were. Yes he does seem to say that they are all there in his emails, but nothing about them on his site at all (unlike the helmets).
[snapback]1151602[/snapback]​
[/b]

[image]http://members.cox.net/gytheran/aa-promise.jpg[/image]

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back