ORCA scratch build

no Bus's for 2 day the 3 all at once, WIP form Yesterday
IMG_3467.JPG
New approach to smoke, much more reliable.
IMG_3468.JPG
IMG_3470.JPG
IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3475.JPG
IMG_3486.JPG
IMG_3487.JPG
changed the location on the steering servo this time. seams to work really well.

Seems like it would be easier to just build some styrofoam pieces into the hull to deal with accidental sinking risks.

Maybe make some removable foam inserts to occupy the front hold while the boat is being sailed on the water. But they would need to be secured well, or else you'd risk the Titanic's grand staircase issue if the boat ever started sinking (the buoyant wood tore off its mountings as the room filled with water).

This is probably an idea that needed to be built into the boat from the start. Maybe consider it for your future 1/6th build? I'm picturing two versions of the front hold. A realistic interior "tub" for static display, which can be removed in one piece, and a big piece of flotation foam that can be inserted (securely) in its place for when the boat is being sailed on water.

The front hold's foam volume might not be enough to keep the whole boat afloat. But it could buy some time if the boat is going down and you are scrambling to save it.

I guess that boat is gonna add up to be pretty heavy (at either size).

I've wondered if the real (1:1 scale) Orca's stability problems could have been improved with a lightened-up mast. A modern replica of the real boat could use aluminum tube or carbon fiber or something. Even just lightening the upper half of the mast alone would probably make a big difference.

Last edited:
Seems like it would be easier to just build some styrofoam pieces into the hull to deal with accidental sinking risks.

Maybe make some removable foam inserts to occupy the front hold while the boat is being sailed on the water. But they would need to be secured well, or else you'd risk the Titanic's grand staircase issue if the boat ever started sinking (the buoyant wood tore off its mountings as the room filled with water).

This is probably an idea that needed to be built into the boat from the start. Maybe consider it for your future 1/6th build? I'm picturing two versions of the front hold. A realistic interior "tub" for static display, which can be removed in one piece, and a big piece of flotation foam that can be inserted (securely) in its place for when the boat is being sailed on water.

The front hold's foam volume might not be enough to keep the whole boat afloat. But it could buy some time if the boat is going down and you are scrambling to save it.

I guess that boat is gonna add up to be pretty heavy (at either size).

I've wondered if the real (1:1 scale) Orca's stability problems could have been improved with a lightened-up mast. A modern replica of the real boat could use aluminum tube or carbon fiber or something. Even just lightening the upper half of the mast alone would probably make a big difference.
She's doing fine the way she's building the boat. Filmzy knows what she's doing. I doubt she'll have any leaks. The mast is an interesting part of both Orca 1 and 2. Orca 1 the mast was round and a real wooden mast off of an old Ywal. Orca 2's mast was an oval shape mast off of (are you ready?) a Hobbie Cat.

As the sub pump need to actually work for emergency sinking events. I actually had to make it practical, it’s so smallView attachment 1816226View attachment 1816227View attachment 1816228
So that's what that piece is on the stern??? I always thought it was a gas vent. I know from the movie during the 2nd barrel chase, one of the water pumps can be seen working that's mounted on the port side midship waterline.
You're going to have a working water pump?!?! Just too cool. Can't wait to see that work,.....or not work,....no sinking lol.

So that's what that piece is on the stern??? I always thought it was a gas vent. I know from the movie during the 2nd barrel chase, one of the water pumps can be seen working that's mounted on the port side midship waterline.
You're going to have a working water pump?!?! Just too cool. Can't wait to see that work,.....or not work,....no sinking lol.
I think the pump you are talking about is from the water cooling engine because it’s below the water line. I have a pump in version 1, it’s hooked up to a read switch so if any water did get inside it turn on. This one works the same. It’s not needed but better to have it.

I think the pump you are talking about is from the water cooling engine because it’s below the water line. I have a pump in version 1, it’s hooked up to a read switch so if any water did get inside it turn on. This one works the same. It’s not needed but better to have it.
Makes sense. With the epoxy resin applied like V1 you're not going to have any problems.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back