Options for hanging sword?

Jedi2016

Sr Member
I have a Marto Conan Atlantean sword I want to put up on the wall. At first I was thinking of getting a shadowbox for it, which do exist, but they can get kind of pricy.

I see a lot of cheap mounting plates on Amazon, similar in style to the stuff that comes with UC swords, etc, but obviously pretty cheap. I'm not sure I want to lean this way, just to keep things looking clean and not worrying about it falling off the wall (this particular sword is quite heavy, after all). Also, I don't think any of them have the posts far enough apart for this particular sword.

I was then thinking of just getting some drywall anchors and some kind of hook or post that I could just hang it directly on, so there would be no backplate of any kind. I kind of like the simplicity of this idea, but it seems that the hardware stores disagree with me.. Everything they have is geared towards either large hooks for hanging things down from, or tiny hooks for hanging pictures. Nothing so much in between, just making posts that stick out of the wall a couple inches. Obviously, I'll probably need to combine a few different kits to get something that works, that can be placed correctly, that can support the weight, and that won't potentially damage the sword itself.

Does anybody have any tips or experience in hanging heavy swords directly on the wall?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I went the super cheap and not really recommended way, but just put some screws in the wall and basically screwed the sword to the wall, but if I want to take it off, I have to unscrew it. Been there a few years, but someday it would be nice to have some kind of holder attached to the wall and the sword resting on that. Maybe some straps of some kind to still secure it.
1000013316.jpg

This us above my bathroom door, so people call it the death bathroom....as if its going to fall right as I'm going through it....thankfully hasn't happened....yet...
The long sword is just wedged up there, and the other is also screwed in.
1000013317.jpg

Nice.. gunsword of Damocles.. lol

Thanks for the tips. The anchors + L-hooks might be just what I need.
These all are from Final Fantasy. Top two from 7, and the gunblade from 8.
Some type of L- hook would work.
Hiw big/heavy is sword you are putting up?

It's about 7-8 pounds. Most of the drywall mounts I see are rated for 30+ pounds, so I'm not really worried about that now that I'm looking into it.

I went the super cheap and not really recommended way, but just put some screws in the wall and basically screwed the sword to the wall, but if I want to take it off, I have to unscrew it. Been there a few years, but someday it would be nice to have some kind of holder attached to the wall and the sword resting on that. Maybe some straps of some kind to still secure it.
View attachment 1786009
This us above my bathroom door, so people call it the death bathroom....as if its going to fall right as I'm going through it....thankfully hasn't happened....yet...
The long sword is just wedged up there, and the other is also screwed in.
View attachment 1786010
The long katana looks awesome!! Is it a movie / anime / manga prop?

The long katana looks awesome!! Is it a movie / anime / manga prop?
Sephiroth's Masamune from Final Fantasy 7, that originally came out in 1997.
Also featured in the film, Final Fantasy 7:Advent Children, as well as in the Kingdom Hearts games. A few other have featured him, and now there is a full remake of 7, with the 2nd part actually coming out next week.
1000013772.png

I usually use those spiral drywall anchors (not sure the name) that look like little tornadoes. Years ago someone on here told about how they mounted their FX lightsabers with those 3M command strip hooks and I tried that. Within a few weeks they fell down and ripped spots on the wall down to the drywall paper. Those things barely weigh anything, so I would not use those.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back