Opinion: Are Galaxy's Edge sabers (i.e., Luke ROTJ) good display pieces?

Of course you can do it, but I would definitely use other variants such as e.g. prefer roman props/KRsabers etc. because screen accuracy is important to me. Some of the Galaxy Edge Sabers seem cheap / toy-like, at least for someone who has an eye for them. Like so many things, it's in the eye of the beholder ;-)

I think they make great display pieces especially if price is a factor. That's not to say that Roman are not worth the cost as you are getting a quality build with quality materials. But IMHO, if you want a hilt for $160 (I think that is the current price for most hilts, there are exceptions) it is a good balance of cost, detail, quality especially if they are just going to sit on a shelf. The nice thing is that you do not have to spend the extra for a blade if you do not want to... or you save by sharing blades among multiple hilts. They make a better static hilt than they do an fx hilt. If you had a choice, between the GE and Black series, I would go black series as the lights and sounds are better. I don't do a lot of fx blades but I did get the Cal Kestis and LE Jedi Temple Guard Pike. But when given a choice, I went with the Black Series Rey and Clone Wars Ahsoka,

The only reason to compare would be if cost was not a factor, in which case the GE Legacy hilts will never win by comparison. But the priority of this line is the universal blade system functionality (which often requires compromises to accuracy) and relative affordability. The base price was less when the park opened, but I still think they're a bargain at the current cost. I also really like the crates the individual hilts come in.

They're getting pretty deep into the catalog, which has me hopeful that we're going to start seeing even more obscure offerings.

Depends on what you want. For me: most of them are good, some not. I have a few in my collection.

The pros: they are not bad quality. They have FX built in. The price is right.

Cons: Some are better than others. They try to be too many things so they don't really excel at any of them. They are static hilts, AND FX, AND weathered, AND idealized. So in the end they are not as accurate as a fan made static, not as strong an fx as a fan made fx, not as nice as a fan made idealized, and not as accurate as a fan made accurate.

The real question is: What do you want in your collection?

If you're building a screen accurate prop collection? No, they are not going to cut it compared to some of the fan made.

My own collection is more idealized, less screen accurate, and I actually like having a fx option (though its not necessary). Also price is a factor for me.

SO it comes down to which saber we're talking about. For ANH Obi wan, Romans was worth the money to me, it's much nicer. But for Windu, I couldn't ever find a decent fan made and the Galaxies edge was good enough. For Leia I didn't like the Galaxies edge so I signed up for a fan made run (still waiting on it).

The bottom line is: they are not a bad choice at all. It's not like anyone is going to look down on you for having them in your collection. But, depending on what exactly you are looking for, many fan made runs are going to do that thing better.

Just wondering what folks think about the Galaxy's Edge versus hilts offered by others here, like Roman, as a display piece.
With the exception of the Sideous, these are all GE Legacy Lightsabers. They work for my display purposes. I also have the Kal Kestis, Emperor Palpatine and Assaj waiting for their display stands to arrive.
tempImageqRaYvH.jpg

Just wondering what folks think about the Galaxy's Edge versus hilts offered by others here, like Roman, as a display piece.
For a display piece Romans wins by far. Just holding both a Galaxy's Edge and a Romans you can see and feel the difference immediately. Just one example of many inaccuracies is the red and green buttons on the Luke Skywalker ROTJ MOM sabers are flipped. Do a search and you'll find the issues with each saber they've produced. Get reviews from multiple sources as some conveniently leave out flaws. That way you can decide for yourself which version of whatever saber you'd like to purchase and be informed.

Galaxy's edge products especially sabers are not particularly well made often incorporating large amounts of cheap plastic and are generally not screen accurate. I wouldn't recommend spending money on them when there are so many alternatives that are far better made, using far better materials and much more screen accurate such as Romans. Romans is more expensive but you truly get what you pay for.

I have a Frankenstein collection, personally. Some hilts I don't care about as much and want a cheap option, so I'll go GE. Some hilts I want with some more bells and whistles, so I buy Hasbro Elite. Some I want perfect for static(sometimes I'll install electronics), so I buy fan-made.

I currently own GE(Dooku, Obi ep1, Cal Kestis, Darth Maul), Hasbro Force FX Elite(Darksaber, Kylo Ren, Sidious), Romans(Graflex, Vader V2, Obi ANH, Luke V4), Watto's Junkyard(Anakin ep2), and Phoenix Props(Ben Solo) hilts. I love them all for their own reasons.

I say, you collect for personal reasons, so choose what you buy for personal reasons.

I think it depends on the hilt. Some are quite oversized (Cal Kestis, Dooku) while others are totally serviceable. I'm less about FX, more about hilt display, so they work for my needs. These are all GE sabers in my display below.

I bought both the Legacy and Black Series Elite Kylo to compare them. No question the Black Series Elite had better electronics, but in terms of the hilt alone I preferred the Legacy by far, so that's what I kept. Meanwhile I currently also have a Legacy Rey saber, but am looking to swap that out to the Black Series.

One thing that bugs me about the Legacy sabers is that any saber that needs a switch in the top 1/3 of the hilt ends up getting a dumb switch placed elsewhere - you can see it on the Kenobi hilt in this pic. Leia, Sidious, and others suffer from this as well.

I'm also including a comparison of the upcoming Kenobi Legacy and Black Series sabers. I preordered the Legacy version, and I'm glad I did. It looks like the thin neck section and some of the clamp greeblies are more accurately colored on the Legacy when compared to the show prop.

BkZF1Yuh.jpg

Geo8sCzh.jpg

I think it depends on the hilt. Some are quite oversized (Cal Kestis, Dooku) while others are totally serviceable. I'm less about FX, more about hilt display, so they work for my needs. These are all GE sabers in my display below.

I bought both the Legacy and Black Series Elite Kylo to compare them. No question the Black Series Elite had better electronics, but in terms of the hilt alone I preferred the Legacy by far, so that's what I kept. Meanwhile I currently also have a Legacy Rey saber, but am looking to swap that out to the Black Series.

One thing that bugs me about the Legacy sabers is that any saber that needs a switch in the top 1/3 of the hilt ends up getting a dumb switch placed elsewhere - you can see it on the Kenobi hilt in this pic. Leia, Sidious, and others suffer from this as well.

I'm also including a comparison of the upcoming Kenobi Legacy and Black Series sabers. I preordered the Legacy version, and I'm glad I did. It looks like the thin neck section and some of the clamp greeblies are more accurately colored on the Legacy when compared to the show prop.
I don’t think the Cal is oversized especially when you consider the original owner was a Lasat and compair it to images with him wielding it. My main complaint was the way they did the grip so you could swap it with the damaged end or the connector to make it double ended Because it has a seam. I wasn’t sure I was going to buy it because of that but once I held it in my hand at the counter, I knew I was buying it. With the new game coming out and the trailer seems to show a new pommel, maybe Black Series will give it a go.

I think the biggest switch issue is with the Legacy Rey. It has that very ugliy switch in the upper part of the hilt instead of the activation of the ring like on the Black Series version. I have the BS Rey and I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
MJF,
Good to know b/c that is the one i ordered. I am just still thinking of the Obi-Wan Black Series one always comes down to details. I appreciate everyone sharing their insight and feedback on products.

At the park today, probably picking up a hilt for my collection, just as a display piece. Any particular recommendations? I'm not crazy for accuracy, but I prefer it when the price is right.

At the park today, probably picking up a hilt for my collection, just as a display piece. Any particular recommendations? I'm not crazy for accuracy, but I prefer it when the price is right.
I tend to like the ones that have not and probably will not get made in the Hasbro Elite Black Series line. So I have the LE Temple Guard Pike, Cal‘s Fallen Order, and Dooku’s Jedi hilt.

I tend to like the ones that have not and probably will not get made in the Hasbro Elite Black Series line. So I have the LE Temple Guard Pike, Cal‘s Fallen Order, and Dooku’s Jedi hilt.
I ended up getting Leia and Rey Skywalker. Leia was 30% off!
Both looked pretty close to correctly proportioned, unlike the dooku and qui-gon hilts I saw.

Short answer yes. But it really depends honestly on ur own budget and/or ur own personal attention to detail. Most people (even within this forum) wouldn’t be able to tell the difference as far as details go but again what are you after in your collection? Collecting ever version.. or simply collecting one as accurately as possible? If it’s the later I’d suggest saving up and getting the “one” your heart desires. If it’s the former then have at it! Either way u win.

Short answer yes. But it really depends honestly on ur own budget and/or ur own personal attention to detail. Most people (even within this forum) wouldn’t be able to tell the difference as far as details go but again what are you after in your collection? Collecting ever version.. or simply collecting one as accurately as possible? If it’s the later I’d suggest saving up and getting the “one” your heart desires. If it’s the former then have at it! Either way u win.
I'm not after each and every saber, but I like to get a piece I can display without looking too much like a toy for the ones I get. These legacy sabers fit pretty well, and I don't need every screw and notch to be screen accurate.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back