Oblivion - Jack Harper - Jacket and pants detail pattern template

Now that my first prototype is done, I'll share some pictures. I'm just testing out the patterns on the denim first. I'm also working on the rubber armor parts, it will be on the leather prototype. But I am just IN LOVE with this jacket, even if it's made of denim, I guess I'll wear it everywhere this year. :love

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

Kevin

Now that my first prototype is done, I'll share some pictures. I'm just testing out the patterns on the denim first. I'm also working on the rubber armor parts, it will be on the leather prototype. But I am just IN LOVE with this jacket, even if it's made of denim, I guess I'll wear it everywhere this year. :love

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/800065/Temp share/IMG_3195.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/800065/Temp share/IMG_3196.jpg

Kevin

That jacket looks AWESOME! It looks great in Denim! Now make me one. :lol

Last edited:
I believe the abdominal "arrows" should be straight on the bottom edge, and not have an additional angle there.
I'll post up my design template showing what I mean later.
That section took me forever to figure out until somebody shared
a good picture of the costume on display.

The rest of the jacket though... absolutely amazing!!

You are right about the "arrows." This is the first pattern before I went and saw the prop jacket display, so there are some places to change. We should compare notes.

This jacket took me a lot of time, and it will take more, so I'll have to know there's enough interests for a armored leather jacket. An interest list has been opened in the junkyard, please voice your interest there if you're interested in getting one. ;)

And a picture of the back side. :)
IMG_3192%20s.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, keep in mind this is just a "basic" pattern template that I came up with.

The overall chest armor and other details was derived by overlaying a picture of Jack from the film
and essentially tracing over that.

Some of the sizing details, like the shoulder armor/fabric ribbing is wrong, and was just a placeholder. I think the
back pattern and chest/abdomen details are pretty close.

basicjacketpatttern.jpg

One thing I noticed is the padded panel that goes over the tailbone actually hangs down slightly lower than the
front waistband does, and is angled on the L/R sides. It looks like there's a thin foam panel or some sort of padding
in there as well.

I ordered the Oblivion Leather jacket from Leathers Club a couple of months ago...when the prototype photos were posted. They explained that the production version would be much closer to the original. I placed the order on the stipulation that they would send pictures for approval before shipping. I was shocked to see how nicely they did. But their interpretation was a dark silver leather. I accepted the jacket, but the fit was poor...mostly my fault for not ordering a custom fit. When I inquired about how to resolve the issue, they explained that shipping (back to Pakistan I think) would be very costly. They were so kind to offer my a significant discount if I would place another order for another jacket. I decided to go ahead and make some changes to the design while I was at it...white leather and remove the padded blocks in the chest area. This jacket fits perfect and I am pleased. It just seems to be lacking without the "rubber" chest and shoulder armor. I tried to sell the silver one on Ebay, but no takers.
Leathers Club used my jackets as their advertising models on their site.
All that being said...your custom denim jacket is amazing!
If I can be of any assistance to anyone else here, let me know. I think the jacket I have is a great value (especially considering the price of a UD jacket), but it's not as nice as the custom work I've seen here! I'm wondering if my jacket could get some upgrades!

I thought I would post a couple of photos of the second jacket from Leathers Club.
As you will notice, I have distressed the jacket...honestly, I thought I ruined it, but the leather has been tough enough to survive the horrible abuse!
P9190102.JPGP9190103.JPG

Attachments

• P9190103.JPG
    P9190103.JPG
    849 KB · Views: 979
  • P9190102.JPG
    P9190102.JPG
    883.2 KB · Views: 510
Any update? I'm starting my jacket right now, I've purchased from ultimo fashions,it's the same like Wildheart's.
Now I'll be a better replica myself.
I'll send some picture working in progress I hope soon. Kevin please post some pictures of the armor in progress!!! :)

Wildheart, what method did you use to weather the jacket?

The overall design doesn't seem too bad. Much better than their
prototype was.

They worked with me to achieve the results. They impressed me with the first (silver) jacket, but the way they interpreted the jacket still needed tweeking. Since the jacket didn't fit, they offered me a discount to order a second jacket per my change requests.
I agree the jacket degrades from whitish to dark grey during the course of the movie, but it started off pretty white. My idea was to start with white leather and weather to my liking. I read plenty about distressing leather. I started with soaking the jacket in water and a run through the dryer. After stretching the leather back out a little, I started working areas with alcohol and a wire brush. Then I worked some black leather dye into the leather...and almost puked...I thought I ruined the jacket. But, thankfully after practically bathing the jacket in alcohol, a lot of the dye came out. After applying so much alcohol, it needed another bath. More pulling and stretching and we are happy again! Recently, I applied a light wash of acrylic stainless steel (I'll send new pics). And I'm working on chest armor, but I'm not sure how it's going to work out. If Kevin offers armor kits, I'll be very happy!

Leathers Club was very good about satisfying my requests. It's truly a custom made product. And this is a real motorcycle jacket...it has pockets in the liner to insert back, shoulder, and forearm armor pads which are included. Just make sure you are absolutely certain about your measurements! It costs as much to send the jacket back as it is to purchase another.

I'll post latest pictures of my white jacket as well as the silver. Anybody have suggestions for what to do with the silver jacket?

Looking forward to additional pictures.

Just wondering, could you do a "grey wash" on the silver jacket? To knock the metallic color down and get it closer?

Of course, without pics of the jacket in question, I'm just guessing. :)

Were you planning on making a template and adding the pattern to the vented sections?

Pics of the silver vs the white jacket.
P9300093.JPGP9300101.JPG

Notice the "pads" that are sewn into the chest on the silver jacket. I didn't like it. The white jacket doesn't have this padding.
I wished I had them leave out the padding on the tops of the shoulders as well.

P9300099.JPGP9300104.JPG

Notice the "ribbing" on the side of the jacket. Movie jacket is horizontal.

I like your idea about using a template on the perforated leather to get the "tet" pattern, but I don't think I'll take this jacket to that level. I would like to do something about the chest armor. Hopefully, Kevin will have the solution.
I have a motorcycle, so my goal was to have a new riding jacket. As soon as I saw the design, I loved it. The light color isn't as hot, and it's much better visibility (especially at night).

I am going to leave the silver jacket alone just in case it finds a new home. I'll let the future owner make mods to their satisfaction.

How does the back of your rendered jacket look? The model looks great!

My brother and I for Halloween. Both were custom made by me, the greek armor is based off of the character "Achilles" from the movie "Troy." Ive never posted here before but Ive followed some threads just to get the items for the Oblivion costume right. I know the gun isnt correct but I honestly had no time because of work and other time restraints. Anyway, hope you like my little project! :)

Good looking costumes! What did you use for the pants?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back