'Nimona' on Netflix

wayouteast

Sr Member
I watched this the other day, having been aware of an adaptation of the original web-comic/graphic novel for some time. The film has had a fairly rocky road to the screen. Originally made by Blue Sky, the company behind the Ice Age movies, it was 75% complete when it fell victim to the Disney take-over of 20th Century Fox, Disney closing down the company and cancelling the film. It was saved by Netflix, who acquired the rights and the existing material, and Annapurna, who completed it.

All I can say is, thank goodness it was saved. It's absolutely fantastic! It's very, very funny, heart-wrenchingly emotional at times, brilliantly voiced and simply gorgeously animated.

I won't go too much into the plot or the themes too much here - it's perhaps not the place - but I will say that it's wonderfully inclusive and conveys its core messages about 'othering', perception vs reality and the dangers of institutional 'programming' incredibly powerfully without ever becoming preachy or losing sight of its primary goal of entertaining the audience. I was hugely moved by it and it resonated strongly with some of my own experiences and feelings over the 67 years I've been around.

What's more pertinent on this forum is the world in which the action occurs, which is a beautifully imagined and realised 'futuristic medieval' city. Imagine 'Blade Runner' but with knights in armour. Flying cars and 'hover horses'. Laser crossbows. Energy swords. Skyscrapers that resemble castles, giant animated billboards towering over town-square markets. Ground-effect vehicles that look like carriages. Dank dungeons with energy force-fields on the bars... you get the picture.

All this looks absolutely gorgeous, and is animated and lit with enormous care and love. The tech manages to be funny, cool and (almost) believable all at once and perfectly suits the world itself. The many references to genre tropes are witty and nicely integrated and the soundtrack is awesome, using several laugh-out-loud songs at the perfect moments.

Anyway, I loved it. All the characters (especially the title character, voiced by Chloe Grace Moretz) pop and sparkle with life and are very relatable. The plot zips along, shifting tone seamlessly between chaotic mayhem and hearfelt introspection as required, and the whole thing has a fabulous energy about it. Even without the important underlying theme it's all great fun and well worth checking out. Add in the deeper, sometimes darker, aspects and it's simply incredible.

And I really want to make one of those laser crossbows!

Given the crazy roller coaster production history and how it turned out vs something like the Flash, I was impressed. Came out better than it probably should have. On the flipside of that, I felt like it lacked the energy of the stuff N Stevenson personally did for Netflix, but the voice acting and production design were really good.

Didn’t know anything about this at all, except what wayouteast had posted/shared above. Thank goodness he did.
I really, really enjoyed this film, from the brilliant humour (for both young and young at heart) scattered throughout the thought provoking dialogue, and themes which are so current and universal, but have existed...., well, forever honestly.
Whilst the animation is so beautifully & eclectically executed, and the chosen soundtrack fits like a glove, it’s the voice acting/casting that really brings all the ‘feels’ wonderfully together.
I give it a 9.9 out of 10. The 0.1 is always withheld cause nothing’s ever, perfect. Oh, and while the laser crossbows are cool, that vehicle that’s ‘liberated’ with a certain ‘kidnapped’ character in the trunk, is simply gorgeous and would make for an interesting scratch-build !

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back