New sculpt user,need some info

Bonoscot

Hey guys/gals

Im starting to look into sculpting after many years of admiring,i am from the UK,and i am looking for info.

I am interested in sculpting movie characters /scenes etc...At the moment though im not interested in moulding latex etc....i just want to sculpt figures (up to 20 inches) then place them in a glass/perspex display box....however im trying to get info on the best clay to use for this.....i dont want to spend weeks on a sculpt then finish it,then when added to display box it begins to crack.

so.

1.what is the best clay to use for this process ie keeping finished sculpts in display case without cracking as they get old

2.Depending on clay,can i use it over weeks/months and come back to it?

3.If needed to be oven heated,can i paint in with acrylic paints when finished,if i wanted to?

4.Theres so many clays,i did get info on one,Super sculpey,is it the best? for above? If so where can i buy within UK?

I really appreciate any help guys,getting kinda stuck on what clay to buy,as i dont want to keep it and have it cracking on me .

Nice work in here glad i signed up,getting some ideas as well

again Thanks for any info

I'd definately go with the Super Sculpey for this project. It won't crack on you, you can paint it with pretty much anything you want, and you can take as long as you want in the sculpting process.

I sculpt in Super Sculpey and I get on with it okay... some people feel it's too soft (hell, even I wish it was a bit firmer at times), others mix it with Sculpey Firm and find it's better and also takes away the translucency of the material. For the purposes of the sculpture becoming the finished article, it is probably the best choice.

If you bake it properly you should not be troubled with cracking. When painting it's best to use a primer first (I just use auto primer) or you may find that the acrylic can get knocked easily.

I get mine on ebay, but there are also some online art shops that sell it.... if you're lucky you might even be able to get it at a local art shop.

Al

Super sculpey firm-grey is the way to go. I have used loads of clays and sculpey extensively. Don't waste your time on regular Super Sculpey, it is way too soft and the translucency may look attractive at first, but it hides all the horrible mistakes you've made and then they all come out when you bake it. Also if you double bake sculpey it will become extremely hard and with a proper armature be very strong.

Super sculpey firm-grey is the way to go. I have used loads of clays and sculpey extensively. Don't waste your time on regular Super Sculpey, it is way too soft and the translucency may look attractive at first, but it hides all the horrible mistakes you've made and then they all come out when you bake it. Also if you double bake sculpey it will become extremely hard and with a proper armature be very strong.

I actually find the super firm sculpey to be almost completely unusable. It is way too firm for my taste. I guess it is possible that my clay is old or something because it is a bit flakey and almost crumbles when I try to work it. Regular sculpey is too soft on the other hand, so my recommendation is to mix the two.

I once saw an amazing portfolio where the artist used Roma Plastilina and painted the sculptures with acrylic paint. Now, they weren't permanent by any means, but they looked like finished make-up effects masks and creatures. I thought they were sculpted, cast and finished pieces until she told me they were painted plasticine. The reason she did this was to avoid the whole molding and casting process and produce more work for her portfolio. This is a bit off topic of your original question, but it's something to consider.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back