New in need of advice.

So i'm just getting started in the world of foam costume building. I watched all the tutorials and i tried to create the gauntlets from the movie thor. I modified the pepakura files as instructed in shadows tutorials and tried to build them and about 20% in some parts didn't fit correctly and it was angled really wrong and i managed to burn my fingers with the glue lol.

So i was just wondering if there is some Easy project just to get me started instead of just diving in to a harder one like i did.

My first use of foam was an entirely custom creation of my own. I built templates from cardboard based on some sketches and internet videos I saw, and just let my creative juices flow.
It gave me a good understanding of how the foam behaves, how to handle the glue, and what techniques worked best for me.

These lessons were learned on a project that I could modify along the way if I made minor errors. No guidelines for me to mess up, and no pressure to nail it perfectly.

Now I am working on my next project, which has my first pepakura piece (paper build) and will also have some foam elements. From past experiences, I am confident that if I choose to use a foam pep or freehand it, I'll be ok.

Maybe using a pep file as reference and just freehanding some stuff would help you? Anything with articulation points, like fingers, could be toughest.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back