Need suggestions/advice for making a CLAYFACE costume

paulv70

I've never seen this one done before but I'd like to add a BTAS Clayface costume to my Rogue's Gallery.

I'd like it to be about 7' tall so I could see out the mouth and about 5' wide. I've been thinking about building a chicken wire frame in two pieces (the legs and the torso/arms/head) then covering that with something but that's all I have so far.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Clayface1.gif

The main problem you'll face with that costume will be mobility / weight / stability.

I'd suggest looking into foam etc, and stilts, a little like Allen did with his Sasquatch costume.

Foam (to a certain extent) can be carved tom resemble clayface too.

I'm going back to this to see if I can get more inspired to do it. I'm assuming you guys are talking about the foam that's about 1"-2" thick and found in sheets in craft stores. I can see the construction but don't know how to coat it to make it look like clay. Brushing on some kind of liquid latex maybe?

I have no idea how you'd finish, but what about using an inflatable costume as a base? It would certainly cut down on the overall weight, and amount of foam you'd need.

Hulk Inflatable Costume -- Hulk Adult Costume

I can't wait to see your progress, no matter how you go about it. It'll probably be the first Clayface on here!

I think that foam would be a good base for it. Then using a liquid latex colored to match his color, when you spread it on, since he's a clay monster you wouldn't have to worry much about spreading it. Keep it gloopy. Also when you're done I would use some kind of clay colored powder, maybe actual powdered clay and dust the costume as its drying to keep it from being too shiny, though that's a preference thing

Instead of a foam undersuit, perhaps try building one using a couple of spandex thinsuits filled appropriately w/ polyfil microbeads. That might give you a better approximate movement for Clayface.

I wonder if you could somehow use a foam and wire base, and then heat shrink plastic to it, attach some sort of pump, and leaving excess plastic in folds along the front make it so that there is a constantly moving liquid inside it. Sort of emulate the dripping and constantly changing appearance he usually has. I can't imagine that it would take much liquid so long as the plastic was close enough to the foam, but it would probably be a really cool effect. Maybe with some of that heavy vinyl sheeting so that it's not to clear, and then you could dirty it up on the outside with some brown paint and such.

This one may look way more complicated, but I think the facial construction, and more "organic" build could be easier. I'm gonna try making one myself. Besides, it looks creepy... Could even call it Fearful.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back