NEED HELP!! Resin blaster kit priming major problems

Hi, I got a few resin blaster kits done in white resin, they feel very slick when you handle them, and so far none of the paints I have tried want to stay adhered, once they dry they just chip off.

First I tried fusion paint by krylon, supposedly for plastics, fantastic failure.

Next I tried a standard flat black aerosol, also failed.

I just tried rustoleum auto primer, and that didn't work either.

In all 3 cases the paint chips off VERY easily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scuffing them up with sand paper is not a viable option because all of the nooks and cranies, is there a sollution I can soak them in that will allow paint to grip?

Or is there some paint I haven't tried yet that works well?

I assume you washed them in mild detergent before applying the paint? You could also try wiping them down with alcohol.

Steel wool might be an option for roughing up the surface.

My $0.02

I usually just use Dawn dish detergent. Probably anything that says it will remove grease. That's usually what will cause paint not to stick. After that if the problem persists it could be a bad batch of resin, or possibly incorrectly mixed resin. To add to the latter, was the resin "sweating" when you were working on it?

No it wasn't sweating, it just looked really glossy, maybe I didn't have enough detergent, or didn't let it soak long enough.

I am going to repeat step 1 before I go any further.

If it persists, I have heard about self etching primers and epoxy primers, I will probably test them out.

It isn't clear whether you used primer previously, but you should always use primer on resin kits. Preferably the same brand primer that you plan to paint the kit with - less risk of a reaction between the brands.

You should find something called a plastic primer. It makes a stronger bond between the resin and the paint, especially on really smooth surfaces, since paint doesn't bond well to those by themselves.

Any pictures of what you are trying to paint?

I had the same problems with my Luke rotj saber and halo pistol. Both of them chipped easily when painted so I sanded them both down with some like 800 grit sandpaper or something around that, and the paint stuck fine after that so I'd just try to sand it as well as you can and then try to paint it again

The primers you mentioned suck. Try going to an auto parts store and get and get an automotive spraycan primer like Dupli-Color. You want to lightly dust the primer on, let it dry, dust another coat, etc. Don't apply it too heavily.

Of course, clean the resin thoroughly as mentioned above.

Ideally, the BEST primer I have used for difficult resins was Krylon Ruddy Brown primer, but they changed the formula. All of the Krylons with the tapered plastic cap are horrible. If you can find the "Industrial" or "Contractor Grade", those are the best! They still use the cylindrical plastic cap. Sherwin Williams stores still carry it, or you can order it through Grainger. If you do find the proper Ruddy Brown Primer, it adheres the best if applied as mentioned above, spray it very lightly, dusting it on, let it dry, repeat, etc.

Thanks man, I will head over to O riley tommorow, I gave everything another real good scrub and soak, so I will pick up some dupli color primer tomorrow.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back