NCC 7100 Stargazer - From Picard's Ready Room

The lower and upper hull and the nacelles will be vacuformed. The pylons and cross connecting piece to the nacelles and all of the detail greeblies will be resin.

As far as internal structure, I am playing around with some ideas. I want to keep it as lightweight as possible, so I was think about testing foam core or coraplast as an internal support structure. That will also keep the cost down.

Scott

Your masters match the studio reference well. What are your thoughts on the two larger pods underneath. The studio model shows one with some sort of cannon. I wonder if this was present on the 7100 as well.

I have limited vac forming experience but I see you are using negative molds. Can styrene preserve panel detail this way without extra air holes? This might be the solution I am looking for in another project.

Last edited:
It is the best solution for styrene medium. You will retain panel lines. Still not as sharp as injection mold, but not bad.

As far as the cannon, I do believe it was on the 7100 as well. I wish I could find it, but I did see a photo of the bottom of it and it did have the cannon on it as well.

Here is my version of it.

Scott

Maybe the end of the summer. It depends on when I can get the negative mold made of the bottom hull and when we finish the larger vacuform table.

Scott

I see that the last post to this thread was about a year ago. Has anything come of the original posters Stargazer build?

Scott, did you ever finish the 1:350 Stargazer vac kit?

No. I never finished the kit. I decided that because of the size, vacuform would not be the best option. The styrene would stretch too much and have thin spots and if I go with thicker plastic, I will loose detail.

I still need to mold the bottom master and mold the pylons. Other than that she is ready. I was think about doing a fiberglass kit. It would be a very limited run. I just don't know if anyone would be interested and I have never done a fiberglass kit.

Scott

What, you want to see another of my unfinished projects? This one is going slow.

In a nutshell, ProfKSergev shared the majority of the kit IDs. So of course I had to find all of those instead of bashing a close-enough rendition. I only recently found the last kit on the list and am still searching for the Super Deformed Bleu Gale Xabungle Robot for underneath.

My solution to reconcile the 7100 registry versus 2893 is now solved with a swappable panel.
photo-23.png

Nice trick, Nighteyes! There's still one part I haven't pegged yet. Not bothering with the Super Deformed nonsense glued to the ship's crotch, though.

What are you doing for your hulls, by the way, Nighteyes? I'm figuring some kind of armature will be necessary if I want to display this properly/safely. Feel free to chime back in on my thread. I can't return to the workbench till mid-August, but it'll be fun when I do!

Hi Nighteyes...I see you have done the same with the lower hull from the Enterprise kit...cutting it out down to the fifth ring and adding the extra B/C deck and sensor dome to that. That is a neat idea on how to change the ship numbers...and signed by one of the designers too.

Hi Professor...I'll be following your build-up on your Stargazer as well. Coolness! I'm following three build-ups of the Stargazer on this site. I agree about trying to finding the Xabungle Robot on the underside. They got it out of a 25 cent toy dispenser. Good luck if you do find something close.

Has anyone id the two parts on the warp nacelle crossovers? ProfKSergev has them highlighted in pink on the parts map picture in his build-up thread.

What are you doing for your hulls, by the way, Nighteyes? I'm figuring some kind of armature will be necessary if I want to display this properly/safely. Feel free to chime back in on my thread. I can't return to the workbench till mid-August, but it'll be fun when I do!

I'm not sure. A friend had milled out a piece of MDF for me tapered and all by the sucker is too heavy to be displayed like the original. I was debating asking for another, slightly smaller to use as a vaccuform buck.

I had the opportunity to meet Andy Probert at the Delorean car show last month and he explained Sternbach layered styrene to get the thickness of the hull. Unfortunately he could not recall exactly what shade of yellow it was painted.

Has anyone id the two parts on the warp nacelle crossovers? ProfKSergev has them highlighted in pink on the parts map picture in his build-up thread.

I am also curious about this, the detail parts behind the nacelle supports on the hull, and some smaller bits onthe back. A lot Valykries all come with the part that goes on top. Perhaps there is not another kit used, but a different Valkyrie kit with that same part and the others.

Do you mean The Orguss Orgroid? I saw he posted in your thread and looking at the kit, those parts are in there.

Has every last part been IDed?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back