Nail drill as rotary tool?

Arch1521

Not that I need it but Facebook Marketplace suggested a salon nail drill which has similar Dremel bits and the like. Anybody try or know if the nail drill is a suitable replacement as a rotary tool or to delicate to utilize?

I've been using a dental drill. Much better for intricate work. I've been using it for making Celtic love spoons and glass engraving. And the handle is pen shaped so easier to grip than a dremel.

Check for a Foredom rotary tool as it has several different handles you can use with different bit sizes. Traditionally used by jewelers and has a much better motor than a Dremel.

What barbarian drills into their fingernails???!!!

Actually it might work fine for model making.
One thing I'd look at is speed - how fast does the bit turn.
If the bit spins too fast it'll melt some plastics, like styrene or even acrylic.
Even some dremels are too fast. A speed control would be a plus.

Good advice...I was looking into a Foredom and I think that’s what made Facebook suggest the nail drill??? Thanks tho

I have a Black & Decker Dremel type tool and it's served me well over the years. It has variable speed control and it comes with a pen like attachment. It also uses Dremel bits but the main body can't use all of the same bit as the extension. Also, the extension tends to have less torque than the main tool so it will sort of jam up if the going, particularly when cutting, is a bit too hard or if you use too much pressure.

I don't buy Dremel anymore. They wear out and break too soon. I bought a cheaper brand, Rok, and it has lasted me 3 times as long so far.

TazMan2000

I borrowed my moms Dremel about 30 years ago and it still works fine.
I bought her a Black and Decker for a replacement a few yours ago.

By the late 90's Dremel's didn't last very long,
Had friend that went through 3 of them on just few months.

Nail drills (or e-files) can be great if you get a nicer one. The cheap ones have press-fit bits and they lack torque at slower speeds. Generally the speeds are infinitely adjustable from zero to the maximum RPM (which can go quite high).

So if you want one, look for one that has reviews mentioning good torque and make sure they have a locking collet (generally they twist one way to lock and the other way to unlock, different from screwing and unscrewing like a Dremel).

My next rotary tool is definitely going to be a Proxxon though, hands down.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back