My X-Files Alien Stiletto

Agreed. Nothing in the new video couldn't be done with a gravity assisted knife (which I never doubted you had made). I find it odd that in your follow up "proof" video, you still won't just show a conclusive, clear closeup shot of the spike in action. There are still too many oddities to convince me, but your snark and sarcasm from having a video politely questioned does convince me you're not worth interacting with.

Last edited:
Agreed. Nothing in the new video couldn't be done with a gravity assisted knife (which I never doubted you had made). I find it odd that in your follow up "proof" video, you still won't just show a conclusive, clear closeup shot of the spike in action. There are still too many oddities still to convince me, but your snark and sarcasm from having a video politely challenged does convince me you're not worth interacting with.
LOL... the best defense is a good offense. Ever hear of that one? It's perfectly applicable to what you just wrote.

After clearly refuting the CGI 3D spike wobble-nobble/jerk/failed-motion-track theory, now you are absolutely positively convinced it is a gravity mechanism.

Are you strongly convinced just like you were convinced that it was CGI? This is an important question, and I kindly say that you should think hard about this one.

Since you speak of politeness, you should have said "I was wrong. It may be a gravity mechanism, but you certainly have managed to refute my motion-track theory."

This would have been the polite thing to do, but instead, you attack my character. Show me where I have offended you in my posts that you have suddenly decided I am not worth "interacting" with. I told you earlier, quote, that "I swear on my life" that there is no CGI in my video, and you have dismissed it. Now you are the one who is offended?

In any case, I am now more confused than ever. Are you still asserting I used CGI in that original shot? Why would I do that if I have a working gravity mechanism? What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, I did say that such wobble could be generated my video artifacts as well.

Yes, but the essence of your post was to discredit, looking for every single pixel that might look odd. That's the impression I got, in all honesty.

I realize that this plays into your some-people-will-never-be-satisfied-intimation, but why did you start the new video by quickly moving your arm into frame like that? The spike seems to begin extracting exactly when your arm stops, suggesting (to the skeptical) that it's inertia doing the work and not a spring. Then when you retract, you have it turned up, suggesting that gravity (again, in the eyes of a skeptic) is doing the work.

Because I have recreated the exact same shot you and killrmonkey have determined to be indicative of CGI, the most problematic shot in the entire video. The biggest issues were "wobble" at 00:24 and "jerk" at 00:27. It was the "motion-tracking" not following my hand when turning it from a horizontal position into the vertical.

I can (more or less) replicate that effect with the plastic replica I made, albeit not as smoothly since my aluminum spike is too lightweight to have enough inertia for smooth motion and it "catches" on the plastic. Making a "stopping catch" to keep the spike from falling back into the handle would not be too difficult.

I think that you are clearly underestimating even a gravity prop. My first X-Files Stiletto was a gravity prop, no spring(s) at all, so I know what I'm talking about. A regular knife is different, but you will have difficulties making it work with a round rod, to lock open AND closed. There are no grooves on the awl like in the guardfather spike, and if you are using a sear bar with two sears (which you pretty much have to), you will have difficulty making the top sear lift up high enough to allow the blade to travel freely.

Furthermore, as you can see on my prop, you don't see a pivot pin anywhere.

So, you are understimating the difficulty. If you ever decide to work on this prop and figure out all the possibilities, you will conclude that it is easier to make a guardfather mechanism where you have to cock it (reset) the spike against a table for every next "hero shot".

Why not simply hold the entire prop in frame, still and upright, extend the spike with no arm movements, tear the paper, turn the prop upside down and then retract the spike upwards without a lot of unnecessary motions?

This is known as a complex question because it contains presuppositions. The first part of my answer is the same thing I said above - I was refuting a CGI claim in what was pointed out as the most troublesome (suspicious) shot in the entire video. The second part of my answer is: You presuppose that a knife which to the eye acts as dual/double-action unit MUST under all circumstances be a classic "NATO" mechanism. You ignore the fact that spring-assisted gravity knives may look to the eye the same as a NATO mechanism, yet, they cannot retact when you point the blade to the floor.

To use a really awful pun (sorry)... I want to believe... but it's difficult to no be Scully when this new video feels like it contains more attempts at obfuscation.

This prop has been such a "holy grail" for many, attempted and talked about so many times that it's natural for people to be skeptical and (perhaps overly) scrutinize new attempts at making it reality.

But if you have indeed managed to replicate it with functional automatic extend-and-retract, then I sincerely salute your skill and praise you for achieving something that many have attempted and failed at.

To be honest, I have problems understanding what you are asserting. I get the picture, and it is to "discredit", but I don't get the specifics of it, so my questions to you are as follows:

Is it a gravity mechanism or is it CGI?

Am I using CGI in the original shot, and in this new one I'm using a gravity mechanism?

If the answer to the above question is a "yes", then then why did I use CGI in the first video when I could've done the same thing as in the new video?

Do you now have a new theory that every other shot in the video is CGI except this one?

Why are you, and killrmonkey, completely ignoring many of the things I have pointed out, including but not limited to:

"Why is it a push button and not a sliding button?" is a valid question ... "Since we don't see it retract when pointing down, it might be some form of spring-assisted gravity device instead of a classic double/dual action" is also a valid point ... "Automatic knives are illegal where he lives and therefore he might simply be very careful with his video presentation as well as his explanations" is a valid point.

No hard feelings though. I do not wish to offend anyone either, unlike killrmonkey. With you I do not have a problem, however skeptical you may be. I do have problems with people like killrmonkey, who, after being debunked in their claims of that particular shot being CGI, tell me I am not worth interacting with.

Either way, as we're discussing this, do you mind posting pictures of your plastic stiletto prop? I'm always enjoying to see all versions of such a prop, even static ones.

After clearly refuting the CGI 3D spike wobble-nobble/jerk/failed-motion-track theory, now you are absolutely positively convinced it is a gravity mechanism.

Are you strongly convinced just like you were convinced that it was CGI? This is an important question, and I kindly say that you should think hard about this one.

I don't know if you're actually replying to me or to Killrmonkey, but for my part a least, I was clearly open to the movement artifacts being due to compression and other technical glitches. I also noted that I believe that at least one shot shows a real, "complete" gimlet.

Whether or not some of the shots contain some cg visual effects or if they were all done with only practical trickery using gravity and perhaps a one-way spring-loaded spike (which I concede is entirely possible after subsequent viewings of the video), your behavior in the way you are answering these challenges in addition to the way the video is cut and filmed, gives the impression that you are trying to confuse and/or trick people. (I'm not saying that you really are doing so but that your actions are giving off that impression. ) If your fully working gimlet can't retract while pointing down, then maybe laying it on it's side would have been enough, perhaps making sure that you show the button being pushed without obscuring it with your hand. (Just a suggestion.)

Again, if everything is on the up-and-up and you have indeed constructed a working and fully retracting/extending gimlet (by way of only pressing a button for both actions), my hat is off to you with congratulations.

I'll see if I can dig up a couple shots of my gimlet. (I based it off the pneumatically activated one that propstore had.)

I don't know if you're actually replying to me or to Killrmonkey...

What you are replying to is actually my reply to killrmonkey. It should be clear based on the quotes. ;)

Killrmonkey is the guy who now refuses to speak, and not because his claim of motion-tracking causing a "wobble-effect" in that shot was refuted by my second video, but rather because I am not worth interacting with. This is strange, because he finds the discussion worthless yet continues to read the thread, and "likes" your post.

Whether or not some of the shots contain some cg visual effects or if they were all done with only practical trickery using gravity and perhaps a one-way spring-loaded spike (which I concede is entirely possible after subsequent viewings of the video), your behavior in the way you are answering these challenges in addition to the way the video is cut and filmed, gives the impression that you are trying to confuse and/or trick people.

Or, it might give the impression that I cannot show certain specific things for certain reasons having nothing to do with limitations of a mechanism. I keep pasting certain things, over and over again, pointing out bolded parts, even quoting myself in new posts, but you do not wish to read between the lines. Although you may think that what I'm about to say is humorous (or you may not), the second unlisted video I posted in this public thread is already "almost" too much. If you have further inquiries you can ask me through private message.

The fact of the matter is, I created a video where I show the gimlet acting how it is supposed to act, yet doing no damage to anything physical. Although this may sound like bragging, but there is also one element in my video that is superior to the show's version. The gimlet(s) on the show NEVER opened with the handle fully visible, not in one single episode, and that's because they were concealing an air hose inside the actor's sleeve. In my video, I can do it with the handle visible or not visible, it is completely irrelevant... and there is no CGI, not one pixel of it.

So, after posting such a video on the RPF, video expert "killrmonkey" shows up, nitpicking 00:24 and basically abusing this half-a-second long moment where it looks like a wobble. Then you show up, and say that in the same shot, a few seconds later (00:27) there is also another problem. In response to both of you I recreate the exact shot, even having the same clothes and making the exact same movements... completely debunking the CGI nonsense, and then killrmonkey's reply is that because of my behavior he does not wish to "interact" with me further. I am not angry at him for attempting to discredit me in a public thread, yet he is mad at me because of my "sarcasm"?

How is this an honest discussion where you (in this case killrmonkey) can't admit you were wrong? He didn't have to say he believes everything else in the video, but he could've publically admitted that his CGI claim in regards to that particular shot was clearly refuted. That's the way I personally see it, but to each his own I suppose.

Again, if everything is on the up-and-up and you have indeed constructed a working and fully retracting/extending gimlet (by way of only pressing a button for both actions), my hat is off to you with congratulations.

Well, to be fully honest, I think either way you slice it or dice it, anyone who respects this prop should have his hat off to this video in general. What you see in the video is how the "alien weapon" behaves on the series. Through whatever method(s) the scenes were created, and whatever mechanism(s) is/are being used, none of these methods can be called easy... and "CGI" is certainly a very difficult method (but again, it is not CGI).

Another thing I wish to point out is you referring to me mentioning one video leading to another. How can you say that's not the case though? After what I've done, more is requested. Do you really think that if I were to post a third video, everyone would be satisfied? If you think so, then you are unfamiliar with similar situations. Theoretically, you can fake the gimlet with visual FX but WITHOUT a CGI blade. If you have a pneumatic unit, using a bright green airhose and filming everything in a well lit room, paying attention to the background as well as shadows, then removing the green airhose by chroma keying. Point being: Something popping out of something and going back inside is not impossible to fake.

And yet again I wish to refer to a long-time RPF member whom I became great friends with beginning of this year, who contacted me about the stiletto when I didn't even have a video of it uploaded. It is him and only him I helped create an almost identical prop. His name is Brian Terranova and he posts on this forum under "Terrasolo". That being said, there are X-Files fans who have held my props in their own hands and saw there is no CGI. I already pointed this out earlier in the thread, but of course to people like killrmonkey, I am a liar, as no one could have possibly seen my prop live, because the "wobble" means failed motion-tracking.

My personal mission regarding the X-Files alien stiletto has been accomplished. A long time ago, actually. All the e-mails (even prior to posting ANY video) from people who have found my website with pictures are that what truly matters to me. Personal experiences with fans who have handled the props and yes, EVEN Skype. For what it's worth, I also do have a pneumatic unit, and I also have several other ones. The only thing that's missing is the "Talitha Cumi" replica, which has a sliding button and a slightly different design (both handle and spike). I might get this machined some time in the future, but right now I am focused on some other props, including the "Eye of the Needle" stiletto. I will design this as a trick knife, with a dull point that can be used as a retractable for stabbing. That means any time the prop stabs someone/something, the "blade" will retract into the handle. Anyway, this is for another thread.

I have no motivation whatsoever to post further videos to people requesting "this" and "that", although I might show some things to some people in private, depending on what my personal instincts tell me. As someone in a private message said to me, I would be on a fool's errand if I were to seek everyone's validation in this thread. I will not reveal his username, but it is a highly respected member who has made tons of high quality props. Perhaps I have already wasted too much time writing so much text as it is.

If I ever get the Talitha Cumi prop machined, I do wish to recreate the entire scene where Mulder finds it hidden inside a lamp. That should be fun to do. However, this time I will definitely do it under some high quality lighting in order to avoid any "wobble" or similar "troublesome" moments. :D

I'll see if I can dig up a couple shots of my gimlet. (I based it off the pneumatically activated one that propstore had.)

Cool. I want to see them. Also a shame about killrmonkey, as I thought he was a cool guy, until his (for me completely unexpected) reaction.

I also have a day job... and it's 04:58 AM here in Germany right now. Blah.

Killrmonkey is the guy who now refuses to speak, and not because his claim of motion-tracking causing a "wobble-effect" in that shot was refuted by my second video, but rather because I am not worth interacting with. This is strange, because he finds the discussion worthless yet continues to read the thread, and "likes" your post.

I'm not refusing to speak, I just don't see the point in continuing to argue past one another. Why should I continue interacting in this discussion when you haven't engaged with anything I've said; instead reacting with evasiveness, sarcasm, and aggressiveness. Although I challenged parts of your first video, I repeatedly said that no matter what, I thought it was a really cool prop and I told you in PM I meant nothing personal or any disrespect. I limited my critiques to the video without personally mocking or attacking you; I can't say the same about your response to them. Have I written anything as disrespectful as your "LOL" in your 2nd video description?

So, after posting such a video on the RPF, video expert "killrmonkey" shows up, nitpicking 00:24 and basically abusing this half-a-second long moment where it looks like a wobble. Then you show up, and say that in the same shot, a few seconds later (00:27) there is also another problem. In response to both of you I recreate the exact shot, even having the same clothes and making the exact same movements... completely debunking the CGI nonsense, and then killrmonkey's reply is that because of my behavior he does not wish to "interact" with me further. I am not angry at him for attempting to discredit me in a public thread, yet he is mad at me because of my "sarcasm"?

It's not the same movement though. As Joatrash has pointed out, in the new video it looks like the inertia from your arm could be what's opening the stiletto. If you really wanted to "debunk" any CGI claims, you'd stop with the theatricality and just show a simple close-up video of the knife opening pointed upwards and then closing under it's own power. And you aptly demonstrate in one sentence why I'm hesitant to interact with you further - with sarcastic references to "video expert", "nitpicking", "abusing", and "nonsense".

Am I using CGI in the original shot, and in this new one I'm using a gravity mechanism?

If the answer to the above question is a "yes", then then why did I use CGI in the first video when I could've done the same thing as in the new video?

Do you now have a new theory that every other shot in the video is CGI except this one?

Let me spell this out for you. As I said in post #25 days ago, I suspect you have a working gravity knife mechanism that can do SOME of what is in your video, but not all. As I said then, I suspect that at least the first deployment is legit. I doubt it can open pointed upwards, and almost certainly cannot retract while pointed downwards (which you've now basically admitted to). I think your first video was a more "theatrical" show off video of your stiletto, with added sounds and visual effects. You used CGI in the first video because you wanted to reproduce shots from the show that weren't possible with your mechanism.

In your new "debunking" (LOL) video, you deploy the spike while your arm is still moving (unlike the static deployment in your first video), allowing inertia to open the spike.

You have every right to be skeptical, and I have nothing against skepticism. After all, I created a video showing one of the most sought after X-Files props. It's just that you don't have anything serious to support your CGI claims. That's what I have a problem with.

I'm not sure how much more precise I can be. I'd only suggest anyone curious to watch the sections in question and judge for themselves whether it looks abnormal or not. I don't think there is any evidence I could present that would meet your level of "seriousness". I've never said 100% that it's CGI, just that those problem areas make me very skeptical. Your juggling videos do have a lot of interlacing artifacts as well, so I'll admit it's possible that the strange movement in your stiletto video is also a video artifact, but I still think that's less likely.

Oh my god, guys! So...

1. Drago posts a movie of a working Alien Stiletto.
2. There is sceptism that the spike is CGI and not real => So Drago only has a handle according to that theorie. No spike.
3. I suggest to make a video where the spike punctures a piece of paper tot show the spike actually is real.
4. Within a few hours, Drago posts this video.

So now you guys claim that Drago made a gravity based stiletto within the few hours between my request and he posting the vid? Because before that, he only had a handle, according to you guys, and the spike was CGI? Even if that's the case, I WANT ONE!!! :).

So what do you guys suggest as proof? That Drago shows the stiletto working in a Skype session or something like that?

The biggest issues were "wobble" at 00:24 and "jerk" at 00:27. It was the "motion-tracking" not following my hand when turning it from a horizontal position into the vertical.

I saw wobble in more places than that, often when you turned or tilted the prop, causing the bottom and top of the spike to become misaligned with the handle. But again.. key frames, video compression, video field errors and other things can cause similar artifacts.

I think that you are clearly underestimating even a gravity prop. My first X-Files ....

I'm not underestimating anything. I'm sorry, but you are going in circles. Why start bringing up other versions of the prop? A steel spike would be heavy enough to move like it does in the second video- especially if you add a small weigh to is inside the handle. As i said, my plastic version (with an aluminum spike made out of a tent-hook) can do it but it's so light that I have to really put effort into it.) A little spring-steel "stopper" just inside the exit hole, connected to the button could be used to stop it.

To be honest, I have problems understanding what you are asserting.
And to be honest in return, following your explanation of things is hard because you keep jumping back and forth between topics, questions and mentioning different versions of your prop. Instead of addressing each point succinctly, you go off on tangents like mentioning how people have held the item in real life and sent you PMs, when that does nothing to prove your validity. (I could claim that I got several PMs telling me that they have held your prop and told me that it's definitely fake but that would be no more than hearsay, just as your similar claims are.)

In the first video? I don't know for certain. I suspect that it might be a couple different physical props (maybe one single-action spring loaded and one that works with gravity) that could have been aided by CG inserts.

In the second video it looks like a physical prop that works with gravity/inertia. I suspect (but obviously can't prove) that it works by holding down the button to keep the spike from moving. (It looks a bit like you press the button after the spike is fully extended and you keep your thumb there the entire time, then release pressure so that the spike falls into the handle. Such a function would be very easy to do.)

Why are you, and killrmonkey, completely ignoring many of the things I have pointed out, including but not limited to:
Many of the things you state in your responses skirt around or ignore the main question folks are wondering about:

Have you made a functional, double-action gimlet that can extend and retract without the aid of gravity, pneumatics, hand-movements and/or any other trickery? Or, to put it in another way- have you made a replica that functions the way the FX artists on the show wanted us to believe?

If you answer "yes", then you will have to prove it if you want people to believe it at this point. If you answer "no", then the discussion need not go any further.

(You know... now that I think about it, I'm not sure you actually claimed clearly and openly that you made a fully functional double-action version, but you did allow people to think it when everyone assumed as much and you did refer to "one" gimlet in your first post, which does insinuate it.)

No hard feelings though.

Agreed.

Oh my god, guys! So...
So what do you guys suggest as proof? That Drago shows the stiletto working in a Skype session or something like that?

Agreed, the discussion has really gone a bit far. However, Drago is being cagey in his responses, writing at-length about things that don't directly answer what he seems to want us to think that he's made a fully working double-action gimlet. And the second video he posted did little to prove it, for reasons explained. So what if the first theory of CGI was wrong? It still looks like there are shenanigans happening in the videos. He was given a couple suggestions on how he could prove it after the second video.

Either way it's a lovely looking prop, static or not.

I'm leaning towards gravity actuated or whatever you guys call It. but it looks like somebody could right a theses paper on this thread...:lol

2. There is sceptism that the spike is CGI and not real => So Drago only has a handle according to that theorie. No spike.

So now you guys claim that Drago made a gravity based stiletto within the few hours between my request and he posting the vid? Because before that, he only had a handle, according to you guys, and the spike was CGI?

No, you misunderstand. I've never said the first video was ONLY CGI, just that certain movements look unnatural. That doesn't preclude certain shots being real, and I always assumed there was at least a static prop and a working gravity-assist mechanism (see post #25 where I say this long before his second video).

Even if that's the case, I WANT ONE!!! :).

Agreed! This is an awesome prop either way, it's a shame there is so much obfuscation about what it really is / what it can do.

- - - Updated - - -

(Honestly, I can't see that there's much more to discuss. He's either made a double-action gimlet or not and will hopefully give us a straight answer. If the answer is yes, he will either be able to prove it or he will not.)

:thumbsup

I saw wobble in more places than that, often when you turned or tilted the prop, causing the bottom and top of the spike to become misaligned with the handle. But again.. key frames, video compression, video field errors and other things can cause similar artifacts.

If the spike is connected to an internal guide which is guiding a spike, and if this internal guide is even 0.4mm smaller in diameter than the inside (0.2mm of "space" on each side), then it can most certainly cause a slight wobble when opening or closing, unless it is in a carriage and driven by springs operated by a NATO sliding button mechanism, preventing any wobble. Any slight wobble when opening or closing is more indicative of a physical spike than it is of CGI. This is fact. It's called physics, and it would be more visible when closing than opening. When the thing is opening or closing, the hand is still, and there is no reason for a CGI spike to wobble with a still hand. There could be other problems, but no wobble left or right.

I have no idea what wobble you are referring to which occurs "often" when I am turning the prop. I do not see it. I watched the video again. The one and only wobble that I think can be pointed out as a true wobble-effect is the one in the horizontal "problematic" shot. In all honesty, the ONLY significant parts are 00:24 and 00:27. I don't see any other wobble and firmly believe that the "often" wobbles you are referring to is simply a case exaggerating/nitpicking frames. I have a right to my opinion as you have a right to yours. When I claim that you are extremely exaggerating I don't think I am being offensive.

FWIW, the spike does not once, ever, come misaligned with the handle. It cannot become misaligned with the handle because it comes out of the hole, and retracts into the hole. I am glad that you do admit that video compression etc. can cause such issues... although again, I think the "issues" are being extremely exaggerated. I only see two, 00:24 and 00:27.

A slight spike-wobble with a still hand is not indicative of CGI, unless it's a NATO mechanism. The problem is that sometimes you presuppose some things, and then ask a complex question, just like when you asserted that a prop cannot work the way it works in the video because we don't see it retract when pointed down. This is not entirely true. You can have a powered open, gravity close, looking to the eye like a classic NATO.

I'm not underestimating anything. I'm sorry, but you are going in circles. Why start bringing up other versions of the prop?

I believe you are understimating even a gravity mechanism locking open and closed. If you are doing it with a sear bar and two sears, you will face issues. It is not AS simple as you may think. Yes, I am going in circles, to make you consider other possibilities aside from CGI. If you wish to firmly believe in the 3D CGI spike that behaves extraordinarily well aside from two (to some odd, to others insignificant) moment which last a total of 1 second, then go ahead. No harm done.

It does seem that not knowing how it works is the driving force behind the CGI claim. What I want to say is, the CGI "evidence" (00:24 and 00:27) isn't very convincing. It is not knowing how it works, and then using 00:24 and 00:27, or any oddity you can get your hands on, to attempt to discredit it.

A steel spike would be heavy enough to move like it does in the second video- especially if you add a small weigh to is inside the handle. As i said, my plastic version (with an aluminum spike made out of a tent-hook) can do it but it's so light that I have to really put effort into it.) A little spring-steel "stopper" just inside the exit hole, connected to the button could be used to stop it.

I'm not familiar with a spring-steel stopper. If you are referring to a classic see-saw mechanism, the prop would need to have a pivot pin. Do you see one in the video?

And to be honest in return, following your explanation of things is hard because you keep jumping back and forth between topics, questions and mentioning different versions of your prop. Instead of addressing each point succinctly, you go off on tangents like mentioning how people have held the item in real life and sent you PMs, when that does nothing to prove your validity. (I could claim that I got several PMs telling me that they have held your prop and told me that it's definitely fake but that would be no more than hearsay, just as your similar claims are.)

Me mentioning private messages and other events was not in an attempt to present any proof. I was simply "talking", just like you are talking. Your CGI insinuations aren't proof either. Each person makes up their own mind when looking at the whole picture, based on their knowledge of how 3D CGI functions, and their knowledge of physics, and/or mechanisms.

In the first video? I don't know for certain. I suspect that it might be a couple different physical props (maybe one single-action spring loaded and one that works with gravity) that could have been aided by CG inserts.

Ok. I think all of your points are valid points, except the CGI.

In the second video it looks like a physical prop that works with gravity/inertia. I suspect (but obviously can't prove) that it works by holding down the button to keep the spike from moving. (It looks a bit like you press the button after the spike is fully extended and you keep your thumb there the entire time, then release pressure so that the spike falls into the handle. Such a function would be very easy to do.)

It sounds funny though. It would mean that in the first deployment as you call it, the thing comes out at the push of a button, via "gravity". I am using prop "A" here. Now in the second video, I am supposedly pressing the button AFTER it has opened (?), and then I have to hold it pushed down. This would obviously be a second prop, we will call it "B". And in the very first shot where it neither opens or closes, this would be prop "A" again. I don't see a point there.

Many of the things you state in your responses skirt around or ignore the main question folks are wondering about:

The folks you are referring to are a very small minority, currently three people. All I ask is that you do not present the "folks" as an entire community who is screaming "CGI". This couldn't be further from the truth. No offense.

Have you made a functional, double-action gimlet that can extend and retract without the aid of gravity, pneumatics, hand-movements and/or any other trickery? Or, to put it in another way- have you made a replica that functions the way the FX artists on the show wanted us to believe?

Again, presuppositions. Functional must not mean double-action, and what appears as double-action to the eye must not mean that gravity can't be involved.

Maybe you don't "wish" to read between the lines because this makes it easier for you to discredit me. I will say this: If had an OTF (out-the-front) weapon, I would never directly say it on a public forum, and I would never post conclusive 100% beyond-a-doubt evidence that I have such a weapon. That's why the video is a fan video and not a demonstration of a weapon, where I open the "device" pointing up, pierce a cardboard, and close it. I live in a country where manufacturing an OTF weapon (you don't have to carry it, possessing is sufficient, keeping it in your basement) is punishable with huge fines as well as five years inprisonment. That's why I have a prop, not a weapon. That's why the video is theatrical, with shots replicated from the show. I could further elaborate and say lots of things about legalities and personal experiences, but then again, this would just be "hearsay".

On my website, which exists since early 2014, I do not have one sentence written which indicates I am in possession of a weapon. In fact, I only have pictures of a prop. The abbreviation OTF is never mentioned either.

Think about what I've done when posting on another public forum, a long time ago, referenced in the first page of this thread. I was talking about an early gravity mechanism prop and I specifically state that the spike cannot damage anything, and that it will retract when pushed against anything. Put two and two together. There is a reason I am saying over and over again that I do not have an OTF that can hurt someone. Take what I just said into consideration and then think why I said that the new video I posted is borderline risky.

I will answer your question as follows, however you may interpret it: I have a prop that can replicate all the opening/closing shots from The X-Files, and I do not need to use one pixel of CGI to accomplish it. At the same time, it is not a weapon.

If you answer "yes", then you will have to prove it if you want people to believe it at this point.

There is nothing I will have to do, because the people you refer to are less than 1%, and this is an insignificant number. My intention was never, ever, to convince every single skeptic of anything. This would be mission impossible.

If you answer "no", then the discussion need not go any further.

Your acknowledgment or your disbelief does not affect the existence of my prop. If people have started working on a gimlet I am willing to help and give some insight, if they have a mechanism that needs some fine tuning. That's why I wanted to see your prop. I will not send any detailed drawings or 3D files though.

(You know... now that I think about it, I'm not sure you actually claimed clearly and openly that you made a fully functional double-action version

You are correct. Actually I have said, many people compare the gimlet to the guardfather spike, but the guardfather spike is single-action, and this one is double-action. This is referring to how the gimlet is supposed to function, because many people just refer to it as a different looking guardfather, which is false. In this very same thread I also write, on the first page, that what I have cannot be used as a weapon in it's current state, unless it is tweaked. With this sentence I have said more than enough, to those who are willing to listen.

but you did allow people to think it when everyone assumed as much and you did refer to "one" gimlet in your first post, which does insinuate it.)

Not exactly. To those who are familiar with mechanisms, they know there can also be "one" prop that can be assembled, end caps changed, a part added or subtracted. It would be one prop, with the ability to be tweaked, depending on which functionality is desired. No need for CGI in order to have it act as double action to the eye.

The only thing I was irritated by is the CGI claim. If someone had written that he suspects each different shot having a different prop, or even an air hose that is removed through VFX in post production, I wouldn't have been irritated. It is just the CGI claim, because there is no CGI.

Either way it's a lovely looking prop, static or not.

Now I'm confused. After everything we've discussed, and established, and you see a physical object being affected by something that comes out of something, you say that I might have a static prop. I have no idea what's going on. You may be joking, or I am misunderstanding.

I do have an idea though. Perhaps literally everything in the video is fake, and what I'm holding in my hand is a 3D CGI handle, and the pictures on my site are photorealistic 3D renders. The tissue could also be CGI, with sound effects added. I have no prop whatsoever.

It seems killrmonkey took offense when I added the "lol" in parentheses in my second video. I apologized to him in private message, and he accepted.

The reason I added the "lol" was because I personally did find the motion-tracking claim funny, but also because I was irritated at the CGI claim in general. Reason being that we had a private discussion after his first claim in the thread, and then he returned to the thread afterwards to elaborate why he is convinced that it's CGI.

Just wanted to point that out here.

I've never said 100% that it's CGI, just that those problem areas make me very skeptical. Your juggling videos do have a lot of interlacing artifacts as well, so I'll admit it's possible that the strange movement in your stiletto video is also a video artifact, but I still think that's less likely.
Fair enough. I have to admit though, that I did get the impression that you were, at one point, absolutely 100% convinced it is CGI.

Maybe I misinterpreted your claims. At the end it's not that important.

Okay, now I actually AM getting very irritated. Not so much by the ramble remark as by the last part in the post basically calling me an idiot.

Wow. That has to be the longest ramble to try and avoid answering "no" I have ever seen.

I'm not on the O'Reilly factor or Sean Hannity's show that I need to answer "yes or no" style, especially when being asked questions with presuppositions. If you do not know that a PUSH button cannot drive a classic NATO mechanism then you have already demonstrated that you are completely unfamiliar with the basics of OTF blades.

I am also not being interrogated. If I have violated forum rules by not disclosing the workings of a prop, then I should be banned. But I believe I haven't violated a single rule.

If you are not satisfied with my answers then you might want to stop wasting time in this thread. I don't see a problem. You want respect, but when I point out that space around an internal guide can cause a wobble, pointing out simple physics, then I am rambling? God forbid if I had told you that you were rambling.

(Am I alone in getting an "advanced action suit" vibe from this thread?)

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I kindly request that you do not derail the thread. I take it that this remark is supposed to be humorous, attempting to make fun of me.

You know the one about glass houses and stones? Before continuing in your attempts at stand-up comedy, I should remind you that you are the one with a "plastic" stiletto, and one which most likely isn't even screen accurate.

And who it is exactly that you are asking this question, I have no clue. Probably the hundreds of people who are after me. Sigh.

Now I am ready for the moral lecture about showing respect. Go for it. After all, I am just "rambling".

Okay, now I actually AM getting very irritated. Not so much by the ramble remark as by the last part in the post basically calling me an idiot.
No one has called you an idiot. If my last response appeared snarky it was because my simple question was avoided and met with a wall of text that didn't go anywhere in what seemed to be an attempt to confuse and avoid the thing (I assume) most people following the thread would like to know.

But I believe I haven't violated a single rule.
If you are not satisfied with my answers then you might want to stop wasting time in this thread. I don't see a problem.

I don't think you've violated any rules either. However, your behavior in writing long agitated responses that circumvent what some of us are curious about serves only to strengthen the notion that you seemingly intended to (indirectly) fool everyone into believing that you had in fact succeeded in creating a functional Nato-style gimlet. If you've been following the X-Files threads around here you will know that an OTF-style gimlet has been something of a holy-grail of X-Files props (screen accuracy notwithstanding). Even if you didn't intend to do so, your responses are making it look like you did and that you can't handle the bluff being called.

God forbid if I had told you that you were rambling.
Be my guest. I do ramble on occasion, but it's mainly in the off-topic section.

Before continuing in your attempts at stand-up comedy, I should remind you that you are the one with a "plastic" stiletto, and one which most likely isn't even screen accurate.
Now who is making presuppositions?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back