My Witch King Cosplay WIP

Yeah, that's exactly it!

The pros are it goes on really easy, it sticks well and takes other colors over it very well. Here's a close up of the back. The middle part and 'line' details I did with model magic clay from crayola... it sticks like glue to foam!

sauronhelmet2.jpg

I guess the cons would be that it's pretty uniform in the way it sprays on and will be pebbly if you don't press it some - maybe even sand it once it's dry? I forget. Also, it isn't going to last forever. I just realized when I took these photos for you that it's cracking! I sprayed this foam in 2004. I guess if I used black or gray instead of blue it might look cool. haha! Live and learn.

sauronhelmet3.jpg:original

I love seeing how other folks build. I went the old fashion route and made mine out of metal :)
For anyone looking for a pattern, don't over-complicate a simple helm. It only needs 2 pieces. The nose/spike and the wrap/wings.

Thanks J EM :)

@Sothoth: I would love to make things in real metal, but I don't have the resources for such an endeavor, maybe some day I will :)
BTW where can we see your costume completed?

Thanks!

It's really not bad at all, around 2 pounds maybe? I still haven't put the crown on it though and that will certainly add at least one more pound. It's very comfortable to wear though.

Unfortunately I don't have any great pics of it because it still needs quite a bit of work. I got hung up on making the armour because I can't decide if I want movie accurate or my own interpretation, along the lines of this other gauntlet I'm making.
(The gauntlets I'm wearing are just another pair I have.)

So for the time being it's rusting and getting dusty, which is fine as far as I'm concerned ;)

That is one awesome mask! I am inspired to try to make one. Though before I get into it. How much did it cost? I am on a bit of a budget.
PS I like your Weyland Yutani shirt.

Sothoth

Nice work! I see in the back that you must have made metal gauntlets as well!? Any chance of getting pattern? Do you take on commissions? OUTSTANDING work!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one awesome mask! I am inspired to try to make one. Though before I get into it. How much did it cost? I am on a bit of a budget.
PS I like your Weyland Yutani shirt.

It didn't cost me much actually. Most was salvaged stuff, the cardboard, the neoprene board, the rivets, the resin (a leftover from work). Paint I already had. Some of it was real cheap, secondhand stuff, the helmet, the face mask. I only had to buy the spackle, I used two tubes, that cost me about 10$. It's hard to guess what it would cost if you had to buy everything. At the end of the day it all depends on your ability to salvage things ;)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back