My Styrene Pepakura Ironman helmet

That's definitely the best looking Iron Man helmet I've seen on the RPF. Major props man, it came out looking sweet! Would love to see an entire suit built using this method.

Hi. My apologies for resurrecting this old thread but I have a couple of pics to share of my progress. I can't believe it's been more than a year ago that I started this thread. Due to work commitments I haven't had as much time this past year to spend on this as I would've liked and weekends just seemed too short to get anything worthwhile done.

After a lot of trial and error I finally got a casting that I'm happy with. I had a lot of trouble trying to slush cast the pieces and finally decided to try cavity molds instead. By using cavity molds I could have a nice smooth finish on the inside of the castings and I would be certain that every casting would be the same and also trimming the castings are a lot easier. The biggest problem I had with the cavity molds was trapped air. Unfortunately I don't have a vacuum degasser for the resin and some of the molds have to be tilted at exactly the right angle for trapped air to escape. A trick I learned that really helped a lot in getting rid of bubbles in the castings is to dust the inside of the molds with talc powder. It seems to stop tiny bubbles forming especially in corners and detail areas. The bubbles that still formed were tiny which were easily filled with modeling putty.

After trying different resins I finally settled on Smooth-Cast 305 from Smooth-on.

The first couple of pics are of the untrimmed parts directly out of the mold and still on the inner molds.

The next couple of pics are the trimmed pieces.

And the last pics are all the pieces assembled.

Thanks for looking and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue. Maybe something admin changed...annoying isn't it, not to be able to see thumbnails.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and re-upload the pics over the weekend. Maybe that'll make a difference.

That is a beautiful piece of work! Nice job on the build. WIll you attempt any of the armor pieces?

At the moment I think the helmet is probably the only thing my patience and sanity would allow. I still have a bunch of other stuff I would like to finish before I'd even start thinking of doing a whole suit.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and re-upload the pics over the weekend. Maybe that'll make a difference.

At the moment I think the helmet is probably the only thing my patience and sanity would allow. I still have a bunch of other stuff I would like to finish before I'd even start thinking of doing a whole suit.

Cheers.

Patience needs to be tested, and Sanity questioned. Good job on both.

BTW, I would love to see a video on your method posted to you tube.

Trying the pics again. I'll break the pics up into 3 separate posts. Hope it works this time.

First pics are of the untrimmed castings directly out of the mold still on the inner core molds.

Iron Man 009.jpgIron Man 018.jpgIron Man 020.jpgIron Man 022.jpg

Edit : Sorry. Still no luck with the pics. Seems to be a general problem.

http://www.therpf.com/f16/help-i-can-no-longer-upload-photos-195932/

Last edited:
Could anybody please offer any advice on painting Smooth-Cast 305 from Smooth-On ? I'm using Tamiya Grey Surface Primer but it seems it doesn't want to adhere to the urethane in some areas resulting in the primer "beading up". I cleaned the casting with dish washing liquid and wiped it with acetone to remove any oily residue but it still doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Only a small update on my progress. All the helmet pieces finally primered with Tamiya Grey Surface Primer.

Attachments

• Iron Man - Primered 005.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 005.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Iron Man - Primered 021.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 021.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Iron Man - Primered 006.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 006.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Iron Man - Primered 007.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 007.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 265
  • Iron Man - Primered 008.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 008.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Iron Man - Primered 009.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 009.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Iron Man - Primered 010.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 010.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Iron Man - Primered 003.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 003.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Iron Man - Primered 004.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 004.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Iron Man - Primered 001.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 001.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 213
  • Iron Man - Primered 011.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 011.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 423
  • Iron Man - Primered 012.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 012.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 243
  • Iron Man - Primered 013.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 013.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Iron Man - Primered 014.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 014.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 192
  • Iron Man - Primered 016.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 016.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Iron Man - Primered 018.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 018.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 199
  • Iron Man - Primered 020.jpg
    Iron Man - Primered 020.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 180
I'm re-posting a previous post of mine after trying in vain to re-upload the pics that didn't show up as thumbnails in the existing post.

Here goes.

"After a lot of trial and error I finally got a casting that I'm happy with. I had a lot of trouble trying to slush cast the pieces and finally decided to try cavity molds instead. By using cavity molds I could have a nice smooth finish on the inside of the castings and I would be certain that every casting would be the same and also trimming the castings are a lot easier. The biggest problem I had with the cavity molds was trapped air. Unfortunately I don't have a vacuum degasser for the resin and some of the molds have to be tilted at exactly the right angle for trapped air to escape. A trick I learned that really helped a lot in getting rid of bubbles in the castings is to dust the inside of the molds with talc powder. It seems to stop tiny bubbles forming especially in corners and detail areas. The bubbles that still formed were tiny which were easily filled with modeling putty.

After trying different resins I finally settled on Smooth-Cast 305 from Smooth-on.

The first couple of pics are of the untrimmed parts directly out of the mold and still on the inner molds.

The next couple of pics are the trimmed pieces.

And the last pics are all the pieces assembled.

Thanks for looking and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Cheers. "

Attachments

• IronMan022 b.jpg
    IronMan022 b.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 202
  • IronMan020 b.jpg
    IronMan020 b.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IronMan018 b.jpg
    IronMan018 b.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IronMan009 b.jpg
    IronMan009 b.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Iron Man 030 b.jpg
    Iron Man 030 b.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Iron Man 031b.jpg
    Iron Man 031b.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Iron Man 029 b.jpg
    Iron Man 029 b.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 165
  • Iron Man 028 b.jpg
    Iron Man 028 b.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Iron Man 027 b.jpg
    Iron Man 027 b.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Iron Man 032 b.jpg
    Iron Man 032 b.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Iron Man 033 b.jpg
    Iron Man 033 b.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 446
  • Iron Man 025 b.jpg
    Iron Man 025 b.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Iron Man 034 b.jpg
    Iron Man 034 b.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Iron Man 024 b.jpg
    Iron Man 024 b.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Iron Man 023 b.jpg
    Iron Man 023 b.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Iron Man 035 b.jpg
    Iron Man 035 b.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Iron Man 036 b.jpg
    Iron Man 036 b.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 282
  • Iron Man 037 b.jpg
    Iron Man 037 b.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Iron Man 038 b.jpg
    Iron Man 038 b.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Iron Man 039 b.jpg
    Iron Man 039 b.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Iron Man 040 b.jpg
    Iron Man 040 b.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Iron Man 041 b.jpg
    Iron Man 041 b.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Iron Man 042 b.jpg
    Iron Man 042 b.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 175
I was just wondering the other day if pep would work with styrene, you sir have proved that it does without a shadow of a doubt. That is some formidable talent you have there, long may it be fruitfull :thumbsup

I was just wondering the other day if pep would work with styrene, you sir have proved that it does without a shadow of a doubt. That is some formidable talent you have there, long may it be fruitfull :thumbsup

Thank you for the kind words.:$

I'm actually quite surprised that there aren't more people trying styrene to make their pepakura models. :confused I'm pretty curious to see how other people might do it.

This was my third helmet I made using styrene as modelling material. Earlier this year I started doing a biker scout helmet but kinda ran out of steam after the face plate. Hopefully I can pick it up in December when things quiet down a bit.

Attachments

• Dscf4545 a.jpg
    Dscf4545 a.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF4543.JPG
    DSCF4543.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 159
Holy crapiddle! How have I only just seen this!
I'm not sure whether I admire your talent more or your patience! (it's both, really xD )

Great work! And that's some neat casting pieces!

Its not vacformed, it's a hybrid of pepakura using 0.5 guage styrene instead of card stock which is built up in layers and then sanded.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back