My Iron Man Mark 43 Bust

EvoLutionX

Hey guys,

about two years ago I already finished a helmet build and now I decided to add a chest and neck part to the display and thought I'd share my progress with you.
For the past three weeks I worked on the chest part, which is done now, except the lighting. Next up will be the neck.

IMG_5892.JPGIMG_5963.JPGIMG_6660.JPGIMG_6678.JPGIMG_6684.JPG

Hey guys,

about two years ago I already finished a helmet build and now I decided to add a chest and neck part to the display and thought I'd share my progress with you.
For the past three weeks I worked on the chest part, which is done now, except the lighting. Next up will be the neck.

View attachment 713150View attachment 713151View attachment 713152View attachment 713153View attachment 713154
how did you make the weathering ?

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

why is this fiberglass ?isn't it eva foam?

You can see in the first picture that the chest piece is constructed out of paper (more than likely cardstock), and in the second photo it is hardened with fiberglass resin and coated in automotive body filler.

MiddleFinger, thanks mate! You're absolutely right.
ronchan32004, I used a sandpaper and sprayed silver paint on it. Then I simply brushed over the surface. For smaller scratches I used a small brush. The black accents are made with an airbrush gun.

Here are some new pictures, after the resin and fiberglass was dry, I created a little bit of thickness at the edge of the neck with epoxy putty:
IMG_6688.JPGIMG_6691.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

another quick update. I did a pretty sloppy job with sanding the neck, but since it's barely visible anyway, and the battle damage look covers surface uneveness, I don't really care :)
Another point is, that the neck is not really movie accurate. Although the pepakura file was called Mark 42 neck, it looks more like a Mark 7 or so.

I also made an insert for the beam. Next step is to light everything up and mounting everything together.

IMG_6715.JPG

EvoLution, I am also making a mark 43 armour but using EVA foam. Any tips?

what's the difference between fibreglass and EVA foam

EvoLution, I am also making a mark 43 armour but using EVA foam. Any tips?

what's the difference between fibreglass and EVA foam

That's sweet! But sorry pal, I've never worked with EVA foam. As far as I know, when you use foam you do not really reinforce it, so it stays flexible and is easy to wear. With the fiberglass, and epoxy resin, you reinforce the paper, so basically you and up with plastic-like parts. I think this method is better to get a more realistic paint job and over-all appearance. That's important for me, since I only use it for display purposes.

That's sweet! But sorry pal, I've never worked with EVA foam. As far as I know, when you use foam you do not really reinforce it, so it stays flexible and is easy to wear. With the fiberglass, and epoxy resin, you reinforce the paper, so basically you and up with plastic-like parts. I think this method is better to get a more realistic paint job and over-all appearance. That's important for me, since I only use it for display purposes.
thanks, I'll stick to EVA foam

I have another update for you guys! I built a stand out of wood, the helmet and the neck pieces snap together with magnets.
For the upper part of the chest I use a hook to hold it in place. Magnets on the lower part of the chest attach to screws on the lower part of the stand.
I may change the stand's feet, because it turned out a little bit to high in comparison to my other stuff.
Next thing will be the lighting.
IMG_6739.JPGIMG_6742.JPG

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back